Gibson Brands Forums

New es355 vos help!

Tfdx

Hi all,I just received a 2017 es355v.o.s with Bixby as a gift.This is my first electric as I have been an acoustic player(j45 custom)for years..any advice as for stringes,maintaince,eg...i am a fingerpicker with a soft strumming hand and like blues ,jazz and rock.Any advice would be much appreciated...

Hi, welcome to the forum. I'd already answered your post in the Introductions section of the forum before I saw the one

Strings are really a personal choice, but the guitar will have come with 10 gauge when it was new and there probably the best choice. Must be nice to be given a 355 [smile]

Regards,

Ian

Congrats on the new guitar!

I too am primarily an acoustic fingerpicker with a light touch. A number of years ago, I discovered the joys of playing this style on an electric (Merle Travis, Chet Atkins drop-thump type stuff). My advice would be to stick with .010 light gauge, bring the action down as low as possible, and then enjoy how effortlessly you can go all over the fingerboard. It's quite liberating!

Thanks so much !! I know string selection is a preference choice,I have used thomasinfelds on my acoustic and love the feel and sound.I see ,they make them for electric as well.Any feedback?

Your Guitar came with .010's as the other guys mentioned most likely D'Addarios which are great Strings. Some prefer Pyramids but Strings are a matter of personal choice....

Hi ,thanks for ur responces..I have a new fender 200 s.f.x. stereo acoustic amp,can I run my 355 thru it..if not any r ecomendation on a moderately priced jazz,blues amp..I live in a apmnt so don't need anything to strong..Thnks

Archived