Gibson Brands Forums

Mystery Gibson

JuanCarlosVejar

it's clearly a dove...

or a vulture

Or a Mockingbird.

Juan Carlos- very cool, that is indeed a mystery guitar. A mix of clues spanning 30 or so years. By the footprint & the deep body, it could’ve started life as a custom Nick Lucas, done in rosewood, the pickguard from the late ‘30’s/early ‘40’s Super 400? With the L5 neck we were just talking about

Updated info

From the owner of the guitar: For over 50 years it's been owned by friends and the lore was that it was custom built for a Mexican celebrity - perhaps a woman or child star - as it has a unusually small body for a Gibson of that likely vintage.

I love everything about it ... and that bridge design is way cool!

My guess is this can be considered the grandfather of today’s L 200/J 200 M

JC

Why would a 12 fretter need 21 frets? That's nine full frets past the body! It would be interesting to measure the scale length. Measure from the nut to the saddle. That might tell us if that neck belongs to that body. I suspect not.

Why would a 12 fretter need 21 frets? That's nine full frets past the body! It would be interesting to measure the scale length. Measure from the nut to the saddle. That might tell us if that neck belongs to that body. I suspect not.

The neck is two piece maple which is consistent with the prewar jumbos. Maybe this guitar was built on a deadline and they didn’t have the proper tooling for a smaller neck. If more info is posted ... I’ll share it here.

JC

JC-is this your guitar? Where’d you find it? Any info the seller gave you? Are the photos yours or from the Internet?

What a very interesting guitar.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Jeff,

No, not mine.

It was posted by the gibson’s repair and restoration team on facebook.

The photos were taken by those guys I believe.

JC

What an odd guitar!

That bridge is way back on the body to accommodate the long scale of the neck. There's a lot of distortion in the photos, so it's hard to get a feel for the exact shape and size of the body. But the rosewood back and sides, body depth, and shape suggest maybe a 1933 Nick Lucas body with back-shifted bracing and soundhole to accommodate the unusual neck configuration and bridge placement.

Seriously funky.

The neck is two piece maple which is consistent with the prewar jumbos. Maybe this guitar was built on a deadline and they didn’t have the proper tooling for a smaller neck. If more info is posted ... I’ll share it here.

JC

It certainly looks like a pre-war J200 neck! Fascinating guitar.

Ray Whitley "Party Guitar"? Really? Hmm. . .

Well done, Juan Carlos- you've connected many dots with the posting of the Ray Whitley small body link. NMM 5991. Guitar by Gibson, Inc., Kalamazoo, 1940. Ray Whitley Custom "party guitar" (13-5/8"). Tall hips on that small body guitar. Seeing it next to the Mexican Mystery Guitar on the right:

5loPpYT.png

‘Wondering if that bridge was anything other than ebony, if it would still be intact at the “points“

Good question.

That pickguard is the original version of the one we see on some of the J-200 Western Classics.

Archived