Gibson Brands Forums

Swapping out PCB board

Hi guys,

I have a 2018 Tribute model and already ordered 500k pots and orange drop capacitors, not happy with PCB board/300k pots. I have 490r neck/498t bridge PUP's that I think sound great. Was reading how to solder the wires from pickups online...red is hot, green and white solder and tape together, black and bare to ground, but I found that's only the case with 490r cause of the color coding on the quick connect tip. I know to clip it off and strip tips of wires bare (I'm not new to soldering), but I was reading that 498t has a different color code.

Question is...which is the hot wire on the 498t and which two wires do I solder and tape off and which is the ground I solder with the bare? I read white is hot, but not sure.

Need a little help. Much appreciated...

Hi guys,

I have a 2018 Tribute model and already ordered 500k pots and orange drop capacitors, not happy with PCB board/300k pots. I have 490r neck/498t bridge PUP's that I think sound great. Was reading how to solder the wires from pickups online...red is hot, green and white solder and tape together, black and bare to ground, but I found that's only the case with 490r cause of the color coding on the quick connect tip. I know to clip it off and strip tips of wires bare (I'm not new to soldering), but I was reading that 498t has a different color code.

Question is...which is the hot wire on the 498t and which two wires do I solder and tape off and which is the ground I solder with the bare? I read white is hot, but not sure.

Need a little help. Much appreciated...

Can you take a look at the wires of each pickup and verify this is true with your guitar first? May provide some good insight to check yourself what these colors are.

I did check the wires and they are as I said they are...red, white, black, green and bare on both pickups. They're quick connect pickups, so I clipped the connect end off and stripped the ends of the wires off. Now I just need to know which wires go where on the pots.

I did check the wires and they are as I said they are...red, white, black, green and bare on both pickups. They're quick connect pickups, so I clipped the connect end off and stripped the ends of the wires off. Now I just need to know which wires go where on the pots.

http://guitarnuts2.proboards.com/thread/7881/gibson-pickup-quick-connect-information

This seems to be what you're looking for. Seems like you may be correct on this and the conventional color coding doesn't apply sometimes. Another helpful tool here is to get a multi-meter and take resistance readings of each coil and when they are coupled, this way you can identify if you are at least putting them in series or parallel. Determining phase will be something that resistance won't help with so much, but at least half the battle will be done when you can identify the 2 leads/coil... If you notice signal loss, then you can change switch the wires accordingly to make in phase - unless you want an out-of-phase setup. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Hey, thanks for all your help. I wired up everything 50's style and works awesome! I just went by a Gibson wiring schematic from their website. Their pickups, even the new ones, are red wire is hot, green and white solder together and tape off, black and bare for ground. Did that on both pickups but got out of phase effect, so Gibson said if that happens, reverse leads on one of the pickups, so I did that on the neck pickup, reversed red and black and all worked. Thanks again...

Hey, thanks for all your help. I wired up everything 50's style and works awesome! I just went by a Gibson wiring schematic from their website. Their pickups, even the new ones, are red wire is hot, green and white solder together and tape off, black and bare for ground. Did that on both pickups but got out of phase effect, so Gibson said if that happens, reverse leads on one of the pickups, so I did that on the neck pickup, reversed red and black and all worked. Thanks again...

That's great man! I am happy that things worked out for you - and I hope you had fun msp_biggrin.gif

Archived