Gibson Brands Forums

GAS

Revolution Six

OH NO WAY!

I just bought the 2019 GIBSON USA 'SG' STANDARD w/MAESTRO VIBROLA....and, as far as looks go, it BLOWS THAT 'CUSTOM' GUITAR AWAY ! The Guitar I bought in 'AGED CHERRY' is only available as a LIMITED EDITION Guitar from AMS dot com....and is NOT even on GIBSON's web-site.

Of course I can NOT upload a picture here, BUT IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE GUITAR I JUST NAMED, and BELIEVE ME it SHAMES the CUSTOM 'SG' Pictured above, click this link here:

https://www.flickr.c...eposted-public/

Every once in a while GIBSON USA issue's a Guitar that is up there with the 'GOOD STUFF' in the Custom Shop and I thought the 2019 'SG' Standard w/Sideways Tremolo was it! It was price reduced from 2015's $2599 down to $1999 and it had the earmarks of such a Guitar. BUT NO !The 1st 2 Guitars AMS sent I had to send back due to defects.....BUT....the 3rd Guitar they sent , the 2019 GIBSON USA 'SG' STANDARD w/MAESTRO VIBROLA in 'Aged Cherry' was worth every USDollar and is probably $2,000 cheaper than the CUSTOM 'SG' PIC'd above....and if you take the time to click the link...you shall surely see what I mean. Its not the best picture BUT it blows that CUSTOM SHOP GUITAR AWAY ! I was initially despondent that my quest for the always elusive CUSTOM SHOP QUALITY GIBSON USA GUITAR had been denied yet again...but now seeing that 2019 'SG' CUSTOM w/Maestro Vibrola, LMAO....I'll take my 2019 GIBSON USA 'SG' STANDARD w/MAESTRO VIBROLA over that "CUSTOM" one any day of the week.

Pre-aged plating?

No thank you.

I've seen all kinds of people asking where to get good aged stuff or how to age their guitar or make their finish have checking or how to make it do so. I'd rather buy really nice used guitars or do the aging myself, through playing it for a long time.

I'd rather just pay way more for a new guitar that looks old so I can impress my friends and lie to them that I have a vintage guitar. Who buy a 2018 Ford Mustang and kicks in the front quarter panel cause they think it looks (reliced, used, vintage ect) better. The silliness. No one, but with guitars?

Which is really funny because if the person they're trying to impress knows about guitars, they'll know it's not vintage. If they don't know about guitars, they won't know one way or another and probably wouldn't care. I guess it's like the people who beat up leather jackets to make them look old or buy new distressed jeans or cut them up themselves. They're really not fooling anyone and are just making themselves out to be a liar. But, if someone likes that look, good for them. I'm not judging but I don't get it. It's not my thing.

• 2 weeks later...
... do the aging myself, through playing it for a long time.

I have a '79 SG Standard that I played the snot out of for decades, and it looks nothing like that. The usage markings are totally different, my chrome is still all shiny and non-pitted, and (even though well played) it looks like it was properly cared for. Mine got there the natural way. Why on God's green earth would any one want any beautiful SG marred up to look like a "vintage used" one (like either mine or the one in the OP)?

Archived