Gibson Brands Forums

The Case of the "Just In Case" Case......

BluesKing777

Well, while perusing the photos I took of my new Maton, I was looking at the case and thought it didn't really suit....

PdXfQvyl.jpg

Thinking, thinking, thinking...ouch, that hurt. But these model cases come with most of their guitar range, but a few higher end models in the past got a Maton branded custom Hiscox flight case. These 00 size guitars are deep body (close to 5 inches deep), so a standard Hiscox I like for all my guitars if possible...doesn't fit.

BUT.....every once in a while, somebody would do a Pete Townshend or a Jimi H and smash their Maton custom, or maybe the wife got to it like Tiger...and on to the local listings would come an empty Maton Hiscox case. Rare though.

They don't make these cases at present, flogging another flightcase brand of their own, so if one of these guitars comes up for sale at a shop, well the canny shop owner will swap the Hiscox for a standard Maton case. ......and sell the Hiscox for a nice profit.

The other thing Maton owners do is see a Maton in a Hiscox case listed, buy it, put their Maton in the Hiscox and sell the guitar they just bought in their old case. [unsure]

BK777 is scouring the wanted ads. [flapper]

So....

I was playing slide on my older Maton, same size and noticed the case:

Hw6sXDWl.jpg

It is black! I reckon my new one would look better in a black lined case....hmmmm.

Yep.

WdKwmvGl.jpg

KaiRynPl.jpg

And the older Maton would look good in the other case....just in case..

QytR4Xkl.jpg

Yep!

BluesKing777.

I have a spare new stock Gibson slope J case, in the box.

A "just in case" case...

You never know what you'll find out there. I'm hoping for a late-40's SJ in need of a new home.

Hmmm, I wonder if the 1950 D-28 I was looking at would fit in it? If not, it might fit in that old Martin case I bought back in 1970 that's also sitting in a box. Just in case, of course...

A few years ago I bought a new Gibson Jumbo case at the local music store annual warehouse sale (which is coming up next week) for $40. I recently flipped an AJ that didn't come with a case. I think the new case helped the sale.

I have a '43 LG1 hog coming next week in a non original chipboard case. A few years ago I bought a lot of 5 cases at an estate sale. A couple Hiscox's in the group, one super jumbo and one classical. The classical should fit the LG1 just fine.

I'll be looking for more spare cases at the warehouse sale next week.

A few years ago I bought a new Gibson Jumbo case at the local music store annual warehouse sale (which is coming up next week) for $40. I recently flipped an AJ that didn't come with a case. I think the new case helped the sale.

I have a '43 LG1 hog coming next week in a non original chipboard case. A few years ago I bought a lot of 5 cases at an estate sale. A couple Hiscox's in the group, one super jumbo and one classical. The classical should fit the LG1 just fine.

I'll be looking for more spare cases at the warehouse sale next week.

The problem with spare cases is that they take up as much space empty as they do when they are full.

Cases are a problem here in Aust., because as the guy at the shop said...all his guitars are imported in a ......case! And a case costs about as much as a guitar in a case to import. Ask me how I know.

So Dave, my LG1 (52) lives in a Maton case like the ones in my photos above. While mine are deep body, they also made a ‘performer’ model with close to LG depth. I have a 00 Martin in another similar Maton case....

The cases those 2 came in were a disgrace and the seller should be ashamed, but that is the internet. They went out the front on a junk collection day, but not after a few guitar hunters had a close inspection.....(another guy pulled apart and took the electronics from my old microwave).

I also have the original cases in a storage cupboard from the guitars that I bought Hiscoxes for. The Better Half assumed I had other ‘secret guitars’ when she was lookng through the cupboard. “But they are all empty”, I cry. Ignored.

Oh, and Nick - I played a 46 SJ that spoke to me at $13,000 and it said:”Run for your life!.” Glad it wasn’t an L-00 or something in the fingerpicking size I like, because let me tell you, I did not ask to play it. The guy handed it to me while I was trying some small Collings, a Maton Custom Shop, a new standard Hummingbird for $6K and I think he gave me a Taylor V series..... all the new ones felt really tight. The SJ felt....loose.

BluesKing777.

Both of my main guitars have two cases. They spend most of their time in Gator Lightweight Polyfoam cases -- they are light and easy to carry, but they offer good protection. Much safer than a gig bag. When I travel, they are what I use.

Unless, of course, I have to check one of the guitars. In that event, my D-18 clone (built by Kevin Schwab in Minneapolis) travels in an SKB iSeries flight case. The thing is built like a tank and so far it's made several international flights with no problem. The hardshell case that my J-35 came in is back in storage in St. Paul. If I had to travel with both guitars, I'd check one in the SKB and carry the other as carry-on in the Gator.

Those SKB cases look like weapons grade! Are they heavy?

