Gibson Brands Forums

Missing Gibson Guarantee Sticker

SNORX302

Just bought a 2016 Figured Turquoise ES second hand and upon delivery noticed that the Gibson guarantee sticker was missing. Guitar came with correct case, COA with matching serial number on the back of the headstock and even the original carboard Gibson box with SN, Model # and original store destination. Does anyone think the lack of the guarantee sticker in the body would decrease it's authenticity or value? I am not looking to part with it anytime soon, but I do want to make sure that i didn't get burnt. I'm 99% sure this is a real ES as it feels and plays similar to my others, but in this day and age, fakes are getting all to real.

post-96902-058514100 1543415135_thumb.jpg

post-96902-027322900 1543415161_thumb.jpg

post-96902-011870000 1543415254_thumb.jpg

Not sure they are still putting those stickers inside every guitar. I bought a 2013 L-5 and is has a sticker inside the body. Also bought a 2017 CS 356 and there is no sticker in that one. I have COAs for both, and I think that should be proof enough that it is real and genuine. I wouldn't worry about it.

Really nice looking ES by the way - hope you enjoy it. [thumbup] [thumbup]

It should have the sticker. That may "devalue" it to some, but there is no real reason it should. You still have everything to authenticate/document it. Be sure to keep the box label. It also ties the serial number to the model number, and the model number has the year in it (the model year). So with the COA and box label, you're covered. Nothing close to a deal breaker for me. Especially if you have a "good one".

2016 Gibson Memphis are some of Gibson's best. Enjoy that bad boy!

One beautiful guitar! I love the color. I was at the Memphis factory last year, and played a one- off ES335 in the same color vein as yours. It happened to be on a rack that the sales tech identified as guitars that were stained a color other than what was being offered as a standard color through Gibson Memphis. Since they would not go into production, they had reduced prices on them. I did not look to see if there was the sticker inside, but its possible that your guitar may be one of these models? At any rate, you will certainly get comments when you play that sweet thing out there.

A beautiful piece. so enjoy it!

Edited by Djhblues

Thank you everyone for the replies and comments. With so many guitars coming from the Orient these days, I wanted to see what you guys thought as far as having an authentic Gibson without the label. The thing sounds as good as it looks and feels. The original box with serial number and model info is probably more than enough to show this to be a real deal Gibson if I ever part with down the road, but I don't see that day coming anytime soon. Still getting used to it's overall size, but I think that'll be second nature shortly.

Thank you everyone for the replies and comments. With so many guitars coming from the Orient these days, I wanted to see what you guys thought as far as having an authentic Gibson without the label. The thing sounds as good as it looks and feels. The original box with serial number and model info is probably more than enough to show this to be a real deal Gibson if I ever part with down the road, but I don't see that day coming anytime soon. Still getting used to it's overall size, but I think that'll be second nature shortly.

Re the size, lots are opting for newer smaller models like the 339, because they obviously are more comfortable. But they do not sound like a 335. If you want a 335, you have to get a 335. Anything else is a compromise. There is a reason they still make them after all these years.

Congrats!!!! ...definitely a nice one you got there!!! I've no idea why there was no Guaranteed sticker in the f-hole. Either it fell off or somebody forgot to install it. But the sticker is a tradition for ES types.

Well, papers do not make a Gibson. It's easier to fake the papers than the actual guitar. In fact, I believe I saw that orange sticker reproduction on EvilBay! You just hand write the SN on it.

• 4 years later...

I bought a DEMO ES-339 second hand without an f hole sticker. It’s an authentic guitar and I even have the Gibson aftermarket certification and warranty evaluation papers. Was anyone in this thread able to locate a sticker replacement? If so, how?

On 6/22/2023 at 10:46 PM, LG King said:

Contact Gibson and say..."Hey, where's my sticker"...?!

If you do your wasting your time. They wont reissue stickers or COA's. It just doesn't happen. Its been discussed here over 1000 times. Gibson has less important stuff to do, like inventing another useless serial number scheme.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

• 3 weeks later...