Gibson Brands Forums

2018 Gibson J45 Mahogany vs 2012 Gibson J50

MorrisrownSal

Both of those guitars sound great. I played a all-mahogany J45 that looks just like the one you have there; natural finish, gold tuners, etc. and it sounded AMAZING, but the shop that had it were selling it for (in my opinion) way too much and wouldn't budge off of MSRP. So I ended up finding the other version of the all-hog J45 in a burst (basically looks like a J45 Standard, but the top burst is a little darker due to the mahogany top) and ordered one for a great price. Big disappointment when it arrived and sounded dull and lifeless.

For an all-mahogany guitar I really think it's tough to beat the Martin 000-15M. These really are such sweet, versatile and beautiful sounding guitars. If the 1 11/16" nut is too narrow, LA Guitar Sales does a CS version with a 1 3/4" nut and also does it in a gloss finish for a little more $$$, but they really are stellar. Not knocking the all-hog J45's because, as I mentioned I think they can sound great as well. The one that sounded great is hard to describe. It sounded like a J45, but was just a little warmer and lusher and more polite that a Standard J45/J50. Paired really well with the human voice, but you do lose just a little of the mid-range articulation and note separation you get with the spruce top. Not better or worse, just different!

Both of those guitars sound great. I played a all-mahogany J45 that looks just like the one you have there; natural finish, gold tuners, etc. and it sounded AMAZING, but the shop that had it were selling it for (in my opinion) way too much and wouldn't budge off of MSRP. So I ended up finding the other version of the all-hog J45 in a burst (basically looks like a J45 Standard, but the top burst is a little darker due to the mahogany top) and ordered one for a great price. Big disappointment when it arrived and sounded dull and lifeless.

For an all-mahogany guitar I really think it's tough to beat the Martin 000-15M. These really are such sweet, versatile and beautiful sounding guitars. If the 1 11/16" nut is too narrow, LA Guitar Sales does a CS version with a 1 3/4" nut and also does it in a gloss finish for a little more $$$, but they really are stellar. Not knocking the all-hog J45's because, as I mentioned I think they can sound great as well. The one that sounded great is hard to describe. It sounded like a J45, but was just a little warmer and lusher and more polite that a Standard J45/J50. Paired really well with the human voice, but you do lose just a little of the mid-range articulation and note separation you get with the spruce top. Not better or worse, just different!

I have a 20 yr old 00-15, & I couldn’t agree more! Martin has this all mahogany thing down. Not a big Martin fan, but their 15 series is outstanding. IMHO.

Hey gents...

I am going to re do the comparison over the weekend. I put new tuners on the mahogany top 45, and changed the strings to the exact ones on the J50; I want to make sure the comp is apples to apples as much as I can make that be the case.

Let's let this thread dies, and if you guys dont mind my spamming the forum I will put one up over the weekend, as well as a more detailed and thoughtful review.

You know to see the excitement about the hog tops os cool. I have a 1943 J45 with a hog top and was concerned about sound. Until it was re-braced and set up right. All I can say hunting for the next Holy Grail has stopped for me.

I gotta ask. Why buy a guitar that you disliked the sound of so much you would have it re-braced

Strange... I cant edit my original post to take out the dead youtube...

Anyways - I recorded The two this morning - the J45 Mahogany and the J50. Each guitar plays four samples... two strumming, and two finger picking. Back to back. Forgive the fingerpicking. Its early in the morning and I guess I am starting to have arthritic stuff happen. Maybe I should have done this later in the day...warmer. Anyways, so be it. In each selection, the Hog is first.

Unfortunately, the J45 Mahogany is pretty new, and the J50 has a head start of six years of heavy playing; I'd love to hear this Hog after a few years. Actually I will. I know I will.

https://soundcloud.c...j45-mahogany-vs

BejXRbYl.jpg?1

Yeah, the forum is acting up a little- there is a post on the Forum Feedback section of the Forums home page about not being able to edit an OP.

Ok- yes, the J-50 is validating the whole opening-up thing now that they're on the same strings. The interesting trait of my old mahogany J-45 shows itself when played at a fairly higher playing intensity. The sound has a lot of compression at the upper limits.

They both sound great....very similar to my ears especially when strummed. The 50 shines a little better in fingerpicking mode, as the highs are a wee bit better articulated. The new kid is destined to be a great addition to your stable, Sal, and I’m betting on it hanging around for a long time.

Glad you found the 45 hog. Looking forward to hearing more tunes recorded and posted with it. Maybe Sweet Mellisa, as that strum sample was a great start.

Best regards,Roger

Archived