Gibson Brands Forums

No longer thinking about buying that old Gibson

Mr. Paul

It was on the market for nearly a month so seller was willing to deal. Price was such that it's resellable without a loss but after three days I've decided it's not going anywhere. Never had a smaller body guitar before, it's a whole different deal. Probably the biggest surprise was the slender neck, almost identical to a Martin Performing Artist. Playability is off the charts awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eph7h60mXPI

The thread title threw me off the track. . . In any event, 'looks like that guitar went to a good home, and the fingerpicking on the Beatles tune sounds perfect on it, even if I disagree about your thinking it looks like it was banging around in a trunk for 80 years, because from here it looks great for it's age. Would love to see a pic of the cool soundhole label these came with.

Enjoy.

No longer thinking about buying that old Gibson...

Oh, I see. You're no longer thinking about it since you've done bought it! And "it ain't going nowhere." Well, OK. Quite the vintage piece and, like you said, sounds remarkable! And no 3-chord charlie for you!

It was on the market for nearly a month so seller was willing to deal. Price was such that it's resellable without a loss but after three days I've decided it's not going anywhere. Never had a smaller body guitar before, it's a whole different deal. Probably the biggest surprise was the slender neck, almost identical to a Martin Performing Artist. Playability is off the charts awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eph7h60mXPI

Paul,

I'm glad to hear that you're happy with "li'l St Nick"!!

Fred

Thanks fellas, jt what a treat, thanks for sharing. Quite a difference from '28 to '29.

This one was in Fred's stable for a while and he was very helpful sharing his thoughts and filling in some of the guitar's history...Thanks Fred.

It came with pure nickels, like them a lot, not sure what I'll put on next. I'll see about a label photo, it's sporting some hard earned character ...

Quite a difference from '28 to '29.

Yes, indeed. From that 13.5 inch wide Robert Johnson-era body to the 14.75 wide L-00 style body. Scale length increased from 24.25 to 24.75, too. I love both incarnations, but am particularly fond of that rounded body shape of your guitar. I long owned a 1928 L-1, but, over the past year, sold it, along with all of my other small body vintage Gibsons, except for the Nick and my 1943 LG-1.

Thanks, again, for sharing your guitar with us.

• 2 weeks later...

The thread title threw me off the track. . . In any event, 'looks like that guitar went to a good home, and the fingerpicking on the Beatles tune sounds perfect on it, even if I disagree about your thinking it looks like it was banging around in a trunk for 80 years, because from here it looks great for it's age. Would love to see a pic of the cool soundhole label these came with.

Enjoy.

Got a photo of what's left of the label plus a couple more. The short scale, perfect neck reset & refret make this a wonderful player. Trying D'addario Nickel Bronze mediums, probably like the pure nickels a bit better.

45713976844_3d67636298_c.jpg

46437117551_9b6c4a0597_c.jpg

45713978374_653e9e3505_c.jpg

Archived