Gibson Brands Forums

J-45...how to find a great one?

davistld01

I’m a 60-year old beginner...and have had several nice guitars in the last couple of years trying to find what I really liked. I must say, I considered myself a “Martin guy” until someone plopped a J45 in my lap a few weeks ago...and it sounded like that sound in my head a want a guitar to sound like...if you know what I mean.

I have read that you need to play several J45s to find a “great one”, but my local music shops are small & don’t carry much. I’ll probably end up buying online. How can I know I’ll get a “great one” if I can’t play it first?

I think many of us fall for this thinking. When we buy something we want to reaffirm that decision. We want others to as well. Bottom line is “a great one” will be one you get set up properly, and that you play a lot. The guitar will wake up/open up.

How often have you read a NGD post where the poster, who bought online, made sure to state that the guitar shop guy played seven of them and picked this one out special?We all need to feel like we got a great deal, or bought the unicorn. I think modern Martins and Gibsons are fairly consistent in build and tone. You can buy online just fine. I would try Wildwood or CME, and buy new? They will negotiate on price well, and they have good return policies. I’ve bought from them often.

I’ve bought new, and I’ve bought used. My successful used purchases have come from folks I knew or respected... I own two Gibsons that I got from forum members here.

Have fun, and enjoy the GAS.

First - Hi, , , how excellent to hear you are starting up now as the second youth begins. No frankly, you are old, but not too old - and ditto here.

Second - What's great to your ears'n'soul isn't necessarily great for me or him or her.

The instruments hold so many variables - bass/mids/trebs - balance - volume - feel - tone-separation etc. - that there's no final print.

My advice is to search as many as possible, fx on YouTube and listen carefully in the headphones.

Compare back and forth with several Tube-windows open - and do it over a week.

Now such an investigation won't give you the 100 % accurate picture, but you will built up ability to kind of steer from there.

This means you will be ready to send the preferred link to the seller and if he has, let's say 3 45's, you can trust him to pick the one that comes closest.

Do that 2 or 3 with on-line stores and be sure the Gibsons can be returned.

This will be highly exciting in itself. And remember that though the individual J-45s differ they are still all contemporary 45s.

You will hardly go wrong. Actually never heard a complaint about them. People simply fall in lOVE with these guitars and never look back.

Good luck and keep us reported

I would suggest contacting Wildwood Guitars and have them pull 3 or 4 serials and call you with their thoughts on those after they play them.

They have been known to do a demo comparing guitars for a customer that is committed to buying one. Personally I think there's a lot of right answers out there as new J45s are generally very good guitars.

You wont know until you learn to play the guitar properly and have experience with them, simple as that. The best way in meantime is to try to order a model that is highly likely to be very good, if you are looking at a modern then consider a J-45 Vintage or True Vintage. They are consistently very good, some even great.

My reco would be to take a chance on a 2nd hand J-45 True Vintage, they are always better played in than anything new.

I considered myself a “Martin guy” until someone plopped a J45 in my lap a few weeks ago...and it sounded like that sound in my head a want a guitar to sound like...if you know what I mean.

I isolated the point where ‘someone plopped a J45’ - can you ask that person what model the guitar was? ie.there is a substantial difference between a 1942 J45, a 1950 J45, a 1965 J45 and the various modern models. Start with finding a similar vintage to what you played and liked.

BluesKing777.

I got my J45 from Wildwood for the exact reason of not being able to get a sampling to play in the area. I asked the salesperson to be my eyes and ears for me, compare all the J45s and pick out the best. I've no proof they did it, but he said the whole shop got into it, was a fun exercise for them and I ended up with an awesome J45 IMO.

Good luck in your hunt, enjoy the journey!

I got my J45 from Wildwood for the exact reason of not being able to get a sampling to play in the area. I asked the salesperson to be my eyes and ears for me, compare all the J45s and pick out the best. I've no proof they did it, but he said the whole shop got into it, was a fun exercise for them and I ended up with an awesome J45 IMO.

One other place I would look would be Fullers Guitars in Houston. I'd call to see if they have any used J45s on hand, and if so, would probably be willing to get one on their recommendation having the impression quite a few magic guitars come out of that shop

I think many of us fall for this thinking. When we buy something we want to reaffirm that decision. We want others to as well. Bottom line is “a great one” will be one you get set up properly, and that you play a lot. The guitar will wake up/open up.

How often have you read a NGD post where the poster, who bought online, made sure to state that the guitar shop guy played seven of them and picked this one out special?We all need to feel like we got a great deal, or bought the unicorn. I think modern Martins and Gibsons are fairly consistent in build and tone. You can buy online just fine. I would try Wildwood or CME, and buy new? They will negotiate on price well, and they have good return policies. I’ve bought from them often.

I’ve bought new, and I’ve bought used. My successful used purchases have come from folks I knew or respected... I own two Gibsons that I got from forum members here.

Have fun, and enjoy the GAS.

This is correct

....How can I know I'll get a "great one" if I can't play it first?

