• You cannot reply to this topic

Help me spend money! 12 string opinions sought

#21 User is offline   kidblast 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:11 PM

View PostFemmeParallell, on 09 November 2018 - 11:54 AM, said:

All i can add is i've played a new Guild 12 string, i believe it was the F-2512E, they sound nice but they are made in China (in case that matters to you)

yep, that's one of the ones I'm considering..

aware of the "country of origin", If the price isn't a dead give away then nothing is.. but that doesn't bother me. The "MADE IN xxxx", is not an issue for me. This guild gets some very + reviews. All solid woods, (top, back, sides), discrete fishman pickup on board, etc.

how did you find the neck profile, and (I assume..) the factory setup? was she easy to play, or did ya have to fight a bit with it?

This post has been edited by kidblast: 09 November 2018 - 02:12 PM

/Ray

#22 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• Jumbo Go Away
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:14 PM

View Postkidblast, on 06 November 2018 - 10:50 AM, said:

I tried a few at GC last week, not sure of the model, they were imports, necks were a bit on the large side, and unfortunately so badly bowed they were unplayable,

I do not own and refuse to own foreign guitars. If it is not Made In The USA it will not come to my house.

#23 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• Jumbo Go Away
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 09 November 2018 - 02:19 PM

Here is what I got and it has make an offer. I love mine.

https://reverb.com/i...p-guitar-w-ohsc

#24 User is offline   kidblast 

• Advanced Member

Posted 11 November 2018 - 05:03 PM

View PostFZ Fan, on 09 November 2018 - 02:14 PM, said:

I do not own and refuse to own foreign guitars. If it is not Made In The USA it will not come to my house.

So just curious, is it a Loyalty aspect? like Buy ONLY usa stuff, or is there something else averting you? all my primary guitars ARE USA made, but that said; I've really had good luck lately with a few imports that I've purchased, I didn't keep all of them, but it wasn't because they sucked.

Just moved them to bring something else in.

PS: I have tried several Martins at a GC a few weeks ago. (not that one you show) but these were in fact imports, the necks are a bit too big for my hands. And sadly the necks on all of these were in horrendous condition, (I know, not the makers fault...) It's been my experience in general with Martins, that the neck profiles are just a bit too thick for my small hands. Both 6 string and 12.
/Ray

#25 User is offline   BluesKing777 

• Advanced Member

Posted 11 November 2018 - 05:23 PM

Nothing to do with any of these, KB, and while iI have never seen or heard one, it is my duty to 12 strings and humanity to show you this 12 that got a 10/10 in Guitarist UK Magazine.

The Auden Austin 12....looked up the mag site but not there yet - found it in a 'press reader'//whatever that is, but hope you can read the article:

https://www.pressrea...283536566651716

Auden Guitars:

http://audenguitars.com/

BluesKing777.

#26 User is offline   FemmeParallell 

• Advanced Member

Posted 12 November 2018 - 05:00 PM

View Postkidblast, on 09 November 2018 - 02:11 PM, said:

yep, that's one of the ones I'm considering..

aware of the "country of origin", If the price isn't a dead give away then nothing is.. but that doesn't bother me. The "MADE IN xxxx", is not an issue for me. This guild gets some very + reviews. All solid woods, (top, back, sides), discrete fishman pickup on board, etc.

how did you find the neck profile, and (I assume..) the factory setup? was she easy to play, or did ya have to fight a bit with it?

I was surprised it was Made in China to tell you the truth, very decent sound, and the neck was very comfortable (i have small hands by the way), i didnt play it at the store so i wouldnt know about the factory set up sorry, i played it at a friends house he bought it for another person and he does professional set ups so when i played it he already worked his magic on it. Only played it unplugged (dont even know if it comes with a pickup).
I also dont let the Made in XX fool me, i had a 6 string Alvarez that i sold a couple of months ago (beacause i changed it for a J185) and it was a really great made in china guitar hehe, but i try to play the Chinese guitars first before getting one

Good luck!

