Gibson Brands Forums

Paint Code

Hawkesman

Sorry Rabs, I don't understand. I need an exact match, or the nearest I can get. That's why I'm after the code, as I'm assuming it'll relate to an automotive paint.

Oh right sorry I didn't get the paint code thing.. I thought you were after what Gibson may call cardinal red cos they have all sorts of stupid names for the colours they use... I don't know anything about any official codes. I would have thought though if you take an example of the colour you want they would be able to match it without a code? As I say, I know nothing about it, that was just a guess.

Oh right sorry I didn't get the paint code thing.. I thought you were after what Gibson may call cardinal red cos they have all sorts of stupid names for the colours they use... I don't know anything about any official codes. I would have thought though if you take an example of the colour you want they would be able to match it without a code? As I say, I know nothing about it, that was just a guess.

No worries! Yeah - lots of people have daft names for the colours they use. My last Jag was in 'Pacific Blue', yet it was so dark it was almost Navy Blue! Anyhow, I might try Gibson, see if they can help (yeah, right!).

• 2 weeks later...

Did Gibson Get there colors from Automotive colors of the original time period? Like what Fender Guitars did? My guess is, its possible.. I would find some 1964 ,1965 Color Chips for cars.. and start there..

Better yet... Go to a Autobody Supply shop that sells Dupont Paint.. they have really good cameras.. and could probably get you the color in a 5 minute wait.. and the match would be within I bet 0.6 percent bang on.. they could also tell you the year make of car it was for.

Archived