Gibson Brands Forums

NGD...well, N same G again D!

Jinder

Hi all,

Well, this is an odd one...after a while I found the neck on my ‘68 F25 (which I bought hoping to alleviate my carpal tunnel symptoms by way of its wide neck) was having the opposite effect to that which I’d hoped for. I persevered and hoped I would adapt but I couldn’t cope with the 2” nut, so the sweet little thing has gone on to pastures new.

Cue a visit to my long standing dealer of choice, Glenn Sinnock in London. Always the best buying experience-Glenn is peerless.

I ended up leaving with an absolutely immaculate 2014 ‘41 Reissue SJ100. I owned one of these previously and deeply regretted selling it to pay for a car repair...they are a rare bird and I’m absolutely delighted to find another-this one is even more resonant and sweet than my previous one, and has a nicer neck profile too.

So very pleased to have one of these wonderful guitars back in my stable again. Can’t wait to put some miles on it!

Jinder what are the b/s wood on that year? If I recall correctly didn't Gibson make some J100's with bubinga? I have always been curious what they would sound like. Either way congrats, the J100 is on my wish list. Maybe Santa is listening.

The ‘41 Reissue is Mahogany. I also tried a 2017 Walnut SJ100 which was beautiful (one of the prettiest guitars I’ve ever seen) but the ‘41 was a little livelier and more responsive. The Walnut had older strings on it though which I’m sure were a factor.

Have to admit that I wondered if you'd get along with the neck on the F-25. I've never been partial to large neck profiles, so for me, the width of the F-25 was truly stunning!

Glad to hear it all worked out so well by being reunited with a past favorite. I've spent quite a bit of time hunting down old favorites that I'd sold or traded for one reason or another, and it's a real treat when you get them in-hand again.

Congrats & enjoy!

Congrats Brother.

I can see where the 2" neck on the F25 could be a bit daunting especially given your situation. It has the same neck carve that is on my B45-12 - a wide but a fairly shallow C. Ironically, while I prefer a neck with a bit more back to it, it may be the only 1960s Gibson I would buy.

I have long since given up trying to keep up with Bozeman reissues and just content myself with playing whatever I should happen to run across. So I had to look up the SJ-100. They seem to be fairly common here but knowing Bozeman I would guess there were a few different runs.

Thanks all! Really pleased with this one. Is livelier and more responsive than a lot of super Js I’ve played and really sings for fingerstyle. Really pretty and detailed strummer too, sounds very different to my SJ200 which I’m happy about-I love the super jumbo package so it’s nice to have two that offer such different tones.

I’m GASing for a Walnut 100 too now, I loved the one I played at Glenn’s!

Here are some pics of the new baby-if anyone can embed them please do!

https://imgur.com/gallery/6id71zB

https://imgur.com/gallery/XcsxHlu

Lovely burst, and the basic appointments compliment it beautifully.

I typically prefer natural finishes, but with a sunburst, this model looks just right!

Thankyou!! I love the classy and clean lines of it. I also kind of like the absence of the moustache bridge, to me that belongs to the SJ200 exclusively...the batwing bridge sort of sets this apart as a guitar with its own identity.

Archived