Gibson Brands Forums

California fires

j45nick

I see that Neil Young's house near Malibu burned down in the fires raging through California right now. I hope his guitars were somewhere else.

These fires are truly devastating.

I hope forumites in California--and there are a lot of you--are all safe. We always worry about Ol' Fred, whose Neversweat Ranch in gold country is in a perpetually vulnerable area.

We evacuated and no one or dog hurt.

Lost my house, garage, car, all guitars, everything. Custom J-200 5 star quilt, custom J-45 acacia (only one made in 2016), Hummingbird 12 string cherry burst.

Plus my electrics.

Oh well it's just stuff right? Losing the guitars hurts more than just about any of the other stuff.

On a lighter note you can hear them all on our new album "Black Squirrel" "We All" features the Hummingbird and J-200 and J-45 mixed in.

Why am I behaving so? Denial is a strong force. Can't even go there to see my property.

Open to any ideas. It ain't cancer. It's 8 o'clock and enjoying my second glass I guess is my excuse.

Guitars, amps, recordings, memorabilia, stuff, , , hope Young's fine.

Remember he lost a number of things due to a store-house-fire long ago.

It's not the Redwood ranch, is it. .

This is probably the house previously owned by Daryl Hannah, which he bought in 2016: 17.5 acres (6.5 hectares) in the hills above Malibu:

Neil Young house

Lost my house, garage, car, all guitars, everything. Custom J-200 5 star quilt, custom J-45 acacia (only one made in 2016), Hummingbird 12 string cherry burst.

Plus my electrics.

Oh well it's just stuff right? Losing the guitars hurts more than just about any of the other stuff.

On a lighter note you can hear them all on our new album "Black Squirrel" "We All" features the Hummingbird and J-200 and J-45 mixed in.

Why am I behaving so? Denial is a strong force. Can't even go there to see my property.

Open to any ideas. It ain't cancer. It's 8 o'clock and enjoying my second glass I guess is my excuse.

Wow. I am so so sorry.

And please let us know a link we can hear your album.

Please keep your positive attitude, and best wishes.

Plus my electrics.

oh man my heart aches for your loss. It’s just “stuff” I suppose in the final analysis, but what a life changing hassle. Hope it all gets sorted out for you. My head is just spinning, I cannot fathom this.

1542039611[/url]' post='1962113']

Plus my electrics.

I'm glad your family is ok, damn fires.

Plus my electrics.

Hard to imagine the reality in this - may your strength be with you.

Sincere thoughts

Sounds a tad like blame the victim.maybe I’m just sensitive now.

Believe it or not we just had all of the brush cleared back for 50 feet around all structures. We were inspected by LA County and passed. Our neighbor, who stayed, said it was an 85 mile an hour wind and fire wall that took our house. He’s behind a hill and was spared.

Sounds a tad like blame the victim.maybe I’m just sensitive now.

Believe it or not we just had all of the brush cleared back for 50 feet around all structures. We were inspected by LA County and passed. Our neighbor, who stayed, said it was an 85 mile an hour wind and fire wall that took our house. He’s behind a hill and was spared.

Sadly, people like you are victims of the poor management of others.

Sadly, people like you are victims of the poor management of others.

And how do you propose that "others" manage Santa Ana winds and prolonged droughts?

To be clear, these are not areas that are generally suited to either logging or grazing, It is primarily bone-dry chaparral, scrub oak, and scattered pines, with valleys that serve as wind funnels. If you burn it off, you can destabilize the hills and make them vulnerable to mudslides when and it if rains.

You have to experience the heat and velocity of a Santa Ana wind to appreciate how this happens. The winds can turn even the smallest fire into a superheated blowtorch.

This is not an issue of forest management.

And how do you propose that "others" manage Santa Ana winds and prolonged droughts?

To be clear, these are not areas that are generally suited to either logging or grazing, It is primarily bone-dry chaparral, scrub oak, and scattered pines, with valleys that serve as wind funnels. If you burn it off, you can destabilize the hills and make them vulnerable to mudslides when and it if rains.

You have to experience the heat and velocity of a Santa Ana wind to appreciate how this happens. The winds can turn even the smallest fire into a superheated blowtorch.

Well, we can still agree on Gibson guitars.

100% correct, Nick. Growing up in Pasadena, as a kid in the '50s & early '60s, I used to hike & play in those chaparral covered foothills a lot (moved away in '71). After a few years of drought, that stuff reaches a point where it literally explodes if ignited. In a worse case scenario such as this, just add in a dose of strong wind. And indeed, once the chaparral is burned off, if significant rainfall follows, it will create a new disaster by sending mudflows down the canyons.

Tman, all the best to you as you begin moving forward.

Archived