Gibson Brands Forums

Help me spend money!

kidblast

Hi all

Looking to scoop up another 12 string, but trying to keep the cost to somewhere under a kings ransom (that means Gibson choices are not applicable!)

Wondering if any of yous guys have had your hands on either one of these?

So far the front runners are:

Washburn Comfort 12: https://www.washburn.com/product/g15sce-12-string/

Guild F-1512E https://guildguitars.com/g/westerly-f-1512/

Takamine GJ72CE (natural) https://www.takamine.com/GJ72CE-12NAT

I am leaning towards the Washburn, I sort of like that bevel/arm rest

Yet, that Guild seems to be a fine guitar, as does the Takamine

any advice, or insights on any of these?

I cant helps with those, but I did try out a 12 string two years ago... a Taylor https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/362ce

It was about $1600 I think, and after ten days I brought it back just because I couldnt see myself fitting it in to what I do like I thought I could.

However, it was great. especially plugged in. Nice rich sound and a small body too. It really was like a parlor trick for me though. Used it on two songs... hahaha. But the err was mine and not Taylor's.

Good luck Kid.

A guy at a local open mic plays a Taylor 12 string and it sounds very good. It is a 3- or 4 series I think. He has it strung with flat wound strings and they impart a nice full but mellow sound. Works for what he does with it (fingerstyle blues).

Rb

Thank ya boys!

yea, Taylors are hard to beat. and I love my Taylors, (have 2) and truth be told, my first plan is the Taylor 522ce 12fret 12str. still on the fence, I don't know if ~$3k for a 12 string is really what I need to do, not that I don't want it, cuz I'd be lyin if I said otherwise, but trying to look at some reasonable alternatives along the way.

The 300 / 400 series are good options too, but they're not that far off from the 500s. and I do like those. (Have a 514NYCE, a great guitar)

I did go to a few stores to have a look at what might be hanging on the walls, but nothing there I had on the list unfortunately. A GC in Portsmouth NH while I was on vacation was one stop, and it was rather disappointing. The necks on almost all of them were a horror show (major bows) and a new Takamine Dreadnaught, which was unboxed 2 days before I got there, already had a nasty gash in the top. (a Black one, which is not my choice of color, and made that scratch jump right out at me) waste of time...

Is Gibson used out of the question... not sure about anything about anything except it's a Gibson 12 string for $900- worth a look maybe? (no affiliation) Guess my question to the team is does anyone have any experience, opinions on Gibson 12 strings from the '70s and pitfalls one should look out for... or is it shiny new you're looking for?

I’d go for the Takamine, they’re hugely underrated guitars in my opinion and are making some wonderful instruments at the moment. Glorious plugged in tone too.

thx Jinder, they are the ones so far with the best reviews hands down, haven't read a bad one yet It may breach the short list

thx Jinder, they are the ones so far with the best reviews hands down, haven't read a bad one yet It may breach the short list

Also... I have a Takamine P3DC that I am selling (not relevant to you) that I bought a few months ago. The only reason I am selling it is because of the Gibby J45 maneuver I just pulled. So while I havent played a Tak 12 string, I can tell you the quality of my P3DC is fantastic... Whoever buys my used one will be lucky.

Of your three I would lean TAK... I should have said that in my first post.

So much good stuff around today MIC etc at very low prices.....

Personal current go-to is a Taylor 354 12 str

Also a Breedlove and formerly an Ovation.....[thumbup]

Recently sold the Takamine mentioned earlier....very good VFM, looks and build quality

There is even a Fender lurking in the undergrowth somewhere with a Baggs P/U at a ridiculously low price.....[thumbup]

Happy Hunting.....[biggrin]

V

:-({|=

I could drag out the classic joke (Pete Seeger).......

“12 strings - you spend half your life tuning the instrument and the other half playing out of tune”.

I had a 64 Gibson 12 string with the massive neck and 2” plus nut.......long gone and don’t miss it. I have never tried a new Taylor type ‘convenient to play’ 12 string.....won’t.

BluesKing777.

I've owned a few 12 strings and they all fell victim to 'sell'em because it doesn't get played".

A few years ago I got a good deal on a U.S. made Martin 12 string so now I don't feel bad if it sets around for a while.

I've owned a few 12 strings and they all fell victim to 'sell'em because it doesn't get played".

A few years ago I got a good deal on a U.S. made Martin 12 string so now I don't feel bad if it sets around for a while.

YES! This is exactly what is straying me from a 500 series Taylor, or one of the US Made Guilds. (all in the $3k range new)

The other issue is the neck, I'm starting feel the effects of father time, and I believe I have some mild flare ups of the arthritic nature coming on in my fretting hand index finger knuckle.

Anyway, very good points made here, and I appreciate everyone's thoughts on this, even tho it opens up more options that I have been considering, it's a good eye opener.

I would go used if the price was right, the setup was good and it wasn't used for a cheese cutting board..

Early this summer I got a Martin J12-16GT that was new old stock for about $1200. It is a fabulous guitar. It think it even as an ebony board. Its a Martin and do not know if you like them. I saw a few others on Reverb at around the same price, but the one I got was free shipping.

