Gibson Brands Forums

Parting with my Thalia Capo

drathbun

Hey fellow forum folk! You may have seen my posts gushing about my new G7th Heritage Capo. Well, I'm committing to it completely and do not use any other capo.

In my search for a great capo, I've accumulated quite a few. Some of them are good (Shubb and Thalia), some are terrible (Paige and Kyser) IMO.

I bought my Thalia capo a couple years ago and even did an unboxing YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N08YnQNd6SE

I've decided to sell the Thalia and before I put it up on eBay or Kijiji, I thought I'd offer it to my fellows here at my guitar forum of choice. I paid $120 Cdn for it two years ago. It has never left my studio and is in excellent condition.

It is a 24K Gold Plated capo with a birdseye maple sunburst inlay. I purchased the gift/display box as well and added two sets of capo pad kits; a standard rubber kit and a high-tension rubber kit. So the total package contains:

Thalia Capo

Gift / Display box

2 standard capo pad kits

1 high tension rubber pad kit

1 rubber pad kit

2 drawstring bags

Please send me a message if you are interested in it. You will, of course, have to pay for shipping from Calgary, Alberta Canada to your location.

tkDZgAI.jpg

4TB56td.jpg

Here is Tony Polecastro's (Acoustic Tuesday) YouTube video review of the Thalia. He gigged with it for a year before making this review. If you want to skip directly to his personal impressions, fast-forward to 4:10 of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUkkNaQR_3s

Moderators: Please feel free to remove this post if it is inappropriate. There used to be a Trading Post forum for this kind of thing so I'm unsure of where to post this now.

I understand the kyser dislike drathbun, personally I don’t hate them but I get why a fella wouldn’t like them

I’m wondering what it is you don’t like about the Paige capo though ?

I put the Paige on my Martin 000-28vs and it damaged the neck. I'm a little miffed when a device damages my $5000 guitar.

I probably have a dozen capos. Haven’t “fully committed myself to any of them” some of them suck, some are really good! Hard to beat a good old fashioned shubb!

I have 11 capos:

3 Shubb

1 Kyser

1 Planet Waves

1 Paige

1 Thalia

4 G7th (Performance, Performance 2, Newport, Heritage)

I'm keeping all three of my Shubbs (12 string, classical and regular deluxe) although they are gathering dust.

The Kyser is in use as a headphones hook and I use the Planet Waves when I need to remove the strings at the bridge rather than at the headstock for saddle adjustments etc.

The Heritage works on all my guitars from my classical to my Gibson 12 string to my Fender strat.

The Shubbs are probably the best bang for your capo buck though.

No offense but I just looked at Paige Capos on the net they are thumb screw type. So only you could have overtightened it. I have Kysers and they move easy and have rubber to protect the neck. The Paige looks like it has heat shrink over metal that makes contact with the neck.

No. My Paige has bare metal in the throat / inside arms part of the capo. It is my bad for even trying a capo that had no neck protection on parts that come into contact with the guitar.

Doug, do you realise you might have a bit of a capo 'issue' ?

Do you need to talk about it?

ps: I use only a G7 at gigs myself. bu i dont really think about it that much ...

LOL! Hello. My name is Doug and I'm a capoaholic! I used to think "One woman, many capos", but now, I'm a reformed man. It is "One woman, One Heritage capo" for me now forever. (Don't ask me about guitars)

LOL! Hello. My name is Doug and I'm a capoaholic! I used to think "One woman, many capos", but now, I'm a reformed man. It is "One woman, One Heritage capo" for me now forever. (Don't ask me about guitars)

You seem to be well along your recovery. Im super proud of you Doug. Everybody give Doug a big round of applause and a big pat on the back.

in two months we might even let him out of the asylum and back into the public, he's progress is so impressive. =D>

Very tempting and thanks for the info. But I will have to pass. My old Fisher amp is toast and I need to hunt down another to serve as either a temporary or permanent replacement. Again, thanks though. If anybody out there has a 500B or 800B or maybe an X-100 they are willing to part with give me a ring

Welcome to the yoke-style capo club, Doug! Certainly players that use a capo have their favorite and their own reasons for it being so, but for solid function, no design works better than a yoke-style. Paige, Elliot, G7th among others are all variations of this type capo with differences that appeal to different players. I have at least one of each of these names but the one that stays on my guitar is the Kat Eyz. It's not as fancy as the G7th or the Elliot but it has three design features that make it the one for me. Of all the yoke-style capos I have used, the KE has the smallest profile. The crossbar is of a very small diameter, not much larger than the frets on the fingerboard. This appeals to me. The crossbar latch is a very simple yet foolproof design. Both the G7th Heritage and the Elliot use a square latch over a square pin on the end of the crossbar. The G7th is better than the Elliot but neither is, to my eye and use, as functional and effective as the round stirrup design of the Kat Eyz. Lastly, the KE tension screw snugs up quicker than either of the others. Perhaps that has something to do with the "V" shaped, two points of contact neck cradle......I dunno.....but the KE is faster to place and snug than the Elliot or the G7th.