#27 User is offline   kidblast 

• Advanced Member

Posted 13 November 2018 - 05:47 AM

View PostFemmeParallell, on 12 November 2018 - 05:00 PM, said:

I was surprised it was Made in China to tell you the truth, very decent sound, and the neck was very comfortable (i have small hands by the way), i didnt play it at the store so i wouldnt know about the factory set up sorry, i played it at a friends house he bought it for another person and he does professional set ups so when i played it he already worked his magic on it. Only played it unplugged (dont even know if it comes with a pickup).
I also dont let the Made in XX fool me, i had a 6 string Alvarez that i sold a couple of months ago (beacause i changed it for a J185) and it was a really great made in china guitar hehe, but i try to play the Chinese guitars first before getting one

Good luck!

That was very helpful, There is a Fishman Sonitone installed in these. I've watched a number of demos, and seen lots of reviews.

All of them give it great ratings. It does look like a nice option for the money.

thx FemmeParallel
/Ray

#28 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• Jumbo Go Away
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 13 November 2018 - 09:42 AM

View Postkidblast, on 11 November 2018 - 05:03 PM, said:

So just curious, is it a Loyalty aspect? like Buy ONLY usa stuff, or is there something else averting you? all my primary guitars ARE USA made, but that said; I've really had good luck lately with a few imports that I've purchased, I didn't keep all of them, but it wasn't because they sucked.

Just moved them to bring something else in.

PS: I have tried several Martins at a GC a few weeks ago. (not that one you show) but these were in fact imports, the necks are a bit too big for my hands. And sadly the necks on all of these were in horrendous condition, (I know, not the makers fault...) It's been my experience in general with Martins, that the neck profiles are just a bit too thick for my small hands. Both 6 string and 12.

Just personal preference for my axes. My 2 Fender amps are USA Made (Deville and Blues Jr), my Mesa TA-15 I am not sure if it is USA Made or not even though I know Mesa is a company out of Petaluma, CA (where I was stationed in the Coast Guard). My Acoustic B100 Bass amp is Chinese or Korean. My Egnater Tweaker 40 Combo is made in Korea I believe. Not sure when My pedals are made (I have Boss, Way Huge and MRX) I assure overseas.

The Martin J1216GT was made from 2001 till 2012, 3 or 4 I think. I love it. The neck does not bother me one bit. I can thoroughly destroy and not in a good way The Song Remains The Same.

#29 User is offline   kidblast 

• Advanced Member

Posted 13 November 2018 - 11:26 AM

View PostFZ Fan, on 13 November 2018 - 09:42 AM, said:

Just personal preference for my axes. My 2 Fender amps are USA Made (Deville and Blues Jr), my Mesa TA-15 I am not sure if it is USA Made or not even though I know Mesa is a company out of Petaluma, CA (where I was stationed in the Coast Guard). My Acoustic B100 Bass amp is Chinese or Korean. My Egnater Tweaker 40 Combo is made in Korea I believe. Not sure when My pedals are made (I have Boss, Way Huge and MRX) I assure overseas.

The Martin J1216GT was made from 2001 till 2012, 3 or 4 I think. I love it. The neck does not bother me one bit. I can thoroughly destroy and not in a good way The Song Remains The Same.

HA!!! we'll at least it's not Stairway, Right??!!?? I get the preference, definitely do.

I have a pretty healthy collection of USA made guitars, 6 Gibson's, 3 Fenders, and 2 Taylors. Main amps are a 4x10 deville, US made, my Goldtone and my Marshall are British made. I have a few import guitars, and other items that fit they need where the US "="'s for some are in the ball park of $4x more. a fair compromise.

I have a 1978 Yari (Japanese, hand made) D25 copy that is an awesome Dreadnaught, I've had it for many years, had it restored a few years ago, (some frets replaced, new nut/saddle, machine heads, and replaced the pickup system). we've got history.. me and that one. not for selling consideration.

This 12 string, will most likely be something I don't use a ton, didn't feel I needed to get north of $2,500 to fill the gap. I did happen on a few nice used Taylor 12 strings that would have probably been a reasonable option, but each one had it's ups and downs, so I for now, moved on from them.

This post has been edited by kidblast: 13 November 2018 - 11:27 AM

/Ray

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users