Gibson Brands Forums

Whats so good about Gibson guitars?

misterlutherman

I'm wondering, as there are probably specific things people go to Gibson for. Or is it simply because you played a Gibson guitar as a kid and associate closely with it since?

What makes a Gibson unique? Do they have a certain tone, are they made well, do they feel a particular way when playing one?

I have been playing Gibsons since the 1960s. Never owned a new one though. In the end there are only two kinds of guitars out there - those that you like the feel and sound of and those you do not. I have played pretty much every guitar out there at one time or the other and I guess just found Gibsons work for me. We own five of them ranging built between 1935 and 1961. Then again, I also own six Harmony guitars.

For me I love the sound by some favorite artists who use Gibsons- Sheryl Crow, The Black Crows, The Rolling Stones from their Sticky Fingers Exile days. So I have a Southern Jumbo and even though I have very nice Martin I'm fighting the urge to trade it in for a sweet J200 on sale. It's hopeless

They are aboslute utter crap, and sound like theyve got socks inside them, .....avoide them at all cost !

Exactly -- if you find and old one, walk (or run) away. We know this for sure because we have 50+ old Gibsons. Also, please contact us immediately so we will be able to not buy it too.

Let's pick,

-Tom

Tone > When you find a stellar example of any of Gibson's body shapes, that signature tone will get locked in your head (for that particular body size), and you'll be hard pressed to find that sound anywhere else.

Playability > Short-scale fingerboards combined with Gibson's typical fretboard radius happen to work exceptionally well for me.

If ya gotta ask... Perhaps your just not Gibson material (joking of course). I have recently had several high end guitars from high end and lower cost builders. I prefer the Gibson sound. It feels beefier, thicker, stronger. I also love the martin tone, just not quite as much. And I would never knock out Taylor, Guild, or any of the countless boutique builders. That is the beauty of the musical hobby. There is a guitar out there for everyone. The fun part is finding it. After an exhaustive search. I have just found that I always come back to Gibson.

~ msp_lol.gif

Seriously, , , they do. But so have other acoustics in slightly different ways.

Maybe there ain't nothing good about Gibsons - some people will tell you that. They are right from their sides as we are right from our.

If you have played a lot of acoustic guitars then grab a few Gs and see if they appeal to you. They may not and fine.

Then again you may get smitten like never before and in that case they can't be forgotten or ever laid away. Ask this Board.

Well, that's what you do.

I'll say : They offer so much and it comes with a soul that you have you figure. That's a major part of the thrill and enchantment.

Ouh, , , and they have that Gibson thump. .

It's one of those things that "if I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand it anyway.".............Besides, Gibsons are the girl you meet in a bar. She's a folksy hard rocker. She spits, drinks Jim Beam, cusses like a truck driver, loves like a demon, can rumble with the bikers, and sings like Janis. What's not to like?

It's one of those things that "if I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand it anyway.".............Besides, Gibsons are the girl you meet in a bar. She's a folksy hard rocker. She spits, drinks Jim Beam, cusses like a truck driver, loves like a demon, can rumble with the bikers, and sings like Janis. What's not to like?

And her name is Jim ?

Exactly -- if you find and old one, walk (or run) away. We know this for sure because we have 50+ old Gibsons. Also, please contact us immediately so we will be able to not buy it too.

Let's pick,

-Tom

If Tom is unavailable, please notify me immediately - if I am unavailable, contact J45 Nick☺

Forget all the biker barfly imagery and what the Guitar Gods play. Leave all that to the marketers. There is a whole lot to learn about Gibsons. Some prefer the lighter-built pre-1950 Gibsons. Others find magic in the heavier built 1951-1955 guitars. Still other fall for the un-scalloped tapered bracing of guitars beginning in 1955. For more than a few Bozeman-built guitars are a little slice of Heaven.

True story. Twenty-five or so years ago my wife did not know a Gibson from a can of tuna. She was playing a Hohner and the only guitar she wanted was a Taylor. Then one day she was in a small Mom & Pop store. Sitting there was a practically new 1994 Gibson J-100. Apparently some guy had bought it new and then within a month decided he did not want it so traded it in on a Martin. Because they store owner had already made his money on the sale of two new guitars the price tag was extremely low making it more than affordable. She played the thing and just fell in love with it. After that it was Taylor who?

Gibson acoustic guitars have SOUL - they will speak to and for what you feel as you play. Each has the potential to respond like a well-loved and cherished lady, and - if you have the means to do so - it's legal to have more than one☺

Gibson acoustic guitars have SOUL - they will speak to and for what you feel as you play. Each has the potential to respond like a well-loved and cherished lady, and - if you have the means to do so - it's legal to have more than one☺

That ain't the guitar - it is the player.

Archived