Gibson Brands Forums

Humidifying the case

jimydrmz

The plastic soap dish with a sponge works great in the headstock area as duluthdan mentioned. However, just ensure you squeeze the sponge to the point it will not drip at all and keep the guitar case flat on its back. Water damage is the WORST!

Also, reading 40% in the case isn't too bad as long as you don't get below that. I have my guitars out on hangers in my studio/office with two humidifiers going. I have three hygrometers in various parts of the room and I tend to get between 40% and 45% here in Calgary. When the temps get REALLY cold and the humidifiers can't keep up, I put the solid wood guitars in their cases with Oasis humidifiers in the sound holes. I like the Oasis better than the PlanetWaves. If you are diligent, the PlanetWaves are fine. But, if you leave the sponge until it dries out, it will start to suck the moisture from the wood of the guitar itself and so makes things worse. The Oasis, once it goes dry, doesn't do anything.

I'm going to have to look into the Humid Trak system. It seems like the way to go. If you are using any type of sponge system, I would just stress that you make sure to not overload the sponge. The last thing you want is dripping inside your guitar or case without you know it. Otherwise, these setups work well as long as you are diligent with them. Just try to keep the humidity around 50% and you will be fine.

Archived