Gibson Brands Forums

Look at these prices here!

BluesKing777

Those AUS prices are just over $3K US for a J-45 standard or SJ. Same price for a J-200. $4855 US for a Hummingbird Vintage with cooked top. For comparison, that same 'bird is $4299 at Wildwood in the US of A.

Stop whinging. The problem is that South Pacific Peso you call the Australian dollar.

Are those AUS prices duty paid? Do you have GST on top of that?

By the way, I'm working in Sydney for a few weeks in February. Any stores there I should visit? Maybe play a few Matons?

Those AUS prices are just over $3K US for a J-45 standard or SJ. Same price for a J-200. $4855 US for a Hummingbird Vintage with cooked top. For comparison, that same 'bird is $4299 at Wildwood in the US of A.

Stop whinging. The problem is that South Pacific Peso you call the Australian dollar.

Are those AUS prices duty paid? Do you have GST on top of that?

By the way, I'm working in Sydney for a few weeks in February. Any stores there I should visit? Maybe play a few Matons?

Full summer in Sydney in February? Hot but tough! [biggrin] Guitars will be too sticky!

I am trying to think when I was last in Sydney and it is a long while now...the best guitar shop is long gone. I will think on it, Nick, but one thing is for sure, there will be a Maton on every corner! I don't know about the higher rent ones, perhaps at Gladesville Guitar factory. I see I have put the kabosh on them now - 'closed til you get there'.

https://guitarfactory.net/collections/maton-acoustic?sort_by=price-descending

Used to be guitar shops everywhere in town and Parramatta Road, Annandale...I went by bus from my hotel once...long long story involving the bus driver not telling me when to get out at Annandale..miles and miles of 2 story shops...

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=guitar+shops%2C+parramatta+road+annandale&rlz=1C1GGRV_enAU751AU751&oq=guitar+shops%2C+parramatta+road+annandale&aqs=chrome..69i57j0j69i64.8376j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

BluesKing777.

Wow almost 4k for a D-28. We got them in the US just online with no discount at $2700.

$4000 AUD is $2880 USD. and those prices may already include sales tax.

Not sure if I understand that site though, it is showing "street price" and implies you will get a lower price if you add it to your cart. I was unable to add a guitar to my cart however.

While that is all very nice for you guys, I only have Aust Dollars! [cursing]

A better title for your thread might be "look at the value of the Australian dollar here!" ;)

But anyway, I think new Gibson guitars are too expensive in US dollars also.

A better title for your thread might be "look at the value of the Australian dollar here!" ;)

But anyway, I think new Gibson guitars are too expensive in US dollars also.

The new prices make vintage (old) gibsons seems affordable and old wood can't be beat- in my ears anyway

Here is a question zi have pondered, so on Sweetwater's site a J-45 Standard is $2750. How much with wood, parts and labor does it cost Gibson to actually make just one of that particular model.

Considering Gibson's financial condition, it wouldn't surprise me if it cost them $3000. [biggrin]

The first shop prices I posted are low compared to these prices at a shop I really like, but...they won't extract this amount from me for a Gibson J45 Vintage. I would swim to Oregon and then walk to Montana first! I could get a nice '57 off Reverb.com delivered for less. (Though used prices generally follow the new price upwards...

https://www.acousticcentre.com.au/collections/new-arrivals/products/gibson-j-45-vintage-sunburst-acoustic-guitar

BluesKing777.

The first shop prices I posted are low compared to these prices at a shop I really like, but...they won't extract this amount from me for a Gibson J45 Vintage. I would swim to Oregon and then walk to Montana first! I could get a nice '57 off Reverb.com delivered for less. (Though used prices generally follow the new price upwards...

https://www.acousticcentre.com.au/collections/new-arrivals/products/gibson-j-45-vintage-sunburst-acoustic-guitar

BluesKing777.

I’ve had a 2016 j45 vintage (marketing misnomer) for 2 1/2 years, and I paid the same price for a 1957 country western last year. Seems like all the j45 vintage owners rave about theirs, but mine has been in its case for months now~ I even scavenged the strings from it recently. Compared to the ‘57 cw, I just don’t think it was worth the dough. I'll eventually sell it for half of its original cost. Live and learn. Try before buy. Lesson learned.

Archived