• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My New Maton Recorded Acoustically Warning: Maton Content

#1 User is offline   BluesKing777 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:37 PM

I was reading this thread on the other channel and there the general consensus is that Matons sound dull and lifeless acoustically and only any good when plugged in. It IS great plugged in , but I like it unplugged too, so I made a quick blues recording to play them ...(nobody replied).

Anyway, I think of the sound of my 808 deep body as a version of my 59 Gibson LG3 type of sound - pure fingerpicking love! Bright and glassy to cut. Sure has a better pickup system! Oh, that is the fuss.

What do you think?

https://soundcloud.c...-3/blue-mic777z

BluesKing777.

This post has been edited by BluesKing777: 05 December 2018 - 05:38 PM

#2 User is offline   QuestionMark 

• Advanced Member

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:54 PM

I think it sounds pretty darn good! Nice skilled playing by you, too!

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

#3 User is offline   billroy 

• Advanced Member

Posted 05 December 2018 - 06:41 PM

Two thumbs up from me BK, she sounded real nice, good balance and real good clarity, I'd be happy to have that in my stable... but I've got a few gibby's to aquire before I venture away from the family :)
'18 Gibson J45, vintage
'86 Guild D25
'00 Fender Strat (American Standard)
'90 Fender Strat (Korea, bought in an open market in Korea... yeah it might be real)
'68 Gibson SG
'17 Several 3 String CBGs

"Want people to listen to your stuff, don't play boring stuff..." heard somewhere.

#4 User is offline   jedzep 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCrankytown, NY

Posted 05 December 2018 - 06:48 PM

Smooth, blended and rich sounding, BK, if a little bass heavy, though that might be my subwoof needs a tweaking. That's just fingertips and nails, right?

You're an expert blues player, no doubt, but especially effective setting a percussive beat and bass line aside some delicate treble feathering. I'd love to see a clip of your hands in action. Wonder why you haven't put one up.

Great work. Excuse me while I go throw my guitars in the stove.
I may not be good lookin', but at least I ain't got no money.

'31 L0
'35 L00
'50 J50
'62 Martin 00018
'57 Guild M20
'63 Guild F30

#5 User is offline   BluesKing777 

• Advanced Member

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:20 PM

Thanks!

I think my new guitar is all round fab! I think, well I know, Maton rejigged these models with better scalloped braces etc about 2012 and ditched the cheapo budget laminated sides models...

Just weird that I read this same old...'useless acoustically, great plugged' every time the name Maton comes up. Latest was yesterday! Get with the program peoples....

Now a video of my fingerpicking, JZ. Big problem. [cursing] I recently got the new Super Duper Broadband NBN and the official installer was a ...turdfirstclass. He said I needed a booster to use it in the back rooms of my house....well, drill a hole in the wall there, fella and put the modem there, not in the front of the house..shish....and are you going to fill that hole in the front garden before you leave, aren't you?...Yes, sir....didn't....drove off in a hurry.....etc.... (I load small music files on to a thumbdrive.)

BluesKing777.

#6 User is offline   george wooden 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:29 PM

I am not sure to which, other forum, you refer to but if they are raining down on the sound of your Maton recorded acoustically they need to sell whatever instruments they own and just be satisfied playing cigar box guitars.

#7 User is offline   BluesKing777 

• Advanced Member

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:02 PM

Thanks George!

Yep, it is a bit strange for a number of reasons, this Maton ownership...I have returned to my pre-forum days of using my instincts to tell if I like a guitar! And I do. But ie. if I wanted to know the gap width between the saddle and the pins of a Gibson, I could ask here or look it up. What glue is used on the neck joint of a new Gibson acoustic. Find it here, ask or search. But if I want to know what glue they use on my Maton acoustic, there is nowhere..zip, to ask. Options in the Custom shop? Neck size in the Custom Shop? Best model for fingerpicking? Flatpicking? :mellow:

I love jumping on a similar size guitar of different makes and comparing the sounds and feel. (especially since I gave up smokng and took up trying to buy every guitar I see!) [mellow]

BluesKing777.

This post has been edited by BluesKing777: 05 December 2018 - 10:10 PM

#8 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:05 AM

Itís a nice guitar , helped tremendously by your playing
But it ainít no gibson or Martin that you have there. Or cargill for that matter

#9 User is offline   BluesKing777 

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:47 AM

Yep, no rattles or buzzes or glue splashes and really easy to play with a perfect setup straight out of the box, while ready to plug and play with the best pickup system on the planet! [flapper] [flapper] [flapper]

Listen and weep!

BluesKing777.

This post has been edited by BluesKing777: 06 December 2018 - 02:53 AM

#10 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:18 AM

Sorry BK
No tears

😃

#11 User is offline   BluesKing777 

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:25 AM

I wasnít serious!

BluesKing777.

