Gibson Brands Forums

2019 SG Special

Bettyboo

These have been advertised in a few places over the last few months, and they turned up on the Gibson site today:

SGSP19VNCH1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

SGSP19FPCH1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

I ordered one from here: https://www.andertons.co.uk/

,but, no delivery date - a bit like the 2018 juniors and DC special...

They appear to be a 61-ish SG special that's pretty true to the original (excluding logo and tuners) - I'm looking forward to getting mine, but doubt it'll arrive this side of 2019.

Anybody know anything about these?

• Upvote 2

what color did you order?

i liked the blue one, but i dont like the price tag =(

These have been advertised in a few places over the last few months, and they turned up on the Gibson site today:

They appear to be a 61-ish SG special that's pretty true to the original (excluding logo and tuners) - I'm looking forward to getting mine, but doubt it'll arrive this side of 2019.

• Upvote 1

what color did you order?

i liked the blue one, but i dont like the price tag =(

I ordered the Pelham Blue - the Burgundy looks good in the pictures, but a special in Pelham Blue can't be overlooked.

Regarding the price, I know it looks high, but I don't think it actually is. I have a 2018 SG junior that cost the same price and that isn't over-priced, imho. I'll explain: I went into a shop to buy either a 2017 LP Classic or a 2017 SG standard (both were around $1500 at the time due to sales, new 2018 stock, etc), and I played/looked at a lot of guitars. Comparing the standard to the junior, to me, the quality of fit and finish, the sound and the playability of the junior was far superior (I went with a friend who played them both and he just presumed the junior was the much more expensive guitar). I went in expecting to buy the standard, but ended up with the junior and it's the best guitar I've ever owned or played by a distance (I've had 2 previous Gibson SGs).

Gibson Custom had/has the historic LP juniors 57/58/? that were selling for about $2500-3000, and the 2018 LP/SG juniors (and I hope this 2019 special too) seem to be closer to those than the SG standard in quality of woods, fit and finish, etc. That's probably why they changed the headstock logo and didn't put three in a line tuners - they needed to keep some differences between the 2018 USA juniors and the Custom Shop juniors - I really believe that the 2018 juniors are excellent value for money. Also, factoring in the case then comparing it to a 2019 standard which doesn't come with a case, the SG special seems like a good price to me - especially for a rarely made guitar by Gibson.

BRO, IDK N E thing about these Guitars but aside from the P-90's, they look rather pedestrian. For MY $$, I would grab a 2017 'SG' STANDARD, CHERRY SUNBURST(or the BACK BEAUTY). I got my 2017 'SG' STANDARD for $1299 ALL-IN and right now, in the USA near Philly, 2017 SG Standard's are going for $900-$1100.....IMO, GIBSON has just priced themselves out of the market, and this thing is $1500+TAX(an expensive paint job)WHAT???? They aren't kidding ?..... the 2017's have locking Grover TM's and the Trapezoid In-Lays, '57 Classic's P-Up's.....'17 was the best year for SG's in a LONG TIME..... just my $2 on the matter....

However, IDK this may do it for you...BUT SERIOUSLY? Compensated one Piece Stop-Tail/Bridge ? The Melody Maker(Mickey Mouse) T.M. Buttons? DOT In-Lays? I'd Keep Goin Boo.........

Edited by Wild Bill 212

I ordered the Pelham Blue - the Burgundy looks good in the pictures, but a special in Pelham Blue can't be overlooked.

Regarding the price, I know it looks high, but I don't think it actually is. I have a 2018 SG junior that cost the same price and that isn't over-priced, imho. I'll explain: I went into a shop to buy either a 2017 LP Classic or a 2017 SG standard (both were around $1500 at the time due to sales, new 2018 stock, etc), and I played/looked at a lot of guitars. Comparing the standard to the junior, to me, the quality of fit and finish, the sound and the playability of the junior was far superior (I went with a friend who played them both and he just presumed the junior was the much more expensive guitar). I went in expecting to buy the standard, but ended up with the junior and it's the best guitar I've ever owned or played by a distance (I've had 2 previous Gibson SGs).

