Gibson Brands Forums

Sheriff Brown

uncle fester

Hi folks,

To kick off the holiday here in the US, attached is my effort at a composition trying do a recording with multiple instruments, giving each their own place in the mix (Sheriff Brown). I recorded with Presonus Audiobox 44 interface with Prsounus Studio One SW. Also, attached video is a shameless effort to garner attention, but do believe it's got a level of entertainment to it, hope you enjoy!

The song started as just acoustic guitar in Drop D, but I began to add instruments (bass, banjo, elect guit for lead, drums). First pass, not really knowing how to use the FX right ended up being just mud. Doug R gave me great input (and huge thanks to him!) on how to approach the instruments, and manage them within the space of a mix.

My Big Rules of Thumb

•  
  • *Pan for L to R placement
  • *Reverb for front to back placement
  • *EQ to give instruments their on 'space?'

I know I've got a ways to go, but believe what I've produced has a glimmer of something to it.

Rgds - billroy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUhKB4kOL48&feature=youtu.be

'Knew BBG couldn't hold out forever. Yes, someone's dancing a little close to the edge, but some's gotta do what they gotta do.

From a mixing point of view- don't know; shock value garnered all the attention.

Aw hey don’t confuse ‘mad’ with dictionary mad ... think ‘mad party’

Cheered me up. And I’m all for anyone letting out whatever’s inside them !!

But if you are on medication maybe up the dosage

Lol, thanks all for the views and comments, (and pointers) really appreciate it. BBG, I took 'mad' as a good thing, like I'm 'phat' with a PH. It's 14 deg F (-10 C) out there today, I expect some good guitar playing time today. so in the words of Tpbii... Lets Pick!

Phat Bill (aka billroy)

Welcome to the addiction, billroy. It's fun stuff. I thought your mix to be quite good for being in the early stage of your journey. Yeah, mine was thick as mud, too, IIRC.

PB

Thanks PB, from your view after listening to this, where would you focus next in the mixing / recording space to help me take another step forward? Loaded question?

Thanks PB, from your view after listening to this, where would you focus next in the mixing / recording space to help me take another step forward? Loaded question?

Practice, practice and more practice? Sounds like a cop out, but it's really a skill that gets developed just like guitar. Fingers bleeding from playing all afternoon? Work on your latest mix. LOL

On to your question. Positive stuff: The song has decent presence to it. It's not difficult to hear. Doug R got you to a pretty good place already for just getting into this hobby/pastime. Anything I suggest could conflict with what he has said and advised. Personally, and this is a taste thing for me, I like to hear my music more than my vocals. I go too far to the extreme, though, but I am working on it. That said, ask youself this. Did various elements come though how you wanted them to come though? Are there some frequencies that are too busy? Too cluttered? Did things pile up at 200Hz and make some instruments sort of cloudy or boxy?

One nifty exercise is to not listen to this song for 5 days and then listen. Something will surprise you. If it's a bad surprise, find out what it is and go from there.

Do you use reference tracks?

PB

Practice, practice and more practice? Sounds like a cop out, but it's really a skill that gets developed just like guitar. Fingers bleeding from playing all afternoon? Work on your latest mix. LOL

On to your question. Positive stuff: The song has decent presence to it. It's not difficult to hear. Doug R got you to a pretty good place already for just getting into this hobby/pastime. Anything I suggest could conflict with what he has said and advised. Personally, and this is a taste thing for me, I like to hear my music more than my vocals. I go too far to the extreme, though, but I am working on it. That said, ask youself this. Did various elements come though how you wanted them to come though? Are there some frequencies that are too busy? Too cluttered? Did things pile up at 200Hz and make some instruments sort of cloudy or boxy?

One nifty exercise is to not listen to this song for 5 days and then listen. Something will surprise you. If it's a bad surprise, find out what it is and go from there.

Do you use reference tracks?

PB

That's good advice to let it sit for a week and come back to it. My last mix of Hotel California, I was focussing on the bassline because my son had just laid that track down. The more you focus on one aspect of the mix, the more it gets emphasized. When I put it up here, 62burst mentioned it was way forward in the mix, and of course, he's right. I used to pull my vocals back in the mix because I wasn't confident in them and wanted to bury them in guitar or in reverb. However, most casual listeners want to hear the vocal and don't even hear the other instruments specifically.

Stepping back and listening with "neutral" ears is one of the most difficult things to do because you are never objective about your own music and voice. It is always subjective.

That's good advice to let it sit for a week and come back to it. My last mix of Hotel California, I was focussing on the bassline because my son had just laid that track down. The more you focus on one aspect of the mix, the more it gets emphasized. When I put it up here, 62burst mentioned it was way forward in the mix, and of course, he's right. I used to pull my vocals back in the mix because I wasn't confident in them and wanted to bury them in guitar or in reverb. However, most casual listeners want to hear the vocal and don't even hear the other instruments specifically.

Stepping back and listening with "neutral" ears is one of the most difficult things to do because you are never objective about your own music and voice. It is always subjective.

I've been there. The next day kick-drum booming thing. Oooooops!!!

One additional thing on this little side topic is how much one instrument can change from day to day. I think it's unique to each individual, too. eg - I can track an acoustic guitar track and think it sounds too resonant with too little detail. Giving it a listen after a 2 hour break from the studio reveals a much tamer track than I had thought. Unlike an entire mix, it doesn't take me too long to get a fresh enough ear to hear big differences.

Archived