Gibson Brands Forums

br-6f wiring

rdrenga

I took a flyer on a Br-6f (I assume since it has 3 jacks) and purchased new tubes. I powers up, but not getting any sound through the speaker (there's not even any static in the jack). Also, the speaker wires come through the chassis and into a (Transformer?). Two additional wires enter the same transformer in line with the speaker wires, but they are not attached to anything. Any help would be appreciated, as I am not a tube amp expert.

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds as if this amp uses a Field-coil speaker. This type of speaker does not have a permanent magnet but is energized by the power of the amp circuit. The extra wires carry the circuit's power to the field coil. If they are not hooked into the circuit correctly, they cannot allow the speaker to reproduce sound. If they are inadvertently grounded against the amp chassis, they could cause personal injury or permanent damage to the amp. To advise you further, It would be best if you posted detailed pictures of the amp, speaker and circuit. Be very careful as there are lethal voltages stored in the circuit and you can be injured or killed.

It sounds as if this amp uses a Field-coil speaker. This type of speaker does not have a permanent magnet but is energized by the power of the amp circuit. The extra wires carry the circuit's power to the field coil. If they are not hooked into the circuit correctly, they cannot allow the speaker to reproduce sound. If they are inadvertently grounded against the amp chassis, they could cause personal injury or permanent damage to the amp. To advise you further, It would be best if you posted detailed pictures of the amp, speaker and circuit. Be very careful as there are lethal voltages stored in the circuit and you can be injured or killed.

Archived