Gibson Custom had/has the historic LP juniors 57/58/? that were selling for about $2500-3000, and the 2018 LP/SG juniors (and I hope this 2019 special too) seem to be closer to those than the SG standard in quality of woods, fit and finish, etc. That's probably why they changed the headstock logo and didn't put three in a line tuners - they needed to keep some differences between the 2018 USA juniors and the Custom Shop juniors - I really believe that the 2018 juniors are excellent value for money. Also, factoring in the case then comparing it to a 2019 standard which doesn't come with a case, the SG special seems like a good price to me - especially for a rarely made guitar by Gibson.

IMO,Regarding the price? It is an outrage.....considering less than 2 years ago SG Standards, 2017's(Locking TM's,'57's,Traps,Rolled Binding etc) , were $1299...this Guitar for $1500? LOL, it is beyond over-priced. The One Piece Stop-Tail/Bridge is the icing on the insult.

Different stokes for different folks...

Regarding price, the basic USA tele/strat with a poly finish is $1400, same as a 2019 Gibson SG standard (without a case) - that's just the price we pay nowadays. I've had nice $600 Korean made PRS and other guitars sitting in the rack next to my Gibsons, but just always played the SGs, so ended up selling the PRS/others; it's person by person, but I find a Gibson SG gives me the best bang for buck. I would say that a secondhand SG faded for $600 or so is always a great buy and sounds fantastic.

I can only speak from my own experience, whilst I really like the 2017 spec, especially the locking tuners, colour options and 57 in the neck (I much prefer a 498T or AY in the bridge for the type of music I enjoy, but that's neither here nor there, the 57+ is a very good pickup which many folks enjoy), but when I went into the store to buy a 2017 standard, I ended up paying $400 more for the 2018 SG junior, I just liked it that much more; I didn't expect to, but playing them side by side, that's the way I went.

There's no right or wrongs really, just our preferences. I much prefer the 2019 61' to the 2019 standard, and I prefer the special with the Pelham Blue, the dots, the case, the binding and P90s to the 2019 standard spec for similar money.

From 2016 to 2019, Gibson has given lots of variety on SG models, so there's something out there to suit most folks' taste. I also loved the 2016 P90 SG standard, and regret not getting one.

Santana-Woodstock2.jpg

• Upvote 1

Of course I wish the guitar was $599 with a hardshell case, but wish in one hand....

The 2017 Pelham Blue standards like the one I have keep climbing in price... I luckily got mine way cheap brand new.

I'm not missing out on this one...

Baby needs a little sister....

C4685-CBA-5-BB2-415-A-9-EE2-08-DEE11-F8-CE7.jpg

Do I see a Towner Tension Bar in the Stop-tail position ? the B3 Bigsby looks really COOL on SG's ,I took mine off and went with a Duesenberg Les Trem II for the Almost-Bomb-Like effect, certainly not the looks........The B5 looks GREAT , BUT, the adapter plate????? jacks it up too high ?

Different stokes for different folks...

Regarding price, the basic USA tele/strat with a poly finish is $1400, same as a 2019 Gibson SG standard (without a case) - that's just the price we pay nowadays. I've had nice $600 Korean made PRS and other guitars sitting in the rack next to my Gibsons, but just always played the SGs, so ended up selling the PRS/others; it's person by person, but I find a Gibson SG gives me the best bang for buck. I would say that a secondhand SG faded for $600 or so is always a great buy and sounds fantastic.

I can only speak from my own experience, whilst I really like the 2017 spec, especially the locking tuners, colour options and 57 in the neck (I much prefer a 498T or AY in the bridge for the type of music I enjoy, but that's neither here nor there, the 57+ is a very good pickup which many folks enjoy), but when I went into the store to buy a 2017 standard, I ended up paying $400 more for the 2018 SG junior, I just liked it that much more; I didn't expect to, but playing them side by side, that's the way I went.

There's no right or wrongs really, just our preferences. I much prefer the 2019 61' to the 2019 standard, and I prefer the special with the Pelham Blue, the dots, the case, the binding and P90s to the 2019 standard spec for similar money.

From 2016 to 2019, Gibson has given lots of variety on SG models, so there's something out there to suit most folks' taste. I also loved the 2016 P90 SG standard, and regret not getting one.

