Gibson Brands Forums

Misaligned D string tuner--- will this have any negative effect?

Leffen

I was looking closely at a 7lb 9oz 2018 ES-335 Traditional from zZounds the past month. It was one of the lighest non-historic 335's I saw and it also seemed to have really good string spacing alignment

(ever since I had owned/sold a 335 where the high E would slip off with the slightest pull off, I've made a point of looking closely at the stock photos that show where the high E is in relation to the polepiece of the neck pickup, usually if its to the left that means I probably won't have a problem)

Unfortunately someone snagged it about 2 weeks ago but then I saw it was returned!

So I decided to take the plunge, and I'll have it my hands Saturday.

But now I think I might have figured out why it was returned after i asked zZounds to send me the stock photos:

If this is just cosmetic though, I can definitely live with it. There's a good chance I'm swapping them to TonePros klusons anyway, so I guess once my tech screws in the top hole for the Kluson it'll be straightened anyway?

2zT2VVx.jpg

I was looking closely at a 7lb 9oz 2018 ES-335 Traditional from zZounds the past month. It was one of the lighest non-historic 335's I saw and it also seemed to have really good string spacing alignment

(ever since I had owned/sold a 335 where the high E would slip off with the slightest pull off, I've made a point of looking closely at the stock photos that show where the high E is in relation to the polepiece of the neck pickup, usually if its to the left that means I probably won't have a problem)

Unfortunately someone snagged it about 2 weeks ago but then I saw it was returned!

So I decided to take the plunge, and I'll have it my hands Saturday.

But now I think I might have figured out why it was returned after i asked zZounds to send me the stock photos:

If this is just cosmetic though, I can definitely live with it. There's a good chance I'm swapping them to TonePros klusons anyway, so I guess once my tech screws in the top hole for the Kluson it'll be straightened anyway?

2zT2VVx.jpg

If you like everything else about the guitar, and the crooked tuner doesn't eat at you too much, then it doesn't matter. If your going to change the tuners, then it really doesn't matter. But, if you were going to keep those tuners, that would be a fairly easy thing to fix.

But, if you were going to keep those tuners, that would be a fairly easy thing to fix.

Remove tuner. Plug screw hole with a toothpick and some epoxy glue (or similar). Take a razor blade and shave plug flush to the back of the headstock. Insert tuner and align properly. Carefully drill new screw hole. Install screw.

Enjoy your new guitar. Anything under 8 lb is light for an ES 335. (I have a cherry-red Nashville Custom, Art, and Historic shop '59 Historic, and I love it.)

Remove tuner. Plug screw hole with a toothpick and some epoxy glue (or similar). Take a razor blade and shave plug flush to the back of the headstock. Insert tuner and align properly. Carefully drill new screw hole. Install screw.

Enjoy your new guitar. Anything under 8 lb is light for an ES 335. (I have a cherry-red Nashville Custom, Art, and Historic shop '59 Historic, and I love it.)

Thanks, the reason I bought the tonepros kluson is because I'm slightly worried that since the guitar is relatively lightweight for a 335, it might neck dive. Read somewhere switching to klusons usually takes 4-5 oz off the headstock end, which can make a huge diff in balance. Saturday can't come soon enough! I see you have a couple 335's, wonder if you have any experience on this.

Thanks, the reason I bought the tonepros kluson is because I'm slightly worried that since the guitar is relatively lightweight for a 335, it might neck dive. Read somewhere switching to klusons usually takes 4-5 oz off the headstock end, which can make a huge diff in balance. Saturday can't come soon enough! I see you have a couple 335's, wonder if you have any experience on this.

The Klusons are lighter than Rotomatics, for sure. The Kluson-style "Gibson Deluxe" tuners on my '59 Historic ES 335 are not particularly good tuners. The Tonepro Klusons are probably better. Remember that if you change, you will need to get the proper reduction bushings from Stewmac to adapt to the big stringpost holes in the headstock the rotos leave behind. Not a big deal, but it has to be done properly.

I'm not really an electric player, and haven't owned one with Rotomatics. My ES 335 balances just fine with kluson-style tuners.

My ES 335 12 had a huge headstock and two six-on-a-plate Klusons. Now that was a neck-heavy guitar!

Archived