Gibson Brands Forums

What Gibson is this

livemusic

Wonder what mic/setup they have going on there? Looks like it could be Shure SM58 mics? That's not the usual mic you see for an acoustic guitar. More usual would be SM57. But, they got it sounding great to me. Might have something to do with his fingers and that guitar, lol. The guitar sounds great and it sounds really loud.

What model guitar?

Forgot the link...

Here is another song, plugged in. The headstock here looks 'older.' The plugged in sound is not nearly as good as unplugged!

I don't know much at all about dating guitars but how can you guys pin that to 1946 or 1947? I have no idea but curious.

The script logo without banner on a vintage Gibson J-45 is a characteristic of 1946, give or take a month or so. Post-WW2, the war-time banner ("only a Gibson is good enough") below the logo disappeared, and in 1947, the "block" logo (as opposed to script-style) came into use.

Vintage Gibsons can be a challenge to date because of inconsistent and incomplete FON/serial numbers, plus various different numbering protocols over the last 100+ years of production. You therefore sometimes have to date them by visibly different characteristics, such as the logo, bridge, fretboards, etc. Most of us here have looked at a lot of these, either in the flesh, in photos, or online, and can usually (but not always) identify the year or at least period of manufacture based on what we can see. There are a number of decent (but not perfect) Gibson dating analyses online, and in published print.

Martin, on the other hand, has used sequential serial numbers for the last 120 years, so identifying the age of a Martin is normally dead simple if you have access to the serial numbers.

Archived