Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Forum Contingency (Acoustic Version)

drathbun

I posted this in the forum feedback forum but also wanted to get this group's opinion.

Given that there is new Gibson management in place, there is at least the potential of the new group seeing these forums as irrelevant, a waste of resources or even places of potential liability. What, if any, are the contingencies for migrating the Gibson discussions to a neutral location, as in, "The Unofficial Gibson Acoustic Guitar Discussion Forum"? (trips right off the tongue doesn't it? UGAGDF!)

Even though I have various brands of acoustic and electric guitars, and I belong to a number of different guitar forums, I tend to see this Gibson Acoustic group as my guitar discussion "home". If it went away, where would we meet?

It's going to be the opposite...this site will be viewed as a potential *cash cow* with info and loyal brand fans that need a forum like this. The *powers that be* can re-adjust and fine tune this site-like adding the for sale page and others....wake up Gibson, your fans are watching!msp_thumbup.gif

I get all of those arguments FOR having an OFFICIAL forum. It seems to make sense to me. So why isn't there an official Taylor or official Martin guitar forum? Could it be that those manufacturers are mostly acoustic guitar companies? Fender, Rickenbacker and PRS all have official forums.

Are we Gibson acoustic players just fortunate that Gibson makes electric guitars and then makes acoustics as a minor side business?

I also doubt they would get rid of the forums, it probably costs next to nothing to operate (I have a site that costs me $100/year for unlimited storage/bandwidth for example). If Gibson is going to start pinching pennies like that, then there are probably some bigger things to worry about.

It would be a shame if they got rid of the forum. I've enjoyed participating here, but the first 65 years of my life were also fine. [biggrin]

To shut this place down would be more than sad, , , it would be a major mistake.

I remember we talked about the Gibson head-staff's opinion on the Forum 2-3-4 years ago.

Somebody, apparently with insight, claimed they never offered these pages a thought/view, which frankly made me wonder.

EuroAussie, (who is or were involved in some kind of marketing-business), stated that it was an unwise move and that the discussions here represented precious value.

Yes, I still have good memory, EA, and you might recall the thread yourself. Guess everyone knows better now.

Anyway - to close the lid on this fine guitar case and lock it away under a bed, would be a blunder of dimensions.

As long as people behave (haven't any touch with the Lounge), the crew-members exchange as we sail down Board River, is the best prezz Gibson can get.

I don't want to get fired.

How does the system work, KS?

For instance, my work's Help Desk and most IT stuff is run from somewhere in Manilla, Phillipines since being taken over by a bigger company. The computer servers use to be in a large room in the building we worked in. With the attendant people coming and going...

Now I just log in to ....don't know...somewhere. [unsure]

So how does Gibson's internet and forums operate? At head office? Or somewhere in the ether?

I ask because obviously how much it all costs to keep running will determine how long it runs!

BluesKing777.

I'm sure they'll keep this forum going. If not, someone will start a new one somewhere.

I know most of you know about the AGF forum. When the owner decided to delete the "Taylor Guitar" section I joking said someone should start a dedicated Taylor forum.

That person ended up being me. Started the UTGF back in 2011 and it's grown into a nice community like this one. [biggrin]

I'm sure they'll keep this forum going. If not, someone will start a new one somewhere.

I know most of you know about the AGF forum. When the owner decided to delete the "Taylor Guitar" section I joking said someone should start a dedicated Taylor forum.

That person ended up being me. Started the UTGF back in 2011 and it's grown into a nice community like this one. [biggrin]

Good for you jjrpilot! If this forum should ever disappear, I hope that someone (nudge nudge wink wink) will do exactly what you did (nudge nudge). ;) ;)

It's going to be the opposite...this site will be viewed as a potential *cash cow* with info and loyal brand fans that need a forum like this. The *powers that be* can re-adjust and fine tune this site-like adding the for sale page and others....wake up Gibson, your fans are watching!msp_thumbup.gif

would love to see the for sale forum return

I agree with Vaca....

Guitar forums feed purchases. Induce GAS. If I never found a Guitar forum I would have bought about twenty fewer guitars.

I totally agree this forum rocks. As a rookie player, I took up the habit when I retired. I now am the proud owner of a J185 maple and a J45 standard

A new boss would be flirting with ,well, maybe not disaster but with a serious P.R. miscalculation by throttling a forum like this.

Forcing a corporate point of view on the very people who validate the brand would seem to be counter-intuitive.Re-writing history seldom ends well.

Archived