I will say that extensive personal testing of these capos as revealed (at least to my ears) a distinct tonal advantage with the G7th Heritage. I cannot figure out why, but this capo produces a richer tone than the Elliot or the KE, and the difference is quite obvious. I asked the G7th folks about this and they said yes, that the Heritage does sound better than others and it has to do with mass, the hollow crossbar and blah blah blah. I know not where the truth lies but it is true that it sounds obviously better. That said, for my use the tonal improvement is not enough of an advantage to take the place of the Kat Eyz. Playing at home, learning new songs and wanting to listen to the guitars' tone, yes.......the Heritage is great. But on a stage, plugged in playing live this tonal improvement is of little or no value and the KEs' functional superiority wins the day.

My two cents on capos.

Welcome to the yoke-style capo club, Doug! Certainly players that use a capo have their favorite and their own reasons for it being so, but for solid function, no design works better than a yoke-style. Paige, Elliot, G7th among others are all variations of this type capo with differences that appeal to different players. I have at least one of each of these names but the one that stays on my guitar is the Kat Eyz. It's not as fancy as the G7th or the Elliot but it has three design features that make it the one for me. Of all the yoke-style capos I have used, the KE has the smallest profile. The crossbar is of a very small diameter, not much larger than the frets on the fingerboard. This appeals to me. The crossbar latch is a very simple yet foolproof design. Both the G7th Heritage and the Elliot use a square latch over a square pin on the end of the crossbar. The G7th is better than the Elliot but neither is, to my eye and use, as functional and effective as the round stirrup design of the Kat Eyz. Lastly, the KE tension screw snugs up quicker than either of the others. Perhaps that has something to do with the "V" shaped, two points of contact neck cradle......I dunno.....but the KE is faster to place and snug than the Elliot or the G7th.

I will say that extensive personal testing of these capos as revealed (at least to my ears) a distinct tonal advantage with the G7th Heritage. I cannot figure out why, but this capo produces a richer tone than the Elliot or the KE, and the difference is quite obvious. I asked the G7th folks about this and they said yes, that the Heritage does sound better than others and it has to do with mass, the hollow crossbar and blah blah blah. I know not where the truth lies but it is true that it sounds obviously better. That said, for my use the tonal improvement is not enough of an advantage to take the place of the Kat Eyz. Playing at home, learning new songs and wanting to listen to the guitars' tone, yes.......the Heritage is great. But on a stage, plugged in playing live this tonal improvement is of little or no value and the KEs' functional superiority wins the day.

My two cents on capos.

Great info Buc! I wouldn't mind seeing a photo of the Kat Eyz.

Good info, Buc, never heard of Kat Eyz capo.

For Doug...

customLogo.gif?revision=9

My two cents on capos.

Piss-poor photos of the business end of three yoke-style capos and why I prefer the last one.......

Elliot: flat post on the crossbar with square latch; quite a "flat" lockup angle; have had this one pop open mid-tune

LzBEwyD.jpg

G7th Heritage: square post on the crossbar with mating latch; small lip on the post to better hold the latch makes this one better than the Elliot.

5Yg5KmF.jpg

Kat Eyz: substantial round post, slightly flared, on the crossbar with round, stirrup-like latch; this one is much more secure than the other two.

IxRNP56.jpg

As you can see, the crossbar of the KE is noticeably smaller than the others. The body of the KE is simply bend stainless steel bar stock, and the "V" shaped cradle contacts the neck at two points, centering the thing very well. And the KE is the least expensive of the three. I like it. Others may not. That is all.

Piss-poor photos of the business end of three yoke-style capos and why I prefer the last one.......

As you can see, the crossbar of the KE is noticeably smaller than the others. The body of the KE is simply bend stainless steel bar stock, and the "V" shaped cradle contacts the neck at two points, centering the thing very well. And the KE is the least expensive of the three. I like it. Others may not. That is all.

I also note that the KE doesn't have protection in the inside throat of the capo. This is where my Paige contacted the neck of my Martin 00028vs and damaged it.

I also note that the KE doesn't have protection in the inside throat of the capo. This is where my Paige contacted the neck of my Martin 00028vs and damaged it.

Help me out here, Doug. I don't understand how such damage could occur when placing a capo. It's not like it's being driven on the neck with a hammer or anything like that, and any contact with the side of the neck is with little or no pressure. There are no sharp edges on a capo body.......I just can't picture this......?

Help me out here, Doug. I don't understand how such damage could occur when placing a capo. It's not like it's being driven on the neck with a hammer or anything like that, and any contact with the side of the neck is with little or no pressure. There are no sharp edges on a capo body.......I just can't picture this......?

It was not wide enough to get up to fret five on the Martin. Of course, I only realized that when it scratched the binding. That's why I ordered the Heritage WIDE version. Plus the Heritage has rubber inside the arms of the capo.

Archived