Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup and Slide Test Track

BluesKing777

So, after buying the 2nd Maton guitar recently, I put my older Maton SRS808 in to Open G slide tuning and had a few 'Oh Yeah!!!" moments. The Maton pickup system is stunning! (It should probably be illegal to install any other pickup!)

But with slide, the time comes when a commitment is needed - 12 on the first string just doesn't cut it with bottlenecks flapping in the breeze. So today I made that commitment. :rolleyes:

From my resonator string collection, I dragged out a plain steel 16....gulp. It is now on the Maton and it is fabulous to play. The 2nd string is still a bit skinny and flappy but that will have to wait. I don't want to twist the poor neck off! So I am running it in Open G Tuning tuned DOWN 2 steps...Open F!

So here is a quick demo if anyone is interested - the pickup system is also what this is about - plugged direct to my mixer and nothing else, no gadgets, no reverb .....zip. (I prefer the pickup in a nice PA than my amp.)

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/bottle2777

BluesKing777.

Thanks Billroy!

Yep, don't want to play that 16 with normal fingerstyle! Bend it for the 'Blues Face"

(When I was talking to my luthier about another matter, I asked if he could...phew...build a guitar with the Maton pickups system in it....yes. Hmmm. Another 00 size but what wood? Hmm. He has been doing some with Rock Maple over Cedar of late....hmmm. Oh, that's right, the guitar fund is ploooffed [mellow] )

BluesKing777.

Archived