Gibson Brands Forums

Brilliant Disguise

MorrisrownSal

Sometimes it's all about song selection. And all of the above is a perfect match (but is that the TCHelicon? I know doing the vocal overdub isn't a live performance, but difference between your (human) added harmony track and the TC unit is worth it).

So- I know you were looking to do a comparo with the J-50 after getting them both on the same strings (and that was what was keeping me from a reply on your first J-50/J-45M post). And on that now-disabled video, the Hog45 did seem to take the nod. And remember- the maGogany '45 is just waking up after a period of little use. Once those strings age in some, and that guitar vibes a little more. . . well, it should be something to look forward to.

SB.. thanks for your post a few weeks back... very helpful.

These are 3-on-a-plate tuners from Gotoh. I did not use the screws for the middle two holes on each side... Wondering if any of you think thats a big deal.

0EsUtOAl.jpg

R5ERutBl.jpg

no7jmVMl.jpg

The tuners work well. But to be honest, I also did this on a J45 that I bought from Roger... and I used Klusons on that one. Hold out for the Klusons; I like them a little better.

NLmxlvMl.jpg

SB.. thanks for your post a few weeks back... very helpful.

These are 3-on-a-plate tuners from Gotoh. I did not use the screws for the middle two holes on each side... Wondering if any of you think thats a big deal.

0EsUtOAl.jpg

R5ERutBl.jpg

no7jmVMl.jpg

The tuners work well. But to be honest, I also did this on a J45 that I bought from Roger... and I used Klusons on that one. Hold out for the Klusons; I like them a little better.

NLmxlvMl.jpg

Nice stuff Sal, would love to hear an ABC of you J45, J50, and now this. With respect to leaving the middle screws out, I don't think it's a good idea. I don't have any experience telling me this, but have found in the past leaving out a fastener or two can bite you over time.

Sweet recording, Sal. And that guitar sounds very, very warm. Like opening an oven door to see how the meatloaf is cooking. Real folksy. [thumbup] [thumbup]

Delicious meatloafany top, back, and sides.

Photo 3 is nice- the neck almost looks to have a little more beef to it. And good info on the Klusons. I really don't think the middle screw will be an issue; all of the pull is down towards the bridge. 'Guess you could press down on the tuner schaft from the headplate side of the headstock & see if there's any give that would indicate a potential for cupping in the middle of the 3-on-a-plate.

Sal-

I've had the Klusons #-on-a-plate tuners on my J45 now for almost 2 months and they work great and have no complaints at all. They're smooth, and work as they should. I also just like the look of the buttons on the Klusons the best. They aren't stark white, They're kind of opaque, and have edges that are a little softer than others out there. I ordered an extra set just in case they do become a little harder to find in the future and/or if I acquire another Gibson acoustic that I'd like to put them on. The other added bonus is the guitar is ridiculously light now after the tuner swap and replacing the Baggs UST with a K&K. Clocks in at exactly 4lbs.

The only down side I see to the three on a plate tuners is if one gets damaged or develops issues you have to replace the entire side and would have to buy an entire new set. With the individual tuners you would most likely still have to buy an entire set, but you only have to replace the one faulty tuner and can hang onto the rest as spares if any of the other tuners break or fail down the line.

First of thanks again for the nice comments fellas...

Second... SB and others... if I want to get the kluson 3 on a play tuners and replace the Gotohs, what/how do I fill the holes on the headstock? Superglue? Any thoughts welcome.

For what it’s worth the string posts on the gotohs are shorter than the Klusons. Which means when you string up the low E, not much room for slack. Two turns. It’s easy enough to adjust, but again... the Klusons are my preference if I ever do this again.

First of thanks again for the nice comments fellas...

Second... SB and others... if I want to get the kluson 3 on a play tuners and replace the Gotohs, what/how do I fill the holes on the headstock? Superglue? Any thoughts welcome.

For what it’s worth the string posts on the gotohs are shorter than the Klusons. Which means when you string up the low E, not much room for slack. Two turns. It’s easy enough to adjust, but again... the Klusons are my preference if I ever do this again.

I didn't fill the old holes with anything, just left them open.

The original holes are covered by the current tuners and really don't see leaving them open/unplugged an issue.

Where in God's name does one get mahogany dust? I aint a carpenter...!

I've got a little mahogany left over from my front porch, your welcome to a block you can sand down and make your own dust... PM me if interested, but that might not be the easiest way to the end...

Archived