Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

Dave F

Got this today. Needs a little work but should turn out good.

Bridge problems kept me from stringing it up to try it out.

Shown alongside one of the copies of John Thomas' LG1

8EDA3FDF-4019-421C-8DAB-C167FFB05835_zpsetocumt8.jpg

54B2DDC1-439D-42EB-98A2-05052C6EBCA0_zps3lk34rtw.jpg

0D54566C-C964-439B-8AEC-75C7885FB405_zpsqp6ujces.jpg

5B0F78B5-5C28-49E7-8969-FC5EBCF2FEAE_zpsll6worrg.jpg

Not much to say yet. Off to the luthier this weekend. It’s one of the LG1 x-braced all mahogany natural finishes. I got the newer one from John after he did his comparison. I had John look at this one on line before I bought it because it was being described as an LG2 guitar that had been sanded and stripped of it finish so obviously the seller did not know what he had. Other than the bridge and a few top cracks, it’s in pretty good condition.

Forgive my dopiness, but why/how is an Xbraced LG1 not simply an LG2? Is there a label or other marking?

Nice grab, Dave!

JT’s the expert on that. I believe he had the ledgers that showed that they were shipped as LG1’s even though they were X-braced and had the multi-ply fancier binding. I believe there were only 139 of them made and who knows how many survived.

Forgive my dopiness, but why/how is an Xbraced LG1 not simply an LG2? Is there a label or other marking?

Nice grab, Dave!

It was a short run in 1942. Later the same name was applied to the spruce top ladder braced LG-1.

What batch is it -- there are only two AFAIK: 7705H AND 7706H. Ours is 7705H-16.

Best,-Tom

It was a short run in 1942. Later the same name was applied to the spruce top ladder braced LG-1.

What batch is it -- there are only two AFAIK: 7705H AND 7706H. Ours is 7705H-16.

Best,-Tom

My FON is a little difficult to read but looks like 7704H but I wouldn't swear to it.

1C7E93DF-A8CD-4286-A7E4-F40409F5A018_zpsf50cjtya.jpg

Too cool!

Congrats, Dave, on a great deal on a great guitar.

Yep, folks, these are LG-1s. All of the original LGs- 1s, 2s, and 3s, were X-braced, had multiple purflings on top and back, and had fancy rosettes. They were distinguished by finish (the 2 was sunburst, the 3 natural, and the 1 had this beautiful brown finish). And, of course, the 1 had the mahogany top. (later in the war, Gibson dropped the LG-1 and used mahogany tops on LG-s, distinguished from the 1s by a natural finish and, as will all later Banners, no purflings).

Only 139 of these Banner LG-1s ever shipped. We've now got examples from three consecutive batches: Dave's is 7704H, Tom's is 7705H, and mine is 7706H. Those may be the only three batches ever made.

Thanks, Dave, for sharing your guitar with us.

• 3 months later...

I picked it up from the luthier yesterday.

Cleat cracks

Repair bridge plate

New BRW bridge ( he offered to rebuild the original )

Reglue some braces

Replace some of the frets (new ones match the vintage ones)

Swap tuner buttons

Plays great, sounds great. I'll have to string the RI the same and do an A/B

IMG_5274_zpsqpjug4fc.jpg

Here's a shot of the '41 LG1 with it's RI and the vintage Banner with the Legend.

IMG_5272_zpshgvt2iue.jpg

No, you can't. They may need some work when you find'em, but it's usually worth the effort.

There's nothing like old wood.

You sound like my luthier. He said after he finished his work, he sat and played it for over a couple hours and debated on calling me to tell me it was finished.

He believes you just cannot reproduce the sound from old wood and lightly built instruments.

I've been playing a little more than usual, really liking this guitar.

I had an AJ a few years ago that was unique to me. The entire body rumbled when you played it.

This LG doesn't rumble but the top vibrates so much I can feel it in the hair on my arms. My initial impression is that this guitar sounds better than any guitar I've played.

It has me thinking about downsizing. I better start revisiting some of my other guitars before I do something I may later regret.

Archived