Gibson Brands Forums

1965 Hummingbird for sale on AGF

Jalex

Another of those old faded beaut-bursts. We should all be pleased there are so many left intact on this earth.

Something tells me the weight-cups between want (can afford) and offered/available are in cozmic balance

The saddle seems rather high (and yes, ceramic would be preferred).

However, , , something tells me it's the narrower 5/8 or 9/16 not the promised 11/16 nut.

Could be wrong, but my eyes kind of rrring - that's an alarm.

Let's hope I'm wrong.

However, , , something tells me it's the narrower 5/8 or 9/16 not the promised 11/16 nut.

Could be wrong, but my eyes kind of rrring - that's an alarm.

Let's hope I'm wrong.

Agree it looks narrow. A photograph with a digital caliper on the nut would be a must.

That nut width is such a deal breaker.

It would be a deal breaker for a lot of people if it is narrower than 1 11/16" (43mm). Remember that 1 11/16" is the width of most Gibson necks between about 1948 and 1965, an most post-war Martin necks as well. It's still the width of most Gibson electrics, although most modern Gibson acoustics are slightly wider (just under 44mm).

It would be a deal breaker for a lot of people if it is narrower than 1 11/16" (43mm). Remember that 1 11/16" is the width of most Gibson necks between about 1948 and 1965, an most post-war Martin necks as well. It's still the width of most Gibson electrics, although most modern Gibson acoustics are slightly wider (just under 44mm).

Still has the skinny butt neck carve. Baby ain't got no back. But if you want an old HB you do not have any choice. I would like to get my hands on a 1959 Epi Frontier which is pretty much the prototype for the HB to see what the neck carve is like. I am still waiting for Bozeman to give us an HB with the thicker neck profile but the early- to mid-1960s bracing.

By the way, the only place at least that I have found that carries an ADJ bone saddle for Gibsons is LMI in Philly. I gather they import them from Japan. I put one for my B45-12. The rosewood saddle is going back on next string change. On that guitar I like the wood saddle better tan either bone or tusq.

A good ceramic saddle can greatly improve a vintage Hummingbird if you're not overly fond of the muffled response that so many tend to deliver. Early '65 HB's are more likely to have the wider fretboard - sadly, somewhere during that year, that more or less disappeared. My '65 has the wide board and just a bit more lumber in the neck than most I've seen.

Hey .. he added a sound clip as requested.

Sounds pretty damn sweet i must say, especially fingerpicked, if Iwas in the market for a HB and nut width was not a deal breker, surely youd need to consider it ? Ooozes nectar.

https://reverb.com/item/17340554-gibson-hummingbird-cherry-sunburst-1965

Thoughts ... ?

A sweetie indeed - there's a lot of promise. I'd say ceramic in the winter - rosewood during summer msp_drool.gif

Now we're (happily) getting off into the weeds. . . because I would've thought the opposite, the rose' to warm it up, come winter.

Thanks for updating, EA. Nice playing on the Reverb sound clip by the seller, but so much nectar left on the table- yes, the fine fingerpicking shows the 'Bird can do clarity, but I've always felt it's strength was as a strummer.

Hey .. he added a sound clip as requested.

Sounds pretty damn sweet i must say, especially fingerpicked, if Iwas in the market for a HB and nut width was not a deal breker, surely youd need to consider it ? Ooozes nectar.

https://reverb.com/item/17340554-gibson-hummingbird-cherry-sunburst-1965

Thoughts ... ?

Sounds pretty stunning for a bird with a rosewood adj. Definitely a candidate for seasonal "swap the saddle" experimentation.

Where I live in Florida, we might use a rosewood or ebony saddle in summer, since the air conditioning is on and the inside humidity is about 40%.

In winter, if the windows are open, the humidity might climb to 60%, and I would swap to bone or ceramic.

That guitar could be a whole lot of fun, and it's beautiful.

Sounds pretty stunning for a bird with a rosewood adj. Definitely a candidate for seasonal "swap the saddle" experimentation.

Where I live in Florida, we might use a rosewood or ebony saddle in summer, since the air conditioning is on and the inside humidity is about 40%.

In winter, if the windows are open, the humidity might climb to 60%, and I would swap to bone or ceramic.

That guitar could be a whole lot of fun, and it's beautiful.

And apparently defo 1 11/16 nut width, been having a little exchange with the seller. Those strings are apprently pretty dead, yet they still deliver so much tone, great specimen.

And I love the burst / natural blend from the fading .....oh, and THAT pickguard.

No, Im not buying it.

And apparently defo 1 11/16 nut width, been having a little exchange with the seller. Those strings are apprently pretty dead, yet they still deliver so much tone, great specimen.

And I love the burst / natural blend from the fading .....oh, and THAT pickguard.

No, Im not buying it.

Aha, , , gotta believe it. The guy knows what he's doin'.

And the bird has flown. .

Archived