Gibson Brands Forums

Help identify my Gibson guitar

Lonzo

My wife recently inherited this Gibson guitar, which belonged to her dad that passed away in October of this year at the age of 94. We have no interest of selling it but would like to know more information such as model, age, and value. I can't find any labels or numbers on the neck or inside the guitar. Thank for any help

post-97036-006150200 1544461903_thumb.jpg

post-97036-021715900 1544461927_thumb.jpg

post-97036-076358900 1544461985_thumb.jpg

post-97036-073553000 1544462014_thumb.jpg

post-97036-033939000 1544462049_thumb.jpg

post-97036-044435000 1544462084_thumb.jpg

Great blazes, look at the condition of that old Gibson. . . The pics of the headstock front, back, and upper neck- looks to be VERY lightly played . Are those nylon strings on there? ?

. . . I’m gonna say 1946 LG-2.

RIP Dad-in-law… You took very good care of this one.

Great blazes, look at the condition of that old Gibson. . . The pics of the headstock front, back, and upper neck- looks to be VERY lightly played . Are those nylon strings on there? ?

. . . I’m gonna say 1946 LG-2.

RIP Dad-in-law… You took very good care of this one.

Thanks for the information. I don't think the strings are nylon, looks more like a metal wire string.

Lovely LG-2!

Overall condition can be hard to determine from pictures, but it does indeed appear to have been well cared for. You might want to contact Gruhn Guitars in Nashville to discuss having a formal appraisal done.

Edit - I'm thinking more about structural condition here, which you might want to first have assessed by a well-regarded local luthier, not the kid stringing guitars at Guitar Center!

Lovely LG-2!

Overall condition can be hard to determine from pictures, but it does indeed appear to have been well cared for. You might want to contact Gruhn Guitars in Nashville to discuss having a formal appraisal done.

Edit - I'm thinking more about structural condition here, which you might want to first have assessed by a well-regarded local luthier, not the kid stringing guitars at Guitar Center!

Thanks for the information.

Black Diamond Strings?

As you probably figured out by now I know very little about guitars. The strings are black, but I don't know if the Black Diamond you refer to is a brand name or type of strings, either way I still couldn't tell you what kind they are other than they are black. This guitar stayed under his bed and I'm sure he played some in his younger years, but I had only seen it a few times and I've been in the family over 50 years.

As you probably figured out by now I know very little about guitars. The strings are black, but I don't know if the Black Diamond you refer to is a brand name or type of strings, either way I still couldn't tell you what kind they are other than they are black. This guitar stayed under his bed and I'm sure he played some in his younger years, but I had only seen it a few times and I've been in the family over 50 years.

As the others have pointed out, this appears to be a very well-kept 1946 (or early 1947) LG-2.

Look straight down into the soundhole, and see if a faint "LG 2" is inkstamped on the centerline of the back. While you're looking inside, look at the back of the neckblock (the vertical block on the centerline inside, under the fretboard extension over the top of the guitar) and see if there is a number ink-stamped there it would probably be four digits, maybe followed by a space and another digit, which could be either ink-stamped or hand-written.

Don't worry if these numbers aren't there: Gibson did not always stamp identifying numbers on the inside of these guitars.

As the others have pointed out, this appears to be a very well-kept 1946 (or early 1947) LG-2.

Look straight down into the soundhole, and see if a faint "LG 2" is inkstamped on the centerline of the back. While you're looking inside, look at the back of the neckblock (the vertical block on the centerline inside, under the fretboard extension over the top of the guitar) and see if there is a number ink-stamped there it would probably be four digits, maybe followed by a space and another digit, which could be either ink-stamped or hand-written.

Don't worry if these numbers aren't there: Gibson did not always stamp identifying numbers on the inside of these guitars.

Thanks for the information. I looked inside for the numbers, but could not see any at either place. We are not going to sell, but curious to what the value would be. After being told this is an 1946 LG-2 I looked at eBay and some had sold there in the two to three thousand dollar range. I know it's impossible to tell without seeing the guitar, but do you feel that would be a reasonable estimate for this LG-2.

