Gibson Brands Forums

Strings - characteristics of aging

uncle fester

Hey Folks, I know new strings typically sound bright and chimey right off the bat and after a short time settle into their sound. My question, as strings age what are the characteristics that they are losing, what should I specifically be listening for? I hope its not too newbie of a question and appreciate any input.

Rgds - billroy

I try to stay away from describing sound. It means different things to different people. But everyone of us has a sound in our head that we think an acoustic guitar should replicate. I've just messed around with strings until I've found the strings that, once they are settled in, get as close to the sound in my head as possible.

A definite sign of wear is the third string’s winding no longer being continuous, as in small breaks in the the continuous winding appear. The string at that point begins to no longer ring and has a deadened sound. I find the third string is 99% of the time first to go. My approach is I buy a dozen or so extra third strings and swap one out for the worn one. That extends me being able use the other five strings for another reasonable period of time, usually until the replacement third string also dies. Then, it’s time to put anew set of string on. If I don’t, it won’t be long until none of the strings can hold their tension and tuning issues become dominant.

I use Martin SP acoustic bronze 80/20 lights or the newer but same Martin Authentic (SPs). Except the extra replacement stock of 3rd strings are whatever Just Strings happens to have available to buy a loose set of only 3rd strings (provided they are light gauge and wound.)

I am primarily a melodic acoustic guitar instrumentalist (read classical-like, but not formally trained, plus it’s on a steel stringed guitar, so it’s jazz not classical. In the vein of Laurence Juber, T. Emmanuel, Doyle Dykes, Segovia.). So my guitar string needs may differ from a vocal accompanist guitarist or a rhythm guitarist...although I do that, too at times.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Hey Folks, I know new strings typically sound bright and chimey right off the bat and after a short time settle into their sound. My question, as strings age what are the characteristics that they are losing, what should I specifically be listening for? I hope its not too newbie of a question and appreciate any input.

Rgds - billroy

Epi LP - I start getting a sort of chorus-like blur to the tone.

Hummingbird - it sounds like a wet maple.

Taylor 614 - No sparkle

Strat and Teles - Sounds like awful intonation

Floyd Rose - Shame, mostly. They stay on there for two years at a time. Sounds great. I feel the grit when sliding up and down the fretboard.

LTD ESP (beater acoustic) - Sounds wicked thin.

PRS SE - It plays like a dream when it has new strings on it. Very crisp feel to it.

I don't know on the epi semi's nor the Electromatic 5120. The latter I change and set up almost first every late Spring and Early Autumn. Habit. Oddly enough, I don't know on the Gibby LP. It's usually very soon after the Gretsch for semi-annual setup.

Point is, while it can be quite different, for me, it still boils down to how it sounds and/or how it plays. Except for the Floyd Rose. [biggrin]

I was just wondering, things like the G string failing are obvious to me, will watch for staying in tune - but tonally, nothing jumped out at me and wasn’t sure if there was anything to watch, listen for.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Patriotsbiker, your replies make sense, will do some hard listening but not sure I’ve got an ear developed to that level.

I was just wondering, things like the G string failing are obvious to me, will watch for staying in tune - but tonally, nothing jumped out at me and wasnt sure if there was anything to watch, listen for.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Patriotsbiker, your replies make sense, will do some hard listening but not sure Ive got an ear developed to that level.

As long as you still like the tone they produce, they stay in tune, and they aren't falling apart, just leave them on and play. If you consistently prefer the "new" string sound, change them more often.

There are no rules here.

It may be different if you perform a lot, and want the guitar to project and to cut through noise in a venue or as part of an ensemble. You may find yourself changing strings more frequently in that case.

The other thing to remember is that older strings may be weaker and more likely to break. If you're a performer, few things are worse than interrupting the flow to change a busted string.

As long as you still like the tone they produce, they stay in tune, and they aren't falling apart, just leave them on and play. If you consistently prefer the "new" string sound, change them more often.

There are no rules here.

It may be different if you perform a lot, and want the guitar to project and to cut through noise in a venue or as part of an ensemble. You may find yourselves changing strings more frequently in that case.

The other thing to remember is that older strings may be weaker and more likely to break. If you're a performer, few things are worse than interrupting the flow to change a busted string.

Well said!

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

There are no rules here.

It may be different if you perform a lot, and want the guitar to project and to cut through noise in a venue or as part of an ensemble. You may find yourselves changing strings more frequently in that case.

I'll second that, well said and appreciate the summary.

Now I'm off to craft a solo for a drop d, bluesy 'sheriff brown' song. If I can settle on the notes, maybe I'll change the strings to get it to pop a little more in a recording.

There are no rules here.

Now I'm off to craft a solo for a drop d, bluesy 'sheriff brown' song. If I can settle on the notes, maybe I'll change the strings to get it to pop a little more in a recording.

There are no rules here.

Archived