I like the Hiscox and keep nice guitars in them full time, very light - and the one to take if you are a blues fingerpicker would be the L-00 in a Hiscox Pro II Classical Medium. I often wonder if there is a guitar in it, maybe I forgot it! Light with a L...

But air travel is another whole thing. I mean, I have read where some baggage handlers personally hate guitars and guitar shaped cases and give them their worst, just..because. I was reading a thread where a guy suggested putting the Hiscox in a cardboard box to hide it being a guitar but still protected. I was on a recent ‘quick flyover’ and did NOT take a guitar because I was going to be footing it all over the place and didn’t want it stolen while I was out and about. I missed it terribly, but....going out, the plane was delayed hours then we had to trek 2 terminals over and my little bag was getting heavy. When the plane eventually turned up, I took my first class seat on the right Ha Ha!, thanks to the better half getting an upgrade for me, but sitting there forever and thinking what ARE they doing, I watched this imbecile baggage handler for an hour and became glad I left the guitar at home. While he was throwing stuff all over the place and missing the conveyor, 2 little doggy cages sat in the very hot sun the whole time until they were also thrown on the conveyor!

BluesKing777.

I live not too far from where they are made and they are fairly well priced - I can get 3 of the Tommy Emmanuel models for the price of a Standard Hummingbird, or a fully hand made Custom Shop Maton, so it is all relative.

But if you fingerpick and want to plug straight in to a PA, this is fabulous. I would say mine is similar to my old Gibson LG3 if you want to compare, but with a built in dual source fab pickup system. Just need a guitar lead! Ask TommyE, Keith U, Eric Johnson, a host of others......they are on to something.

BluesKing777.

My J-200 was advertised as being in original hardshell case; not true. I may be original as in that's the case the guitar was in when the seller got it, but it's not an original Gibson J-200 case. But I loved the guitar, so...I wish it was an original case. Will I make the effort to find one and spend the money if I do? Prolly not ;) ...

Not all original cases are great.....eg., my Gibson Blues King came in a yellow gig bag with ‘Blues King’ on the side in big letters....and that is what I will sell it in? Unlikely, isn’t it?

I like my Hiscoxes, light and strong. But the new Maton is too deep a body to fit in the standard models. The weird thing is that Lowdens come standard with a Hiscox case with Lowden on the side, and my Lowden S35 is exactly the same depth and size as the Maton. So I could use that case if I am going out. I would be nervous travelling anywhere with a standard case after fitting my other guitars with Hiscox protection.....

Maton also make, or did for a while, a flight case thst is pretty expensive and looks a bit....dorky. I may have to buy one when funds allow. Maybe share it between my 2 Matons. OR, ha ha ha, crazy laugh.....another model higher up the Maton price ladder comes with this flightcase....hmmmm..... sorry, just thinking out loud.

BluesKing777.

Maton also make, or did for a while, a flight case thst is pretty expensive and looks a bit....dorky. I may have to buy one when funds allow. Maybe share it between my 2 Matons. OR, ha ha ha, crazy laugh.....another model higher up the Maton price ladder comes with this flightcase....hmmmm..... sorry, just thinking out loud.

BluesKing777.

You might want to see a doctor about that rash you've got. It's spreading, and probably contagious.

You might want to see a doctor about that rash you've got. It's spreading, and probably contagious.

I did, I did and it wasn't going too well really, but a guy in a ZZ Top t shirt let me out a back door....

Anyway here is the super duper dorky flight case - The Maton Case:

https://maton.com.au/news/the-maton-case-the-shape-of-things-to-come

And here is the (lowest priced production) model that comes with the flight case - it is a very interesting guitar as it it is totally made with sustainable Australian woods and hence, no CITES problems. I have never seen or played one. (my current Matons are Austrlalian woods for the neck and back and sides, but have various types of rosewood fingerboards and sitka or cedar tops).

https://maton.com.au/product/ea80

Here is a video - sounds nice:

and there is a dread version too:

And of course as the Guitar Fairies read of my fear of travelling Hiscox free, they lie in wait and set their traps and the phone rings and not one but two guitarists I know have done a house reno including putting in music studios. “Come over and have a look”, they say, “and can you bring both Matons to try in the X.” Gulp. One time I went to one of their houses, I had a Gibson LG1in a junky case in the back to show him and as I pulled up at a stop sign near his place, there was an almighty screech behind me as this moron going too fast had locked up all four wheels and came to a stop just touching my bumper bar, then went around me and sped off! I better stay home and sand my guitars....

BluesKing777.

I tend to snap up used cases when I can get the on he cheap so I generally have a few just waiting for me to find something to put n them. My favorite Gibson cases remain the 1960s Victoria Luggage cases with the yellow interior. As they were generic they were not a perfect fit for any guitar but they do hold together. About the best padded cases I have snapped up are the older Martin cases but the hardware is not up to the quality of the Gibson cases.

