Gibson Brands Forums

gibson es 335 79 or 2019

jamsop

HI looking at a 1979 335 on e bay and a barely used 2019 335 antique cheery red for around the same price which one is more resalable?? id like both but obviously need to narrow down to 1!! the 79 should have been made in kalamazoo according to the serial number which i know to some is desirable, on the other hand theres also demand for new 335's despite what people think about quality coming from memphis thanks don

HI looking at a 1979 335 on e bay and a barely used 2019 335 antique cheery red for around the same price which one is more resalable?? id like both but obviously need to narrow down to 1!! the 79 should have been made in kalamazoo according to the serial number which i know to some is desirable, on the other hand theres also demand for new 335's despite what people think about quality coming from memphis thanks don

It all depends, I have and have had a number of 335's dated from the 60's to a 2018. I currently own a 2018, 2000 and a 2010, but am always in the market for a 70's walnut with trapeze.

Some problems I have with modern 335's

Pups: Gibson has taken to changing pups regularly on later models. Some have 57's, some BB's (yuck) and still others MHS. Depending on pups I greatly prefer 57's, MHS, and dead last BB's.

The neck profile is variable. Those with dot marker necks are very different than those with block markers. I prefer the latter, and I have both.

Some things I like about the modern 335's are:

Some of the "Figured" models just look spectacular.

Natural finishes (and oddballs like the berry burst) are more common

Some things I like about the 70's 335's are:

Colors: I think the reds were nicer straight out of the box, and they aged beautifully. The walnut coloration is stone beautiful.

Tailpieces: some had trapeze TP's, I like them a lot.

Pickups: The few I owned were back when I had a Fender bandmaster and later on a Hiwatt and I loved them. Which pup was which I have no idea.

Some problems with 70's models that may make resale a bit harder:

1979 has the "Norlin" stigma attached to it, but I have no problem with that.

Some have an irrational dislike for the volute, again I have no problem with it.

Since I already have a number of 335's and clones, I'd likely choose the 70's model, but if it were going to be my only one, I might pick the modern one and then only if it had 57's, my fave pup.

Archived