Gibson Brands Forums

Gettting to know Garageband ...

EuroAussie

Ive used only Garagaband to record very very basic guitar vocals and guitar in the past.

But Ive finally started to look at the other features a bit deeper, percussion and other goodies ....such great toy shop.

Do others use Garageband regularly here, how do you find it, was it a large learning curve or is it mainly an intense weekend of foucusing and toying with the gadgets ..?

Anyway, had a go tonite at a Ryan Adams track (Prisoner) with some stock drumming / percussion backing track.

Hope you enjoy it, if you have tips and hints what also works in Garageband for this kind of recoding very happy to hear it.

ps: TRACK REMOVED, NEED TO REDO THE DRUMS

Dear EA - the drums are out of control. You must really count to 4 here.

And go gentle with the fills. In fact you should find a teacher/guide, , , let's say a producer to lead you into these tricks.

Have fun, Prague ^

Oh yeah, the drums are crazy, especially the fills. Actually im meeting up with an experienced hand to learn the fundamentals.

Great fun though experimenting, but im going to remove this track and have another go over weekend with some more training.

When multitracking in garageband, the timing is critical. It has a metronome where you can set the time sig and the speed. Always start there and have it going in your headphones before you lay down the first track (which for me is typically guitar or guitar and vocals together).

Then subsequently you can listen to that first track in headphones whilst you lay down some percussion or bass through an Apogee Jam.

I tried using garageband canned percussion tracks, but never could figure it out. Their canned rhythms are not what I hear in my head as appropriate for the song. The only time I think it worked for me is one original I recorded called Bay Ridge Mile.

Other times, I simply added my own light percussion using egg shakers, or a cajon with brushes... and that is delicate. You must have the other tracks going in your ear cans so you can feel and time right, and even then it is not perfect. Here is an example of the imperfection...

Good luck

I love Garageband! Simple yet effective way of making recordings, without having to mess with the various issues coming with a PC-setup. I especially love the fact that virtual instruments, such as strings and keyboards, can be played in real time, with bars for each chord that you slide your finger on. You don't have to know regular chord shapes to play chords on for example the virtual keyboard. These bars are pressure sensitive, so you can add dynamics by pressing harder/softer. I use this a lot to try and add atmosphere to songs. Here is such an example with added virtual strings:

https://soundcloud.com/lars1968/an-invisible-hand

Note, the strings are not programmed, they are played "live" on the iPad screen, while listening to the track in headphones.

I have added an audio unit de-esser plug-in, apart from that, I think Garageband has all I need. The most important thing for me is simple recording. I hate to spend time messing with equipment and software.

Lars

Thanks guys, that sounds very encouraging. Im going to take a look at a few tutorial over the weekend, and then go deeper, exploring this black box a bit more.

When its proper and good Ill share the material ...maybe even an original track that Im working on.

cheers,

EA

When multitracking in garageband, the timing is critical. It has a metronome where you can set the time sig and the speed. Always start there and have it going in your headphones before you lay down the first track (which for me is typically guitar or guitar and vocals together).

Then subsequently you can listen to that first track in headphones whilst you lay down some percussion or bass through an Apogee Jam.

I tried using garageband canned percussion tracks, but never could figure it out. Their canned rhythms are not what I hear in my head as appropriate for the song. The only time I think it worked for me is one original I recorded called Bay Ridge Mile.

Other times, I simply added my own light percussion using egg shakers, or a cajon with brushes... and that is delicate. You must have the other tracks going in your ear cans so you can feel and time right, and even then it is not perfect. Here is an example of the imperfection...

Good luck

And Sal ..on the 2nd track did you use a harmoniser / doubler or just simply recorded two or three voices on seperate tracks ?

Lots of DAWs, plugin companies to choose from. You really can't go wrong when starting off. You can transfer all of the important knowledge from one platform to another. The concepts of mixing doesn't change just because of the DAW used.

The one tutorial site I've used more than most is Groove 3. Groove 3 They cover almost every DAW out there as well as lots of plugin companies/developers. The all-access pass is pricey, but is on sale every November. I know there is lots of free stuff on You Tube, but these videos are well organized and professional. Good stuff. I think some of the video series have one "random" video for free preview, too. A very good alternative, but more costly is Pure Mix. Pure Mix

OK - now some free stuff. Many plug in companies have free plugins to introduce you to their line-up. Their sites almost always have mini-tutorials on their product(s). Some companies have a lot more in-depth and broader-stroke tutorials sections than others. A few examples.

Waves Videos and Waves Mixing Tips

Plug In Alliance

Izotope

And a few free plug-ins to augment what your DAW came with. (a couple of my favorite freebies in here...) Don't be afraid of plugins. Most cover the VST, AU or AAX standards, of which at least one is used and supported by whatever DAW you choose.

Softube's Saturation Knob

Blue Cat's FreePack

Plugin Alliance Freebies

Most companies have at least one freebie.

Enjoy!!!!

Once you really get into it, you'll realize that Logic Pro is what you want. That's what happened to me anyway. :) The good thing is that Logic will open your GarageBand projects.

Agree 100%.

I use GB for just laying down quick ideas/demos and use Logic Pro for more polished recordings. Both platforms are very useful and have their place.

Archived