Gibson Brands Forums

How to lower trem unit?

Turnip

Hi Folks!

Long time lurker, first time poster, and first-time Steinberger owner. I really don't know what took me so long. :-)

I had a quick question about adjusting the tremolo unit.

I adjusted the truss rod to set the relief to my liking, (minimal relief) and went to lower the individual saddles to get the action lower and match the fretboard radius. Well, the saddles are as low as they can go, and the action is still fairly high. Is it possible to lower the entire tremolo unit a bit? I don't see an adjustment to do that, but assumed there was a way to lower the two pivot posts just a bit. Any info would be greatly appreciated. :-)

Thanks in advance! :-)

Is it possible to lower the entire tremolo unit a bit? I don't see an adjustment to do that, but assumed there was a way to lower the two pivot posts just a bit. Any info would be greatly appreciated. :-)

No. The pivot posts sit directly on the (metal) trem base, without any movement up or down being possible. This would also lower the pivot base (trem top), and the spring tab might touch the base of the trem routing, thus preventing it from moving freely. There's no way other than modifying the trem routing. Which should not be necessary in the first place.

Bernd

Ah, ok...maybe I just got one that slipped through QC. There’s definitely something wrong when the the saddles are completely down but the action is still too high. It wasn’t very expensive, so maybe I’ll just have to get a little creative to make it playable. ;-)

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated! :-)

in your steinberger guitar has a bolt on neck you can put a light wedge beetween neck and body to adjust the angle of the neck.

I saw this on many high end guitar such Suhr, Tom Anderson and so many others. It allow you to have the same action at first and last fret.

I usually use some light and thin metal foils.

Hope it may help you

It's a set neck, so I won't be able to shim the neck. :-/ My plan is to remove the saddles and give them to a friend who's a machinist, who says he can take the saddle height down a bit from the bottom. That way when I reinstall them, they'll be able to go low enough to have the action more reasonable. :-)

Archived