Santana-Woodstock2.jpg

YES, you are correct. The 'SG' Special Faded's are a GREAT buy for $600, used....those days may be ending tho with new ones going for $1100.Used GIBSON's are going up now too, due to the fact that the new one's are SKY-ROCKETTING ! On Memorial Day 2016, I got one., NEW, for $585 @ G.C. and I SOLD it about 6 months ago. I got what I paid for it after beating on it for 2 years...... BUT I regret selling it as it was good to practice on and beat the $#!T out of and dent the frets.....instead beating up #1 & #2. BUT, I will say, tho, LOL, I did know what a POS it really was! all I had to do was play it un-plugged to know that.....You get what you pay for.????.......Sometimes ? or , these days, if your lucky !

That 2017 standard in Pelham Blue looks fantastic - lovely guitar; the 2017 really is nicely specc'd out.

Yeah on the fadeds - $1000+ seems ridiculous for one; $750 new, mayyyyyybe. They are really nice rock n' roll machines (not overly fond of the 490 in the bridge, but that's easily swapped out).

Was playing my 2018 SG jnr last night - it's fantastic everytime I take it out of the case.

I don't understand why so many folks here think the price is unreasonable. I've just had a check and in the UK they are being advertised for £1199.

Seems pretty fair to me.

...BUT SERIOUSLY? Compensated one Piece Stop-Tail/Bridge ? The Melody Maker(Mickey Mouse) T.M. Buttons? DOT In-Lays?.........

I'm no expert on the Gibson SG model through the years - not by a long chalk - but AFAICT it's a close recreation of the '63 SG Special.

A compensated McCarty bridge/TP; small-button 3-in-a-line tuners; dot inlays; bound neck; unadorned p'head face were all standard features of that years' instrument.

The biggest difference that I can see (colours apart) is the gold silk-screened Gibson logo and that isn't exactly a deal breaker in my book.

Not that it matters but I'd much prefer those 3-in-a-line tuners to any set of Grovers you'd care to mention. I like Trap' inlays but they would be completely wrong on that Special and the compensated McCarty bridge will get anyone close enough for Rock'n'Roll.

Price-wise we seem to be being offered damn-near a (limited-edition) '63 Historic Re-issue - HSC included - for a little over USA-line money.

If it is crafted as well as it looks to be from the snaps I think it's actually a bit of a bargain.

What's not to like?

eusa_think.gif

Pip.

Edited by pippy
  • Upvote 1

I don't understand why so many folks here think the price is unreasonable. I've just had a check and in the UK they are being advertised for £1199.

Seems pretty fair to me.

I'm no expert on the Gibson SG model through the years - not by a long chalk - but AFAICT it's a close recreation of the '63 SG Special.

A compensated McCarty bridge/TP; small-button 3-in-a-line tuners; dot inlays; bound neck; unadorned p'head face were all standard features of that years' instrument.

The biggest difference that I can see (colours apart) is the gold silk-screened Gibson logo and that isn't exactly a deal breaker in my book.

Not that it matters but I'd much prefer those 3-in-a-line tuners to any set of Grovers you'd care to mention. I like Trap' inlays but they would be completely wrong on that Special and the compensated McCarty bridge will get anyone close enough for Rock'n'Roll.

Price-wise we seem to be being offered damn-near a (limited-edition) '63 Historic Re-issue - HSC included - for a little over USA-line money.

If it is crafted as well as it looks to be from the snaps I think it's actually a bit of a bargain.

What's not to like?

eusa_think.gif

Pip.

OK, the price for starters, ALSO, the Guitar is NOT being sold or marketed as a RE-ISSUE or TRIBUTE Model, it is being sold as a Gibson USA 'SG' Special THATS IT !....as far as TM's go, for that $$ I'll take Locking Chrome GROVER's(like the one's on the 2017 SG STANDARD for $1299 All-In) or even Mini-Grover's(especially) for TM.'s over the one's on that Guitar any day of the week.......and that Compensated/Stop-Tail/Bridge has got to go..... I bought an SG Special in 2016 that was worth every USDollar I paid for it, all $585 of them (it was a POS, but it was a good Guitar for just shy of $600)...this thing for nearly TRIPLE the price ? NO, NO WAY ! Regarding the Bridge/Stop-Tail, I am going to doubt that GIBSON USA is putting that THING/Bridge on that Guitar as a way to stay faithful to some previously released Guitar, NO ! its not a R.I., and so it looks like a complete cost-cutting measure.....and @ $1500, GIBSON should break-down and give their Loyal Customers a Stop-Tail/Bridge combo......

and while I am at it, the Hard Shell Case should not be trumpetted as some kind of fortunate addition customer's are lucky to get, its what a customer that plunks down $1500 for a guitar like this should get, Gratis.

