Gibson Brands Forums

New purchase advice: Orville by Gibson or Epi Elitist

Chris1547

I’m getting the itch to pick up another Les Paul and thought this time around I’d look into an Orville by Gibson or an Elitist.

I have found a real nice ‘94 goldtop that is an Orville and a 2004 elitist burst that owner upgraded with Wofletone Dr. Vintage pickups and Faber bridge and stop.

Both are the same money. 1k each.

I’ve read a lot and it seems like both brands have a loyal following but it seems like many say the elitist are a little better in terms of fit and finish?

Which is the better one to go with?

The Elitists are usually top grade guitars, you should have no real reservations hunting one down. I had an Elitist Chet Atkins (2002), it was fantastic, one of the only guitars I ever made dough on (not a lot but some) when I turned it around 15 years after buying it. (it was gorgeous and it was mint)

I'm not all that familiar with Orville's however I thought the Orville's were also from Japan, and who knows -- probably made where the elitists were made.

IME one thing for sure Japanese built Guitars are usually head and shoulders above the other imports. They've always have and still, do it right. I had a few Japanese made Fenders back from the 80s, I regret selling them. they were really excellent all around.

But like Twang says, the proof is in the playin. if you can get your hands on them,, that IS the best way to decide,, hard to do though if this is an eBay transaction. Sight unseen, I'd lean toward the Elitist simply because the track record for those has been pretty much spot less.

Archived