Gibson Brands Forums

1977 Gibson SG III mini humbuckers

mikijh

Hi everyone! I have a SG III I purchased new in 1977. I was thinking of replacing the switches (switchcraft), jack (?), pots (CTS) and pickups. Pretty much a nice update for an old friend. I have the black covered mini humbuckers. Are the new minis that are out there by Gibson, Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio much better than the originals or are my old pickups comparable? I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Miki

post-96549-007510500 1543503818_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

If everything is operating properly, I recommend that you just leave it alone. I have a '79 SG Standard that came to me in 1981/1982 (or so) with the original bridge PUP changed out an original very early Dimarzio SD. I was never in love with how the Dimarzio complemented the original neck PUP, so I eventually switched it out in the '90s to a 500T (and the matching 496R), and re-wired it to having a single tone control for PUPs with the second tone knob becoming a phase-out switch. My bottom line: I wish I had left it all alone and changed out only the Dimarzio to something that would complement the stock neck PUP. That all being said ... I still have the original neck PUP, and the 496R/500T are very good PUPs that I have been very happy with (I know many don't like them, but they have served me very well). I just feel stock is often better than making updates for the sake of updates. Just a very humble opinion...

my '79 SG Standard:

4575540053_large.jpg?v=0

If everything is operating properly, I recommend that you just leave it alone. I have a '79 SG Standard that came to me in 1981/1982 (or so) with the original bridge PUP changed out an original very early Dimarzio SD. I was never in love with how the Dimarzio complemented the original neck PUP, so I eventually switched it out in the '90s to a 500T (and the matching 496R), and re-wired it to having a single tone control for PUPs with the second tone knob becoming a phase-out switch. My bottom line: I wish I had left it all alone and changed out only the Dimarzio to something that would complement the stock neck PUP. That all being said ... I still have the original neck PUP, and the 496R/500T are very good PUPs that I have been very happy with (I know many don't like them, but they have served me very well). I just feel stock is often better than making updates for the sake of updates. Just a very humble opinion...

my '79 SG Standard:

4575540053_large.jpg?v=0

I appreciate your recommendation. I have been concerned about changing out the pickups and not being happy. I will need to update the pickup switches as they have become spotty even after putting deoxit on them. Probably do the pots (500K?) and output jack too. I think that will make a huge difference.

I appreciate your recommendation. I have been concerned about changing out the pickups and not being happy. I will need to update the pickup switches as they have become spotty even after putting deoxit on them. Probably do the pots (500K?) and output jack too. I think that will make a huge difference.

My 1977 SG IIIpost-96549-065561100 1545885937_thumb.jpeg

Archived