Gibson Brands Forums

2017 Les Paul Tribute

juliang

So I just bought this, apparently dude lost his job. The plastic is still on the pick guard and it is totally as new. Very happy with this guitar, weight relieved but still has inlays not dots. For 2017 pickups are 490 neck and bridge. I have an SG with 490 in the neck and they sound so different it's not true. So all this talk of tone woods and construction not making a difference, I am not sold. Sounds very different to me, even though the pickup is the same. FYI, it's a great guitar

post-93463-015724800 1541727857_thumb.jpg

So all this talk of tone woods and construction not making a difference, I am not sold.

I'm sure most folks here believe that tone woods and construction do make a difference, I know I am one. I prefer 57 Classics in the Les Pauls I have owned, even had an SG with 57s. No two of them sounded the exactly the same to me, however they are close enough for me to keep putting them into my Gibbys.

PS, just remembered my ES 339 came stock with 57s, there's a big difference in tone. Semi-hollow body...

So I just bought this, apparently dude lost his job. The plastic is still on the pick guard and it is totally as new. Very happy with this guitar, weight relieved but still has inlays not dots. For 2017 pickups are 490 neck and bridge. I have an SG with 490 in the neck and they sound so different it's not true. So all this talk of tone woods and construction not making a difference, I am not sold. Sounds very different to me, even though the pickup is the same. FYI, it's a great guitar

I have a 2017 Tribute Goldtop too. Mine has P90's but also has the 9 hole relief. That guitar has amazing tone with or without the amp, great sustain and is one of my absolute favorite guitars.

My 'Heritage Cherry Sunburst 90's Gibson Les Paul Std. Plus has 490R & 498T & weighs 9 3/4 lbs. & those Pickups sound great in that Guitar.

My 2013 Gibson Memphis Blacktop ES Les Paul w/Bigsby has MHS Pickups & sounds equally great only more Vintage PAF Sound. Weighing about 6 1/2 lbs. It gets the most play!

My Gibson ES335 has MHS Pickups & sounds different than either of my LP's & is also a fabulous Guitar. Yet sounds different than either of the above Guitars....

In my experience Wood & Construction do make a difference in Sound....

You can also find that two guitars that are made of the same wood and constriction can sound quite different...

Of course the main difference here is a LP has a maple cap.. It gives it more of a snap compared to a slab guitar.

Really since EVERY piece of wood is unique, every individual guitar is unique. Then because they are all hand finished they can also feel very different to play even when they are meant to be the same make and model made of the same materials.

But isnt that where the fun us :)

Archived