Gibson Brands Forums

What Camcorder for recording gigs?

TheFlame

Hi - I think this topic fits this sub-forum.

I'm wondering what others use to record video of band gigs. My son plays in a band, and we like to record it to watch later. He likes to critique songs, look for goofs, whatever. It's fun.

I've got an older Canon Vixia which creates MP4 files that can be viewed on a computer OK. I want to author some DVD's and put titles, graphics in, etc. I have Corel Video Studio X10 which will do this, but once it converts the MP4 files from my Canon, they look like crap and are all pixelated. I'm pretty sure I'm using the program correctly. I think it comes down to the quality of the video camera.

Any suggestions? I don't want to break the bank, so let's say < $500

...I've got an older Canon Vixia which creates MP4 files that can be viewed on a computer OK. I want to author some DVD's and put titles, graphics in, etc. I have Corel Video Studio X10 which will do this, but once it converts the MP4 files from my Canon, they look like crap and are all pixelated. I'm pretty sure I'm using the program correctly. I think it comes down to the quality of the video camera.....

I haven't messed with video and should! (I have a very video-capable Canon Rebel T3i (I guess now they're T6 and T7?), but I've just been using it for photos.) So I have no answers for you, but I'll be interested to see how more knowledgeable folks might chime in here. Is "mp4" a current or outdated video standard? Google says 1,920 x 1,080 pixels with a 16:9 aspect ratio is referred to as 1080p, or Full HD. (The Rebels have that.) Corel will have to know what resolution you're feeding it. Maybe it does automatically. I would expect that's a pretty good "video studio". Like you said - sounds like fun.

I noticed a site that recommended recording with a separate device for audio, such as a little DR05, then sync'ing the video and audio later....

Best of luck with your project!

Archived