I tried a few at GC last week, not sure of the model, they were imports, necks were a bit on the large side, and unfortunately so badly bowed they were unplayable,

All i can add is i've played a new Guild 12 string, i believe it was the F-2512E, they sound nice but they are made in China (in case that matters to you)

yep, that's one of the ones I'm considering..

aware of the "country of origin", If the price isn't a dead give away then nothing is.. but that doesn't bother me. The "MADE IN xxxx", is not an issue for me. This guild gets some very + reviews. All solid woods, (top, back, sides), discrete fishman pickup on board, etc.

how did you find the neck profile, and (I assume..) the factory setup? was she easy to play, or did ya have to fight a bit with it?

I do not own and refuse to own foreign guitars. If it is not Made In The USA it will not come to my house.

So just curious, is it a Loyalty aspect? like Buy ONLY usa stuff, or is there something else averting you? all my primary guitars ARE USA made, but that said; I've really had good luck lately with a few imports that I've purchased, I didn't keep all of them, but it wasn't because they sucked.

Just moved them to bring something else in.

PS: I have tried several Martins at a GC a few weeks ago. (not that one you show) but these were in fact imports, the necks are a bit too big for my hands. And sadly the necks on all of these were in horrendous condition, (I know, not the makers fault...) It's been my experience in general with Martins, that the neck profiles are just a bit too thick for my small hands. Both 6 string and 12.

Nothing to do with any of these, KB, and while iI have never seen or heard one, it is my duty to 12 strings and humanity to show you this 12 that got a 10/10 in Guitarist UK Magazine.

The Auden Austin 12....looked up the mag site but not there yet - found it in a 'press reader'//whatever that is, but hope you can read the article:

https://www.pressreader.com/australia/guitarist/20180921/283536566651716

Auden Guitars:

http://audenguitars.com/

BluesKing777.

yep, that's one of the ones I'm considering..

aware of the "country of origin", If the price isn't a dead give away then nothing is.. but that doesn't bother me. The "MADE IN xxxx", is not an issue for me. This guild gets some very + reviews. All solid woods, (top, back, sides), discrete fishman pickup on board, etc.

how did you find the neck profile, and (I assume..) the factory setup? was she easy to play, or did ya have to fight a bit with it?

I was surprised it was Made in China to tell you the truth, very decent sound, and the neck was very comfortable (i have small hands by the way), i didnt play it at the store so i wouldnt know about the factory set up sorry, i played it at a friends house he bought it for another person and he does professional set ups so when i played it he already worked his magic on it. Only played it unplugged (dont even know if it comes with a pickup).

I also dont let the Made in XX fool me, i had a 6 string Alvarez that i sold a couple of months ago (beacause i changed it for a J185) and it was a really great made in china guitar hehe, but i try to play the Chinese guitars first before getting one

Good luck!

I was surprised it was Made in China to tell you the truth, very decent sound, and the neck was very comfortable (i have small hands by the way), i didnt play it at the store so i wouldnt know about the factory set up sorry, i played it at a friends house he bought it for another person and he does professional set ups so when i played it he already worked his magic on it. Only played it unplugged (dont even know if it comes with a pickup).

I also dont let the Made in XX fool me, i had a 6 string Alvarez that i sold a couple of months ago (beacause i changed it for a J185) and it was a really great made in china guitar hehe, but i try to play the Chinese guitars first before getting one

Good luck!

That was very helpful, There is a Fishman Sonitone installed in these. I've watched a number of demos, and seen lots of reviews.

All of them give it great ratings. It does look like a nice option for the money.

thx FemmeParallel

Just personal preference for my axes. My 2 Fender amps are USA Made (Deville and Blues Jr), my Mesa TA-15 I am not sure if it is USA Made or not even though I know Mesa is a company out of Petaluma, CA (where I was stationed in the Coast Guard). My Acoustic B100 Bass amp is Chinese or Korean. My Egnater Tweaker 40 Combo is made in Korea I believe. Not sure when My pedals are made (I have Boss, Way Huge and MRX) I assure overseas.

The Martin J1216GT was made from 2001 till 2012, 3 or 4 I think. I love it. The neck does not bother me one bit. I can thoroughly destroy and not in a good way The Song Remains The Same.

HA!!! we'll at least it's not Stairway, Right??!!?? I get the preference, definitely do.

I have a pretty healthy collection of USA made guitars, 6 Gibson's, 3 Fenders, and 2 Taylors. Main amps are a 4x10 deville, US made, my Goldtone and my Marshall are British made. I have a few import guitars, and other items that fit they need where the US "="'s for some are in the ball park of $4x more. a fair compromise.

I have a 1978 Yari (Japanese, hand made) D25 copy that is an awesome Dreadnaught, I've had it for many years, had it restored a few years ago, (some frets replaced, new nut/saddle, machine heads, and replaced the pickup system). we've got history.. me and that one. not for selling consideration.

This 12 string, will most likely be something I don't use a ton, didn't feel I needed to get north of $2,500 to fill the gap. I did happen on a few nice used Taylor 12 strings that would have probably been a reasonable option, but each one had it's ups and downs, so I for now, moved on from them.

Archived