Gibson Brands Forums

grovers are imports- silent conspiracy !

jvi

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a global planet. Or something like that.

It all depends how far down that rabbit hole you want to go. Is the metal used for your frets from the U.S.? I doubt it. Similarly, I doubt the camels whose bones supplied my bridge pins came from the U.S. The list goes on. Even in the Golden Era of vintage guitars, things like Brazilian rosewood came from, well, Brazil.

I've got Waverlys on one guitar and Golden Age Restoration tuners on my J-35. The Waverlys are American-made. I'm not sure where the GARs come from, but they are very good.

It's a global planet. Or something like that.

It all depends how far down that rabbit hole you want to go. Is the metal used for your frets from the U.S.? I doubt it. Similarly, I doubt the camels whose bones supplied my bridge pins came from the U.S. The list goes on. Even in the Golden Era of vintage guitars, things like Brazilian rosewood came from, well, Brazil.

Pretty much the only woods from the US in vintage guitars are maple and spruce: ebony, from Africa; mahogany, from Central America; rosewood from Brazil. Even the best celluloid for pickguards was often Italian.

No different today, except that the rosewood generally comes from India or Madagascar.

steel production and mfg are different"camels" than wood source, quality on things like grovers seemed better when produced in the USA than when outsourced,and the country of origin is kind of hidden on this product. just saying...

Lawdy, ya'll are just discovering this? Kluson shut down its Chicago plant in 1981 and Grover left Cleveland a year or two later. One of the reasons I snag busted up guitars for $10 is to get the Kluson tuners. I have a good enough supply that I can equip pretty much any Gibson built from the late 1930s into the early 1950s. All in all I find the Gotoh-made Grovers to be a better quality than the offshore-made Klusons. For a while we were able to get Antique Acoustics tuners which had become the standard for Gibson restoration but Blazer and Henkes stopped making them. Some of the original Klusons have gotten pretty pricey. Just thank your luck starts you are not seeking a set of Kluson Sealfast tuners. They can go for as much as $700 a set.

cheap as in not that good, and my point was that on a Gibson guitar having import tuners that arnt great is not ok, people talk about nut material, saddle too, finish thickness, and my new fave PIXALATION IN PGS,but not grovers origin- I guess Im being me ...

Archived