I told the Better Half that Zombi says I need to fill the empty cases, Ha Ha! - she didn't laugh.....

For lack of making another thread and not knowing where to put a Maton Guitar comparison, here is a terrific small Maton model comparison video.....

If you are a fingerpicker and want to play gigs, these are the best you can do - pickups are fab - ask Tommy!

BluesKing777.

I told the Better Half that Zombi says I need to fill the empty cases, Ha Ha! - she didn't laugh.....

For lack of making another thread and not knowing where to put a Maton Guitar comparison, here is a terrific small Maton model comparison video.....

If you are a fingerpicker and want to play gigs, these are the best you can do - pickups are fab - ask Tommy!

BluesKing777.

Well, it works for me. When my sweetie asked me why I bought my last Harmony I told her I actually saved money because I already had a 1960s Guild case in the house in which the guitar would fit. But as of late in our house it is me who is scratching their head in surprise and wonderment. In the past 1 1/2 years she has bought a Kay standup bass, a Martin D12-28, a NOS Epiphone Broadway (which she bought when we met up with Cabarone to pick up the '61 B45-12 which just happened t0 be in the parking lot of a music shop), a solid rosewood body mandolin, and just the other day an old Schmidt autoharp. On top of that I snagged a banjo-uke, a Fender Squier Bass, some weird purple plexi guitar, and an amp for my daughter.

And yeah, I am a fingerpicker. Never owned a Maton though.

Well, it works for me. When my sweetie asked me why I bought my last Harmony I told her I actually saved money because I already had a 1960s Guild case in the house in which the guitar would fit. But as of late in our house it is me who is scratching their head in surprise and wonderment. In the past 1 1/2 years she has bought a Kay standup bass, a Martin D12-28, a NOS Epiphone Broadway (which she bought when we met up with Cabarone to pick up the '61 B45-12 which just happened t0 be in the parking lot of a music shop), a solid rosewood body mandolin, and just the other day an old Schmidt autoharp. On top of that I snagged a banjo-uke, a Fender Squier Bass, some weird purple plexi guitar, and an amp for my daughter.

And yeah, I am a fingerpicker. Never owned a Maton though.

I doubt you would ever see one, Zomb....and I don't think a new one would appeal....never know, but I just thought of you then when I saw this 1980 12 stringer f/s:

https://guitarfactory.net/collections/maton-acoustic/products/maton-cw80-12-string-1981-used

BluesKing777.

Modern Maton necks are similar to, but 5 hairs wider than a modern Gibson necks.

A friend was visiting my guitars [mellow] and we got to talking about getting a Maton Custom Shop with the same sort of neck as my big V Waterloo (their fabulous pickup as well). Rang them but it is a bit unclear if the Custom Shop will make a copy of another neck, though they will do anything if you ...pay enough, I suppose, but generally they stick to their standard neck or the 2" nut 12 string neck....but someone else told me they will add a larger neck to a standard guitar for $500.

So I rang my luthier....he would build both of us a 00 deep body with a big V neck and put a Maton pickup system in it. (Major, major surgery installing a Maton pickup system - huge slot through the guitar top and another for the controls on the side of the guitar and it is debated how much the weight of the system affects the guitar sound.....)

So, a case of 'never the twain shall meet' - arch the fingers and play the Maton normal necks, or play the Waterloo giant neck with a Sunrise or Baggs pickup.....

All moot p[oints as the Guitar Fund is pretty empty..... [bored]

BluesKing777.

All moot points as the Guitar Fund is pretty empty..... [bored]

BluesKing777.

Sell the house, sell the cars, sell the wife, sell the dog.

On second thought, you might want to keep the dog. Maybe the wife, too, unless you want to starve to death.

So little money, so many guitars to buy...

Sell the house, sell the cars, sell the wife, sell the dog.

On second thought, you might want to keep the dog. Maybe the wife, too, unless you want to starve to death.

So little money, so many guitars to buy...

Exactly!

I didn't think anyone else understood :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am bored with the last guitars already. Boss said 'Go work in a guitar shop!' So I did, but I got fired because I wouldn't let anyone else play the guitars.....( made that up).

Another Maton important point! If someone has listened to these and Tommy and Keith U and all the other troopers and now they want their own Maton......the pickup system I keep raving about has only been around a couple of years. If you bought an older model, you can get the same horrors as any guitar maker can do - dud pickups or funny wood or laminated back and sides - eeek! [sad]

Anyway, no more to be said - I put up a track to highlight how great the pickups sound direct to PA/mixer and got one reply from 2 forums, so I guess everyone likes their plain piezo puffery psounds.... have done my bit for modern man, now back to my guitars.

BluesKing777.

Archived