Gibson Brands Forums

Does your case cause your strings to go bad?

bigtim

Okay I have a 2017 Gibson firebird and I keep it in the case when I am not playing it. I play it less than the other guitars I own. So a little while back I placed a new set of strings on it. I have only played it a hand full of times since the string change and the strings are dull with no ring to them at all or flat out dead. They are Ernie Ball slinky 10 gauge size. Nothing special but I have used this brand for over 30 years and I always have gotten way more life out of them than just say a total of less than 5 hours playing time. The set of strings that I had on it previously were Dunlop and I thought they went dead in a short time too and that is why I replaced them with the Ernie Ball set. Plus on this particular guitar since it is my 'Baby", I have always wiped the neck, strings and body down with a dry cloth before I place it back into the case when I am done. I am not one of the people who has acidic oils in my palms either. I thought it was weird and I mentioned this to my brother. He told me he had some experience with his guitars doing this and he said the lining in the case itself was to blame. So have any of you guys experienced this on your guitars?

I had an annoying phenomenon with a pair of rifles I had in a guncase with foam in side, it appeared that the foam contained some kind of cemical or gas released over time and attacked the rifles.

I have no experience of this on my guitars, all of my hangs on the walls and stands on the floor so they are well-aired but I know I have read that wood can attack metal because of the wood's content of different substances and in combination with some humidity, I googlade and found some about this 1. Farmer, R.H. ‘Corrosion of Metals in Association with Wood,’ Wood, Vol. 27,1962, pp. 326-328 and 443-446.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiEoqrJltHeAhUJjCwKHRwQBusQFjABegQIAxAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fpure.strath.ac.uk%2Fportal%2Ffiles%2F536741%2Fstrathprints027572.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1FzZLNs5efCIXE8dRDtntF

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiEoqrJltHeAhUJjCwKHRwQBusQFjADegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fir.library.oregonstate.edu%2Fdownloads%2Fbz60cx71b&usg=AOvVaw3UftsFoLJVyfhafGEGg9VF

I always keep my guitars in their cases when not being played and have not experienced this. I used Ernie Ball strings for a long time, and they did wear out quickly (although not as quick as your experience). Aboput 15 years ago I started using Elixir coated strings and they do last a LOT longer than uncoated. You might try a set of them and see if that helps. Seems odd that you only experienced it with one of your guitars??

Yes the big brown one that comes with firebird.

Weird. Never heard of this before. I keep all but one guitar in cases (whatever I'm using at the time is on a hanger).

I suppose this is a Gibson case right? A Canadian one?

This happened recently with my SG, i took it to the tech to change a pick up, and he put fresh ernie ball strings (super slinky 9s), i played it like 2 hours, cleaned it, put it back in the case and then 2-3 months later the strings were horribly crusty, i dont know what happened, i was thinking that MAYBE the tech played it a lot and didnt clean it and that affected but not sure. its the only time that it has happened

can it be the humidity?

The 2017 Firebirds are BAD-A$$....U must love it !

No, I can't say that has ever happened to any of mine. It has only been in the last year or two that I have started putting my Guitars in their case's when not being played. Mine go into a rotation, keeping one (maybe two) out, the rest are in their case's waiting their turn for a two week beating. A fresh set of strings goes on each one a day or two before it goes back in its case to await its next turn in the rotation....and they are always fresh and good to go when they come back out 3-6 weeks later.

Only my ES-335 acts funny when its put away, and when it comes back out...... it keep's its same Neck relief, .005" @ 7TH Fret, but it lose's 1/64TH of an inch in string-action @ 12TH Fret on the BASS side, going from 5/64ths to 4/64ths every time I take it back out........I am at a loss as to why it does this and it is the only Guitar I have that does this.It's not warped/back-bowed and doesn't have any defect I am able to detect. It is also the only GIBSON 'MEMPHIS' Guitar I have ever owned. I got it new from SWEETWATER, a 2018(with 2017 serial# manufactured 10/31/2017) ES-335 Traditional (Block In-Lays,SWEEEET !) in 'ANTIQUE' CHERRY and its is BAD-A$ with the MHS Pick-Ups, I like to think it is FLAWLESS............ but it does have this one li'l quirk. I am hoping the Fret-Board isn't effed up, they can be dry-rotted and look normal, until they start flaking. I figure that is what the life-time warrantty is for.

No wiped them down. I always do on that one. Never had a problem with any of the other guitars either. Matter of fact, I actually clean them less than the firebird. Maybe a bad set of strings though.

not sure "cleaned it" included cleaning the strings. Putting a guitar away with dirty (not wiped-down) strings is likely the main cause for the problem described by the OP.

I guess it could be almost anything but I have those silicon gel packs in this case as well. I kind of thought it could have something to do with the dye from the lining maybe but am not for sure.

This happened recently with my SG, i took it to the tech to change a pick up, and he put fresh ernie ball strings (super slinky 9s), i played it like 2 hours, cleaned it, put it back in the case and then 2-3 months later the strings were horribly crusty, i dont know what happened, i was thinking that MAYBE the tech played it a lot and didnt clean it and that affected but not sure. its the only time that it has happened

can it be the humidity?

Well I have had guitars adjust in and out before myself, I just think it is some of their own character or quirks. I used to think that a set neck guitar would be more stable or stay put more so than a bolt on type. Well I now have completely changed my mind on that one. I think a bolt guitar is pretty much a battle axe and a set neck seems to be a bit more lady like. Always needing attention. I wonder if your 335 has something going on with how the grain of the wood interacts with the other grains of wood it was glued too. Kind of like magnets north vs south thing. You never know. Or is there a lot of pressure from the case top putting pressure on the body or neck by chance where the neck i joined to the body?

