Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: Gibson 2019 J-45 Walnut Custom Guitar Honey Burst

thejtl

I think I found my holy grail guitar today. Backstory: I’ve been a working musician for 30+ years but I’ve recently had some success with tech videos on YouTube. I promised myself I would buy myself a great guitar if I ever made real money with my creative stuff. Well, as of today, I did.

I’d been shopping around for a while, thinking about a Martin d-18 or d-28 or a J-45. I couldn’t find anything I really loved but this morning I was looking through the mail and saw the Gibson had released a GC exclusive J-45 Walnut just yesterday. I looked online and my store had it in stock so I went to check it out.

No one know what I was talking about, so I had to explain 3 times before they found it in the back, still in it’s shipping box. I was the first to play the thing. Looks great, smells great, plays amazing. I walked out an hour later with the guitar and I’m still pinching myself. I didn’t think I’d like the honey burst finish but it looks a lot better in person.

As I was checking out the manager told me that this guitar was a limited edition to the point that that GC would not be getting another one. It’s a beautiful, special guitar but not so fancy that I feel like it isn’t a J-45. I couldn’t be happier, until the sticker shock sinks in.

post-39685-017666900 1542689611_thumb.jpeg

I’ve played a similar walnut guitar, the J-15 walnut burst non-cutaway model. It was awesome! I can only imagine how good the J-45 one you mention must be. From the photo it looks awesome. Like that honey burst finish! Best of luck with it and congrats!

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark

Congrats on an amazing looking guitar. To get these jaded eyes to give a closer look at a J-45 in a Guitar Center promo ad (which expired the day before it came in the mail), is not easily done, but the Walnut Custom was there on the page showing. . . abalone upgrade, bound neck, bound headstock* with flower pot (*see j45Nick's avatar), cut diamond inlay markers, etc? The honeyburst is the best of both worlds- a Gibson sunburst, but when playing with Martins with aging toner, the h-burst has more of the look of an aged top, imho.

Hopefully, as a working guitarist, you might be able to share a clip. Enjoy.

Yeah, that’s me. Wow. Didn’t expect anyone to figure that out. I’m hoping to record some today and I’ll post a link.

Are you the painfully honest tech ?

Looking forward to a clip of this guitar. I’ve a j15 so would like to hear how similar/dissimilar they might be

Yours wins on looks though. Love those honeybursts

Great there - one assume you've played a lot if acoustics and recognize a lucky dart.

Not that easy to find a so called soul mate. Do I understand the set-up was bulls eye too.

You'll dig the burst more and more in the years to come.

Post us a tune and be even 'appier

Congratulations

Awesome!. Thanks. It has Grovers, which I prefer/ Every J-45 I've played in a store has been good, but not great. This one was great right out of the box.

quote name='duluthdan' timestamp='1542733118' post='1963496']

Subscribed ! Need a new phone and will get that 10R thanks ! What tuners are on that beauty ? Every J-15 I have ever played sounded great but the look was always a bit tepid. Your guitar is stunning ! A worthy acquisition indeed !!!