Gibson Brands Forums

Help! What exactly is this double neck.

Vintar

Greetings everyone. Let me first introduce myself. My name is Darcy and I have started collecting what I think could be rare guitars. I am not a musician(trying to learn now) but I love guitars.

I found this guitar through a friend of mine who has had it since the 80's. He tells me he had to rescue it when his house burned down, that's where the burn marks on the guitar come from. It is a 12 string and 6 string guitar that seems to have all the parts from the era of the serial number. The 6 string neck is stamped MADE IN U.S.A. and seriaL # 83081662, which dates it at 1981. The neck has 22 frets, has a volute and appears to be made of 1 piece of mahogany.

The 12 string neck appears to be made from 3 pieces of mahogany, plus the wings. It has 21 frets.

The pickups are 2 t-top pickups at the necks, one is stamped with patent, the other has the ink stamp. The bridge pickup is a Dimarzio. The bridges are both "Leo Quan Bad ***" from that era. The electronics use a 9v battery that passes through one of the knobs. The body seems to be made out of 4 separate pieces of mahogany, stacked then quartered. the tuners on the 6 string are vintage Schallers and the 12 string has vintage grovers. There are no identifiable markings on the body.

I would like to know if I have an interesting home made project or did a Gibson employee perhaps got creative on his breaks.

Here is a pic of the body, I can photograph any part of guitar and post it, just let me know what you need to see. Any help or direction in identifying what I have is greatly appreciated.

post-96915-067382500 1543450758_thumb.jpg

msp_blink.gif

Never seen Gibson necks and boards finished and shaped quite like either of those.

The '12' has a 20-fret neck with no dot past the 17th? Hmm....

Gibson has made some bolt-on neck guitars in that period, of course, but I'm not sure they would have looked like either of those two.

Whatever it started out as my guess is that it wasn't a Gibson - not unless some SERIOUS mistakes have been meted out to the poor thing(s).

As Brad has already mentioned; some detailed pics of front and rear of headstock - and also the neck heels - would be a help one way or another...

Pip.

Greetings everyone. Let me first introduce myself. My name is Darcy and I have started collecting what I think could be rare guitars. I am not a musician(trying to learn now) but I love guitars.

I found this guitar through a friend of mine who has had it since the 80's. He tells me he had to rescue it when his house burned down, that's where the burn marks on the guitar come from. It is a 12 string and 6 string guitar that seems to have all the parts from the era of the serial number. The 6 string neck is stamped MADE IN U.S.A. and seriaL # 83081662, which dates it at 1981. The neck has 22 frets, has a volute and appears to be made of 1 piece of mahogany.

The 12 string neck appears to be made from 3 pieces of mahogany, plus the wings. It has 21 frets.

The pickups are 2 t-top pickups at the necks, one is stamped with patent, the other has the ink stamp. The bridge pickup is a Dimarzio. The bridges are both "Leo Quan Bad ***" from that era. The electronics use a 9v battery that passes through one of the knobs. The body seems to be made out of 4 separate pieces of mahogany, stacked then quartered. the tuners on the 6 string are vintage Schallers and the 12 string has vintage grovers. There are no identifiable markings on the body.

I would like to know if I have an interesting home made project or did a Gibson employee perhaps got creative on his breaks.

Here is a pic of the body, I can photograph any part of guitar and post it, just let me know what you need to see. Any help or direction in identifying what I have is greatly appreciated.

I can identify that as a guitar you don't want to start your collecting with.

rct

Archived