Gibson Brands Forums: Gibson les paul , les buzz with no reliefe?? - Gibson Brands Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gibson les paul , les buzz with no reliefe?? Factory setup made my 2017 Gibson les paul Traditional buzz, ??

#1 User is offline   Gino753 

• Group: All Access

Posted 10 November 2018 - 06:02 PM

Hi guys

I did a factory setup, on both of ny Gibson les pauls, one is a 2017 Tradirional, and the other is a 2016 Standard.I had both guitars setup with 9 guage strings,and 5/64 string hieght on the low E, and 3/64 on the high E, and .10-.12 thousandths relief at the 12th fret, capoing the 1st fret and holding down the last fret.i went to play the guitar,and none of the notes choked,and the guitar played nice,but bar chords would buzz like crazy.I then took Dan erlwins advice in actually basically flattening the neck to .006 relief,and the guitar has lost most all buzz ??? Is this normal?? I assume i do have a good fret job,where i kept reading that this buzz was a sighn of uneven frets? I checked the frets and they are pretty level.Can somone please help me understand this? Basically where i figured that more relief would reduce the buzzing, since im pulling the strings away from the neck...i actually lost my buzz by bringing the strings closer? So my fret job is good ?

#2 User is offline   Rockgitarristen 

Posted 12 November 2018 - 04:24 AM

Low string action and to much bowe on the neck are not a good combination cause it will buzz from the 14 fret cause the neckjoint dont have a bow
see attached picture with excessive bow to more easily explain the phenomenon

Attached File(s)

#3 User is offline   badbluesplayer 

• ZIPPER CLUBBER
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 12 November 2018 - 06:31 AM

Exactly what Rockgitarristen said ^^^. [thumbup]

TENNESSEE AMPLIFIER COMPANY

#4 User is offline   Gino753 

Posted 12 November 2018 - 04:38 PM

Ok but if Gibson calls for .010 up to .012 relief, and fender calls for .010 on ny guitars,then how can that be too much relief

#5 User is offline   badbluesplayer 

• ZIPPER CLUBBER
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 13 November 2018 - 09:40 AM

You're better off with as little relief as you can get and still get a good setup. The thickness of a sheet of paper is good. I remember Erlewine saying that once in a video I watched. He seems to think that the more the wood in the neck is in compression, the more lively the guitar will be. So he's a fan of having very low or almost no relief.

This post has been edited by badbluesplayer: 13 November 2018 - 09:41 AM

TENNESSEE AMPLIFIER COMPANY

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users