Gibson Brands Forums

Paying Song Royalties...

Jim Wilson

After I finished the album, I sat down and sent off royalty checks for the various songs that I had covered. In the time it took the mail to run to Longview, Alberta, and back, I got a phone call. "This is Ian Tyson, and I can't believe a g--damn Texan is actually paying me royalties for my songs!"

After I finished the album, I sat down and sent off royalty checks for the various songs that I had covered. In the time it took the mail to run to Longview, Alberta, and back, I got a phone call. "This is Ian Tyson, and I can't believe a g--damn Texan is actually paying me royalties for my songs!"

Longview is just a short drive from here. You want I should go rough him up for ya? ;)

MP, I've covered several of his tunes on three albums....Cowboy Pride, Summer Wages, Lights of Laramie, and Blue Mountains of Mexico, to name a few.

I try to pay song royalties directly to the writer whenever possible. That way, I'm sure that they actually get the money.

MP, I've covered several of his tunes on three albums....Cowboy Pride, Summer Wages, Lights of Laramie, and Blue Mountains of Mexico, to name a few.

I try to pay song royalties directly to the writer whenever possible. That way, I'm sure that they actually get the money.

That's very cool, Jim, how do you get the songwriter's address? What about paying the publisher (which can be the same person), mess with that or not?

When I can get the songwriter's address, I deal directly with him/her. Otherwise, you have to go through the Harry Fox Agency to secure recording rights. And going thru Harry Fox, just like BMI or ASCAP, I just wonder how much of the money the songwriter actually sees. Most songwriters seem very pleased when you hand, or mail, them a check.

Archived