Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustics With Different Woods

BluesKing777

Here are a few acoustics made with all Australian woods and the world hasn't ended! Tuners from points unknown.

Tell us what you think after listening in nice headphones, preferably. I have not played these as yet.

The first one is a Maton "Australian' 808, a 00 size guitar. The back and sides are Australian Blackwood, the top is Bunya Pine, neck is Blackwood also, fretboard and bridge are Desert Acacia:

The next one is the dread version of the guitar above:

The next is another 808 but Blackwood back and sides and top....Queensland Maple neck and streaky Ebony fingerboard/bridge:

Next is a Cole Clark 00 size with Bunya Pine top, Blackwood back and sides, Blackbean fretboard, Queensland Maple neck:

BluesKing777.

Yes, I must get to play that Aust 808....

Cole Clark also have some guitars with tops made from Redwood that was grown here and was hanging dangerously over a cop station!

I have never played a Redwood top either, so that must go on the list. I have read that it is similar to Cedar but harder?

Here are a couple of bizarre striped tops with Blackwood back and sides - 1st one is 00/OM size and 2nd one a dread - I am not sure if I like the 'look'. These Cole Clarks have a 3 way pickup system:

BluesKing777.

I really liked the 3rd one - the 808 with the maple neck. I thought the dread sounded very muddy - too many overtones and echos that were stepping all over each other, but I could happily live with the 808. I can't remember seeing a Maton in any guitar store I've ever been in. Its unlikely I'll ever have the chance to try one.

OK BK I did listen. From the get go I cannot really form an impression from sound clips because so much depends on the way the player approached an instrument. If you do not dig in you will never know if the guitar has a percussive snap or whatever. I will say though my least favorite was the second guitar - the cutaway dread. I would not trade one of my Harmony Sovereigns for it.

All the wood stuff though is lost on me. When I first get my hands on a guitar, I never even look at what woods it is built with never mind how tight and even the grain of the top is. Too many variables involved in pulling sound out of a guitar.

I thought some others might just put up acoustics with different woods top compare...instead I get a 'minus 1' on the first post...

Soon, there may be no rosewood or mahogany allowed for guitars...don't know that but I am glad I have tried some other combos like my Tasmanian Blackwood and Queensland Maple....and I like...

BluesKing777.

Archived