Well the firebird is a pretty comfortable guitar to play. Although sometime this winter I am going to take it down, tape it up and go after the frets for a bit to get some of those unpleasant buzzes done away with.

The 2017 Firebirds are BAD-A$....U must love it !

No, I can't say that has ever happened to any of mine. It has only been in the last year or two that I have started putting my Guitars in their case's when not being played. Mine go into a rotation, keeping one (maybe two) out, the rest are in their case's waiting their turn for a two week beating. A fresh set of strings goes on each one a day or two before it goes back in its case to await its next turn in the rotation....and they are always fresh and good to go when they come back out 3-6 weeks later.

Only my ES-335 acts funny when its put away, and when it comes back out...... it keep's its same Neck relief, .005" @ 7TH Fret, but it lose's 1/64TH of an inch in string-action @ 12TH Fret on the BASS side, going from 5/64ths to 4/64ths every time I take it back out........I am at a loss as to why it does this and it is the only Guitar I have that does this.It's not warped/back-bowed and doesn't have any defect I am able to detect. It is also the only GIBSON 'MEMPHIS' Guitar I have ever owned. I got it new from SWEETWATER, a 2018(with 2017 serial# manufactured 10/31/2017) ES-335 Traditional (Block In-Lays,SWEEEET !) in 'ANTIQUE' CHERRY and its is BAD-A$ with the MHS Pick-Ups, I like to think it is FLAWLESS............ but it does have this one li'l quirk. I am hoping the Fret-Board isn't effed up, they can be dry-rotted and look normal, until they start flaking. I figure that is what the life-time warrantty is for.

Maybe I should go about with a change of brands for the firebird of mine. I guess it could have been just an old set I happened to grab at the shop.

Maybe the batch of strings?

I use D'Addario EXL115s on my Firebird and they last seemingly forever.

Well I have had guitars adjust in and out before myself, I just think it is some of their own character or quirks. I used to think that a set neck guitar would be more stable or stay put more so than a bolt on type. Well I now have completely changed my mind on that one. I think a bolt guitar is pretty much a battle axe and a set neck seems to be a bit more lady like. Always needing attention. I wonder if your 335 has something going on with how the grain of the wood interacts with the other grains of wood it was glued too. Kind of like magnets north vs south thing. You never know. Or is there a lot of pressure from the case top putting pressure on the body or neck by chance where the neck i joined to the body?

Well the firebird is a pretty comfortable guitar to play. Although sometime this winter I am going to take it down, tape it up and go after the frets for a bit to get some of those unpleasant buzzes done away with.

YES, I as well think that set necks are always needing attention....and I always check them when I take 'em back out........It also seems that GIBSON's have a settling/stabilizing(?) period where the Neck is constantly shifting relief & S.A. height....and then they stabilize. I noticed this on a couple of Les Paul's & SG's I got new and always kept in stands. They seem to have stabilized since I got them new two years ago.Especially the 2017 LESTER Standard, EE-GAD MON, it was all over the place....... and now its stable as a ROCK !

TNX 4 the suggestions, I am going to see if the case is making contact, an excessive dent in the inside fur....U know, I figure its got to be something other than the 'Beauty of the Beast', but that will not surprise me either.

I was going to get the 2018 FIREBIRD, the 'BLACKBIRD' GIBSON USA was calling it, but I went with the EXPLORER 'ELITE' instead...it was the FireBirds Mini-Humbuckers that was the deciding factor, they can only be swapped out for P-90's if I did not like them (or start routing....UH, NO WAY !) and no one at GIBSON could tell me if the Mini-Humbucker's were the original Firebirds (like in my '94 Nighthawk) or the new HOT AS HELL Mini-Humbucker's that are in the new, 2018 SG Special...ICNB that no one @ GIBSON knew the answer to that simple question, so I went with the EXPLORER w/BB 2 & 3...& I must say......ITS BAD-A$$ !!!

CHEERS BRO !!!

I love the explorers too. I had a 91 explorer. It was actually the reason I joined the gibson forum. Got it for 400 bucks a few years back. It was heavy though....my goodness. Although I am a big guy I just could not cope with it over long periods of time standing up with it. I still think I may again purchase another. I like the wode necks on them. They really sound good too but that is becaise the body is so large.

At guitar center yesterday in franklin tn they had a new 2018 black firebird marked down to 1099.00 bucks. Dang it looked good in black but I favor the hidden tuner style though. Still a great buy though for someone.

I love the explorers too. I had a 91 explorer. It was actually the reason I joined the gibson forum. Got it for 400 bucks a few years back. It was heavy though....my goodness. Although I am a big guy I just could not cope with it over long periods of time standing up with it. I still think I may again purchase another. I like the wode necks on them. They really sound good too but that is becaise the body is so large.

At guitar center yesterday in franklin tn they had a new 2018 black firebird marked down to 1099.00 bucks. Dang it looked good in black but I favor the hidden tuner style though. Still a great buy though for someone.

WOW, $1099.00 for the 2018 FIREBIRD, not the 'STUDIO' Model ? HOLY $#!T, they are going for $1900 + Tax !!!! IF IF IF you can swing it, GO BACK THERE AND GET THAT GUITAR !!! That is the best price you will see on one of those NEW, almost half price !....I may even buy it.....thats, FRANKLIN Tennessee ?

I just looked @ GC Web-Site and the 2018 FIREBIRDS, none are in Tennesse...I guess someone else got it, too bad !!! or if you still see it...LMK ?

TNX BT, CHEERS BRO !

Archived