Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Factory Label Question Hummingbird

chriscwill07

So I just purchased a 1998 "Early 60's" Hummingbird (reissue) online. Everything looked in order except I noticed that the label showed "Early '60s Hummingbird". It looked strange to me so I started researching other guitars of this model. The other birds I was seeing had "Early 60's Hummingbird" as the model. Very subtle difference. To be honest I thought I had bought a fake for a second. I mean why would they be different? After some vigorous researching I found another guitar with the same issue. I'm assuming two different techs stamped these labels and misprinted the name. Or two different stations making labels. I can assume this is not a fake right? Just a quality control problem? Kind of unique and quirky if you ask me. Anybody heard of this or can educate me on why that is????

Well, this is a new one on me...I had to read your OP about 5 times to see the difference (stupid bifocals)...my kneejerk reaction is to contact Gibson, but I'm sure others here will give better responses...hope it turns out to not be a fake (I suspect it's legit)...

You’re ok. Of course pics (using image hosting site imgur.com would be best to embed photo in your post) or it didn’t happen. Labeling mistakes happen all the time and are so Gibson . . . I’ve seen it spelled Humminbird as well.

And welcome to the forum.

Edit: Also- 1998 could’ve been a transition year going back from long (25.4”?) to short scale… Check and report back, if you could. And does the 1960s reissue also carry with it a more narrow nut width? Congrats on the new bird- they are great guitars.

To be honest I thought I had bought a fake for a second.

Heh he. . .

Hi and welcome inside (the voliere).

What a good start - no detail is too small for this Board. I recently zoomed in on pick-guard-pixelation.

Post a pic and a sound or two - and feel at home.

I briefly owned a 99 Early 60s Hummingbird reissue. It was more powerful and loud for certain the any other Bird I have owned - a thicker sound... and a heavy guitar. Great guitar!

I did one recording with it at home having fun with an old Kenny Loggins tune:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/141987-angry-eyes/page__p__1924520__hl__%2B1999+%2Bhummingbird__fromsearch__1#entry1924520

So I just purchased a 1998 "Early 60's" Hummingbird (reissue) online. Everything looked in order except I noticed that the label showed "Early '60s Hummingbird". It looked strange to me so I started researching other guitars of this model. The other birds I was seeing had "Early 60's Hummingbird" as the model. Very subtle difference. To be honest I thought I had bought a fake for a second. I mean why would they be different? After some vigorous researching I found another guitar with the same issue. I'm assuming two different techs stamped these labels and misprinted the name. Or two different stations making labels. I can assume this is not a fake right? Just a quality control problem? Kind of unique and quirky if you ask me. Anybody heard of this or can educate me on why that is????

The folks that go to the "Homecoming" all know the answer to this. The location where the labels are put in is called the set-up area. The guys doing the work there get a guitar off the rack and make it playable. You know, they put on the tuners and strings and make quality control inspections. They also hand type a label for the guitar. They have been using this old,very old electric typewriter that has a very small font. The folks doing the typing are just not very good with a typewriter. There are many instances of very humorous labels out there. Once when the typewriter finally gave out there was a general panic until the local office equipment store found a guy that was so old he could remember typewriters and sent him out to fix it. It has nothing to do with quality control. It's just a typo.

If you can remember back that far then you know that if you make a mistake with a typewriter there is little you can do to correct it. It's all good so just play it and don't think about the fact that a typo on the label can seriously affect the sound quality.

I briefly owned a 99 Early 60s Hummingbird reissue. It was more powerful and loud for certain the any other Bird I have owned - a thicker sound... and a heavy guitar. Great guitar!

I did one recording with it at home having fun with an old Kenny Loggins tune:

http://forum.gibson...._1#entry1924520

im picking up "new music" here hehe (im 37), loved the song

Archived