Gibson Brands Forums

In Praise of SoundClick

drathbun

G'day forumites. I've been busy putting my CD of tunes together for family and friends which I give out at Christmas time every year. I've been also using an audio hosting service called "SoundClick" (www.soundclick.com) for years.

I've noticed that a LOT of people use the "Sound Cloud" service. I have a couple of tracks on an account there too, but the more I used SoundClick, and especially after the recent upgrades, I like it more and more. So, I rise today to speak on behalf of SoundClick and urge those of you who are interested in online track sharing or those currently using Sound Cloud to go over and take a look. No, I do not get any credits or perks for making this recommendation.

SoundClick has an excellent interface (now after the upgrade). Your home page is very attractive and customizable. With a free account there is no limit to the number or length of songs you can upload. The division between a free and a pro account is as follows:

Free:

Max MP3 - 25MB

Max lossless(wave, aif etc) - 100MB

Stream Quality - 160kbps

Free Download - 160kbps

Paid Download - Best

Pro:

Max MP3 - 50MB

Max lossless - 400MB

Stream quality - 160kbps

Free Download - Best

Paid Download - Best

*Best = Choice between MP3(320, 160) and lossless (WAV, AIF...)

The Sound Cloud membership levels are here.

Basically, Sound Cloud limits free memberships to 180 minutes of track time. I have 133 tracks of various length (one up to seven minutes) on SoundClick and I'm on a free account.

To my mind, the free membership benefits of Sound Click are superior to Sound Cloud. Plus Sound Click has the ability to add photos and links to your Vimeo or YouTube videos.

Take a look if you are interested. :)

I started with Soundclick years ago, and I tried others and always liked Soundclick the best. I do have a few songs on Soundcloud also. Soundclick allows you to do more things for free than Soundclud...things like putting your songs in the order you want and a few other things.

Questions...

1 does a listener have to register to listen?

2 does a listener have to download anything?

3 can you set it so they can only stream and not download?

I need something like that, lol.

I believe the answer to 1 and 2 is NO....for both Soundclick AND Soundcloud. I do not know #3.

I believe the answer to 1 and 2 is NO....for both Soundclick AND Soundcloud. I do not know #3.

A listener complained to me recently that she could not listen to a song of mine because Soundcloud required her to download an app. So, I need to check into that.

A listener complained to me recently that she could not listen to a song of mine because Soundcloud required her to download an app. So, I need to check into that.

I just quickly went to Soundcloud, I was not signed in because I haven't been there for awhile. The start page did show an app that can be downloaded, but it is not necessary. I just used their search on top and could listen to anything i found in my browser. She just probably saw the app thing and didn't realize she didn't HAVE to use it.

The answer to #3 is yes, you can set it to allow streaming only.

The app isn't necessary as you have discovered. You just need to click on songs to listen. Some people will charge for downloads of their songs, but most do not. You can make your own "radio station" as a listener.

The app allows you to listen on your phone or tablet. I like using the app on my iphone as it allows me to listen to my tracks without having to send them to my iTunes library. Since I have Apple Music, the process of adding your own music to your own phone is hopelessly complex, time-consuming and annoying. So I just upload my tracks to SoundClick and listen with the app as I am working on them for mix in headphones, earphones, in the car etc. Then once I have my "album" complete, I'll burn the tracks to a CD and the add the entire CD to iTunes once.

Just checked it out, I like the format and the way you present your stuff - I'll give it a go. Nice music collection collection as well - gave me a little bit of time of easy listening :). Rgds - billroy

Thanks, billroy! That's very nice of you to say and much appreciated!

Archived