#12 User is offline   livemusic 

• Have Gibson, will travel
  • LocationLouisiana, USA

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:38 AM

You're playing is great and I thought the guitar sounded great. It has a somewhat unusual sound but it's pleasing, nonetheless.
~~~
Bill

1956 Country Western, natural
1968 J-50, natural
1992 J-30, all-mahogany
1993 Gospel, sunburst
1994 Gospel 100th Anniversary, natural
1995 Gospel w/Gibson Accuvoice pickup, natural
2004 WM-45, sunburst
2010 J-45, sunburst
2011 Jackson Browne Model A, sunburst
2016 J-45 1942 Legend Limited, Torrefied, sunburst
Too many more (other brands)

#13 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:19 AM

BluesKing777, on 06 December 2018 - 04:25 AM, said:

I wasnít serious!

BluesKing777.

No. I know
Nor I
Itís only a guitar on a guitar forum
Iím seldom serious

Would just rather hear your gibsons
Iím a gibson guy , itís why im here 😁

#14 User is offline   BluesKing777 

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:26 AM

Thanks LM!

Just enjoying every day as much as we can! Never know what is coming up - it is really, realy hot here tonight (10.20PM at night)....so I took the dog to the beach that is normally deserted, let her have a splash and next thing the place is crawling with cops with torches and a heli buzzing around overhead. Very Zen.

Though I like all kinds of acoustics, old and new, there is something fantastic about a well setup new set of frets on a new neck! So even all over and superb to play....fret job for all the guitars coming up [mellow]

BluesKing777.

This post has been edited by BluesKing777: 06 December 2018 - 05:35 AM

#15 User is offline   EuroAussie 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:27 PM

Youre playing is great, but it aint no Gibson, thats for sure. Ill be back in Oz for 3 weeks this time in January so will take the Matons for a spin ..again. But each time Im back I put them down as quickly as try them. Lets see if somethings changed.

The Big Fat Lady 02' Gibson J-150
The Squares 11' Hummingbird TV, 08' Dove
The Slopeys 11' Gibson SJ (Aaron Lewis), 02' AJ
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
The Lonely Electric: 95' Les Paul

What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnat...oubleshotprague

#16 User is offline   ThemisSal 

• Ordinary Member

Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:15 PM

GibbyPrague youíre alive!
Yeah... for me I will always be a GibMar guy. I do dabble on the edges occasionally (tak); never seen a Maton up close. Have to check them out. Russoís started selling a few Cole cLarks. Never heard of them either...
Anyways letís leave on a compliment... your playing is... boom.

#17 User is offline   BluesKing777 

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:43 PM

Ha!

I just won a little bet with a friend!

It is actually my '59 Gibson LG3 in the recording. Tricked ya! [mellow]

BluesKing777.

#18 User is offline   jedzep 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCrankytown, NY

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:33 PM

Now you'll really have to get a vid setup. We can no longer trust your word.

Speaking of buying every guitar you see, I thought I was all good with my little stable of four, but something happened when a long awaited search came back X 2. Bought a couple old Guilds...two of the finest guitars I've played/owned in my life. 6 mos interest free PPal, but I'll be scrambling to beat the deadline. Then I'm done. No, really.

I hear laughing.
I may not be good lookin', but at least I ain't got no money.

'31 L0
'35 L00
'50 J50
'62 Martin 00018
'57 Guild M20
'63 Guild F30

#19 User is offline   BluesKing777 

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:50 PM

View Postjedzep, on 06 December 2018 - 04:33 PM, said:

Now you'll really have to get a vid setup. We can no longer trust your word.

Speaking of buying every guitar you see, I thought I was all good with my little stable of four, but something happened when a long awaited search came back X 2. Bought a couple old Guilds...two of the finest guitars I've played/owned in my life. 6 mos interest free PPal, but I'll be scrambling to beat the deadline. Then I'm done. No, really.

I hear laughing.

Just stirring, JZ...it really is my Maton EBG808 satin black....

So, these new buys are not on the list of guitars at the bottom of your posts? And what is the (very dangerous sounding) PPal 6 months interest free? Sounds like a delusion illusion to me! Like this: I had a sep account in my bank from years ago when interest rates were pretty good but for many years that account has been worthless really. When I gave up smoking I determined to put any guitar sales dollars in this account - the guitar fund! So the delusion illusion part, here it comes: I put 2 guitars I wasn't playing up on consign and only 1 sold - cash to the Guitar Fund, but the other guitar I ended up trading for the Waterloo ladder braced plus a Hiscox for it to live in...no money changed hands on that. And then, when I saw and played the black Maton, I paid out of my everyday bank account intending to move the Guitar Fund money over to cover daily living.....So technically, technically I say, the Guitar Fund is still flush! [smile]

BluesKing777.

#20 User is offline   BluesKing777 

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:20 PM

View PostBluesKing777, on 06 December 2018 - 05:26 AM, said:

Never know what is coming up - it is really, realy hot here tonight (10.20PM at night)....so I took the dog to the beach that is normally deserted, let her have a splash and next thing the place is crawling with cops with torches and a heli buzzing around overhead. Very Zen.

[mellow]

BluesKing777.

Update - earlier, we are now told, there had been a massive gang fight at a shop car park and the Police Riot Squad were sent in, but by the time they arrived the gangs had dispersed...the smart ones ran off home and the dumb ones went to the beach! And continued drinking, fighting, disturbing the rich folk in their beach houses. So as I was giving my doggie a little swim, the Riot Squad and the Dog Squad were arriving to change their minds. [smile] It did occurr to me that I could have been in an episode of 2 1/2 Men where they 'release the hounds'.....

BluesKing777.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users