Occasionally there's a lemon, but most are going to be great. The odds are with you. Online purchases open up A LOT of possibilities. Do your research, including research on the seller. Contact the seller. Ask questions. Make sure of the return policy just in case. Luck is with you!

I endorse the idea of finding out exactly what you originally played. After all, that's the one that 'put the hook in you'. Go from there, but don't expect to exactly duplicate what that one delivered. You can get reasonably close, though.

Yes, that was the thinking here, as well, OC. . . to have the J-45 that has THE sound you’re looking for, local like that, makes things a bit easier. If that guitar’s owner is not interested in your generous offer, then a good return policy, combined with a visit with the guitar that has the sound might be a help.

Also- kinda strange to hear of a beginner who has had “several” nice guitars in the past, and considered himself a Martin guy. . it’s more typical to aspire to a Martin after years of playing. Me thinks someone is just being modest.

Occasionally there's a lemon, but most are going to be great. The odds are with you. Online purchases open up A LOT of possibilities. Do your research, including research on the seller. Contact the seller. Ask questions. Make sure of the return policy just in case. Luck is with you!

One bit of information, as a side note. More often than not, when a seller has had an instrument listed as "no returns accepted", I've still reached out to the seller and asked if they would go for a 24 hour approval period, I would of course pay the shipping back, and most of the time the seller has agreed to it. HOWEVER, if you ask, do it through the site e-mail system (eBay or Reverb), that way it is documented the seller agreed to the approval period just in case there becomes a difference of what was agreed upon.

I endorse the idea of finding out exactly what you originally played. After all, that's the one that 'put the hook in you'. Go from there, but don't expect to exactly duplicate what that one delivered. You can get reasonably close, though.

On a related note, one recipe for disappointment is to play one you really like at a dealer and then buy one online to save a few bucks.

I did the same with my Maple AJ that I got from Wildwood. Bruce picked it out and assured me that it sounded incredible and had an excellent neck angle. He was right, I've never come across a better sounding off-the-peg guitar. I flew in from the UK to collect it, there were no maple AJs from the batch of 64 they made left for sale in Europe at the time so I was hugely relieved to find that Wildwood had a couple in stock.

I'd absolutely and unreservedly recommend buying from Wildwood if you are buying sight unseen in the US.

FWIW, modern J45s are some of the most consistently good guitars I've come across. I've only played one which I thought was less than stellar, which was a limited edition Adj topped Standard. That wasn't BAD as such, just a little tight. I've played dozens of others which have pleased me no end. I'd say your chances of finding a great one are excellent.

Don't overthink this...."the great one" is illusive and subject to the player at hand. Odds are you can purchase a J-45, and it will be fine. Make it your own. I mean own it....play it hard. Try different strings n swap out nut/saddle as this will allow you to hear what you want from the instrument. [thumbup] Have fun!!

If you can play a couple of them, pick the one you like best. If you only have one to pick from, get a good setup and have a blast. Don't make this decision more than it is. I currently own seven Gibsons. Don't think I compared any of them to another same model. The Dove, J45TV, AJ, Southern Jumbo, and J100 were all bought online. Never played any of those five until it arrived. To me, each one is a great representative of its breed.

Also, keep in mind that a well made solid top guitar will get better and better with age. There is always a break in period where the guitar starts to open up. And, then there is the long term affect of a guitar settling in as a unibody, wood aging, responding to sound vibration, etc etc. I have some guitars that were quiet when new that now have sound that booms out of them, initially loud guitars that turned sweet and mellow with age, some fair playing guitars that turned outstanding, etc. But, never one that was well played and well cared for that ever got worse.

Just something to keep in mind.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Welcome, Davis.

You have been given a lot of great information here from some very knowledgeable Gibson owners. One additional thing I would pay attention to, especially if you plan to buy a guitar online without playing it first, would be the neck profile. Most newer J-45's Standards are built with a modern Slim Taper profile. But be aware that you may find that some J-45 models have Modified V, Round, or Period Correct V profiles. Each one feels different than the others. The new J-45's that are being built to replicate vintage models typically have heftier profiles and feel fuller in the fretting hand. Some people love the round chunky vintage style necks, but they are a deal breaker for others. I personally find that going from one profile to another is not a big deal. Just playing for a couple of minutes seems to be all I need to comfortably adjust. My favorite profile seems to be whatever I am playing at that moment. But, if you have small hands, or are prone to injuries like Carpal Tunnel or Trigger Finger you may find that one profile works well for you, while others do not.

Keep us posted on your quest.

What part of the country are you located? There’s a lot of 5 Star dealers not as well known that we can recommend or there may be one of the members close enough to you.

I agree that the quality nowadays is pretty consistent and if you buy on line, use a 5 Star dealer with a generous return policy. Despite all its shortcomings, Guitar Center is great for returns and if you buy on line, you can return locally and not incur any shipping costs.

Sometimes the only difference between a dud and a great one is a set of strings and a good setup.

Sometimes the only difference between a dud and a great one is a set of strings and a good setup.

That's it in a nutshell. Modern Gibsons are pretty consistent in build quality and tonewoods, so the difference is often in the details.

Archived