I like the paint job on it and I'd like to hear it un-plugged and then thru a stack to check out the P-90's.....a fair price for this guitar ? IDK.......I wouldn't buy it.

Edited by Wild Bill 212
  • Upvote 1

Seems pretty fair to me.

What's not to like?

eusa_think.gif

Pip.

I know folks have different views, and there's no rights and wrongs in this department, but you've summed up exactly how I feel about my 2018 SG junior, and I hope to feel about my Pelham Blue 2019 SG Special when it arrives. I bought mine at 1199 pounds from Andertons; they've been in contact a couple of times, good service thusfar, but no delivery date from Gibson yet...

• Upvote 1

I was looking at old prices, out of interest, and a 1959 LP special cost $179 without a case or $193 with a basic case and $222 with a nice case. I couldn't find a 1963 pricelist with the SG special, but let's say it'd be similar to the 1959 LP special prices(?).

http://vintage.catalogs.free.fr/Gibson59.pdf

Those prices, today (if we take the above as 1963 prices, when the SG special was around, rather than 1959), equate to $1450, $1560 and $1800.

(I used this website: https://www.saving.org/inflation/inflation.php?amount=182&year=1959)

I know it's no kind of direct comparison because there are so many factors, but personally I just don't think the 2018 jnrs and 2019 specials are expensive; they seem like the same good value today that they were in the 1950s/60s.

I might buy one in each colour...

• Upvote 1

I was looking at old prices...and a 1959 LP special cost $179 without a case or $193 with a basic case and $222 with a nice case. I couldn't find a 1963 pricelist with the SG special, but let's say it'd be similar to the 1959 LP special prices(?)...

msp_thumbup.gif

I don't have a '63 price list either but I can get slightly closer if you are interested?

In the 1961 Gibson catalogue the LP/SG Special (in either finish) was listed for $210.00 and the plush-lined HSC was a further $47.50 giving us a total of $257.50.

Using the same inflation calculator as posted above that last quoted figure equates to $2,130.20 in today's terms.

£1199 in the UK and $1500 in the States?

As I said earlier; a bit of a bargain.

Pip.

• Upvote 2

Fine by me.

We have very different likes and dislikes and different ideas of what constitutes 'good value'. No biggie.

Pip.

NO, you asked me a question,"What is not to like?", yes? I answered the question.

To be fair to GIBSON USA, I have not played this Guitar as of this post. AFA what I consider a good value? When I got my 2017 SG Standard for $1299 with a HSCase I thought it was OK value. I LOVE THE GUITAR but I paid what I thought was a TOP PRICE.....and at the time, it was top $$$. BUT NOW? It was actually a bargain, and now that I see todays prices, I'm sorry I did not buy two....ppfff, in less than 2 years, $500 price increase for the same guitar? The 2019 GIBSON USA SG Standard '61=$1799 is not a good 'VALUE', IMO........BUT, it is probably as good a playing Guitar as my 2017 SG Standard is though (after I set it it up anyway)....

As far as this Guitar is concerned, as far as it being of any "VALUE" what-so-ever ? I would have to play it......I mentioned the 2016 SG Special I got for $585, that was a GOOD VALUE....(even if it was a POS).

• Upvote 1

NO, you asked me a question,"What is not to like?", yes?...

...as far as it being of any "VALUE" what-so-ever ?.....I mentioned the 2016 SG Special I got for $585, that was a GOOD VALUE....(even if it was a POS).

Eh? Actually No.

It was more by way of rhetoric than being intended as a 'real' question and furthermore it wasn't specifically directed towards you - more as a musing for anyone in the forum to ponder.

I merely quoted the points you mentioned because they seemed particularly relevant to the guitar in question.

It's not personal.

As far as good value goes? Anything which costs $585 and is a POS is a complete and utter waste of money in my book but, clearly, and as I said earlier; we have very different ideas as regards what constitutes 'good value'.

I can live with that.

Pip.

Edited by pippy