Gibson Brands Forums

NGD (not exactly acoustic)

SirNed

Picked up a 1950 ES-150 that needed a little TLC. I've never even played an archtop, but after looking at it, I couldn't resist getting it.

It was a factory 2nd (maybe the finish on the back was too dark). It had a back crack that was cleated, but the finish wasn't filled.

The owner tried to take good care of it by keeping it in the case. However, it had a thick chunk of celluloid being used as a spacer under the pickguard. Unfortunately, it broke down and off-gassed in the closed case. That caused some serious corrosion to the surrounding metal frets and electronics, plus the tuner buttons.

Nothing too major, so I thought I would do it all myself:

• Removed and cleaned-up the P-90 pickup and pots
  • Cleaned-up the frets
  • Replaced the non-original Gibson Adj bridge with a compensated rosewood one
  • Replaced the tuners with new Klusons
  • Replaced the 5-ply pickguard with one from C-Rocker (nice job replicating the original)

I am really digging this guitar. It must be the combo of the vintage P-90 and the hollow body.

Front:

vsSqgTu.jpg

Back:

TDOFAJv.jpg

After:

RyrzXWx.jpg

Really cool guitar!

Nice find, really nice job. I had an L-7 that had similar damage from a deteriorating celluloid pickguard. It's shocking how much damage it can do, both the metal like frets and to the finish itself.

Looks like an interesting case as well.

Thanks guys!

I was surprised that the finish wasn't more damaged.

From what I can tell the case is a lacquered tweed Geib from the 1930s. The handle brackets are stamped with the Geib name. I thought that usually the Geibs have the stripes, but this one doesn't.

We have not fixed ours up yet -- 1949.

I don't really understand the fingerboard inlay evolution -- if you look online, the 40s seem to have dots while the 50s seem to have the rectangles. (Anyone know the history here? This is out of our wheelhouse.)

In any case congratulations -- this is an iconic blue collar guitar.

O5hT6Rg.jpg

Best,

-Tom

Nice case. I like it.

I had an ES150, really liked the sound of that P90 through my Reverb Deluxe

If I remember correctly it's a 17" body if made after '46. I had a little problem finding a case for it.

I like it, too. It even came with some old boxes of Gibson strings!

Good memory - the lower bout is 17" across.

We have not fixed ours up yet -- 1949.

I don't really understand the fingerboard inlay evolution -- if you look online, the 40s seem to have dots while the 50s seem to have the rectangles. (Anyone know the history here? This is out of our wheelhouse.)

In any case congratulations -- this is an iconic blue collar guitar.

Dang, Tom. Another cool one. You must have the entire Gibson catalog!

I'm not sure what the story was behind the change. Material availability? Marketing?

Dang, Tom. Another cool one. You must have the entire Gibson catalog!

I'm not sure what the story was behind the change. Material availability? Marketing?

In the 30s and (especially) early 40s Gibson did a bunch of "floor sweep" instruments-- maybe it was that.

Best,

-Tom

Picked up a 1950 ES-150 that needed a little TLC. I've never even played an archtop, but after looking at it, I couldn't resist getting it.

It was a factory 2nd (maybe the finish on the back was too dark). It had a back crack that was cleated, but the finish wasn't filled.

The owner tried to take good care of it by keeping it in the case. However, it had a thick chunk of celluloid being used as a spacer under the pickguard. Unfortunately, it broke down and off-gassed in the closed case. That caused some serious corrosion to the surrounding metal frets and electronics, plus the tuner buttons.

Nothing too major, so I thought I would do it all myself:

• Removed and cleaned-up the P-90 pickup and pots
  • Cleaned-up the frets
  • Replaced the non-original Gibson Adj bridge with a compensated rosewood one
  • Replaced the tuners with new Klusons
  • Replaced the 5-ply pickguard with one from C-Rocker (nice job replicating the original)

I am really digging this guitar. It must be the combo of the vintage P-90 and the hollow body.

Front:

vsSqgTu.jpg

Back:

TDOFAJv.jpg

After:

RyrzXWx.jpg

what a beauty! Congrats! [thumbup]

Archived