Thanks for the information. I looked inside for the numbers, but could not see any at either place. We are not going to sell, but curious to what the value would be. After being told this is an 1946 LG-2 I looked at eBay and some had sold there in the two to three thousand dollar range. I know it's impossible to tell without seeing the guitar, but do you feel that would be a reasonable estimate for this LG-2.

Judging from the photos, the guitar may be in exceptional condition. If it is, value would be at least $3k, and perhaps significantly higher. Only a first-hand examination will verify condition and value. George Gruhn (Gruhn Guitars in Nashville) offers appraisal services at a reasonable fee. You may want a professional appraisal for insurance purposes if you plan to keep it.

You also want a good case to keep it in, which will cost maybe $200.

Judging from the photos, the guitar may be in exceptional condition. If it is, value would be at least $3k, and perhaps significantly higher. Only a first-hand examination will verify condition and value. George Gruhn (Gruhn Guitars in Nashville) offers appraisal services at a reasonable fee. You may want a professional appraisal for insurance purposes if you plan to keep it.

You also want a good case to keep it in, which will cost maybe $200.

Thanks alot for your help. We have the original case to keep it in.

Is the original case a "hard", inflexible case, or is it more like thick cardboard with a thin fuzzy lining? A picture would help.

It looks more like a thick cardboard with fuzzy lining. I can send you a picture tomorrow

It looks more like a thick cardboard with fuzzy lining. I can send you a picture tomorrow

Please do.

That's the most likely case that would have been sold (as a separate item) with the guitar back when it was new. Although you should keep that case, it isn't enough protection for the guitar today, and you need a better one. I'm sure folks here would be glad to advise you on this one, since cases arouse a fair amount of passion around here.

Please do.

That's the most likely case that would have been sold (as a separate item) with the guitar back when it was new. Although you should keep that case, it isn't enough protection for the guitar today, and you need a better one. I'm sure folks here would be glad to advise you on this one, since cases arouse a fair amount of passion around here.

I took pictures of the case, but can't get them to attach because the message says this file was too big to upload. I can try latter but have to go for now. Daughter has job for me today Thanks for all your help. Lonnie PS: The case does look to be the hard black cardboard type with a blue velvet type lining.

I took pictures of the case, but can't get them to attach because the message says this file was too big to upload. I can try latter but have to go for now. Daughter has job for me today Thanks for all your help. Lonnie PS: The case does look to be the hard black cardboard type with a blue velvet type lining.

Those cases were the cheapest "standard" case you could buy for a Gibson for many years. I bought one in 1966 for about $10-15, when the next step up true hard case was about $35-40. The cardboard cases are OK for a cheaper guitar that sits under a bed or in a closet, but are inadequate for a really nice vintage guitar like your LG-2. Spend the money for a decent case.

The good thing is that the LG body is essentially the same size and shape as a classical guitar, so there are plenty of cases to choose from.

Here's a link to the TKL website, as a starting point. The Premier series, with a list price of around $170, is a good all-around case if you aren't flying with the guitar as checked baggage, but just need a good, solid case. Shop around for these. There are other good brands out there as well, but TKL is a major player.

TKL

Those cases were the cheapest "standard" case you could buy for a Gibson for many years. I bought one in 1966 for about $10-15, when the next step up true hard case was about $35-40. The cardboard cases are OK for a cheaper guitar that sits under a bed or in a closet, but are inadequate for a really nice vintage guitar like your LG-2. Spend the money for a decent case.

The good thing is that the LG body is essentially the same size and shape as a classical guitar, so there are plenty of cases to choose from.

Here's a link to the TKL website, as a starting point. The Premier series, with a list price of around $170, is a good all-around case if you aren't flying with the guitar as checked baggage, but just need a good, solid case. Shop around for these. There are other good brands out there as well, but TKL is a major player.

TKL

I'm sure the case we have is the $10-15 cheap case from the looks of it. We will get a better case since the gituar looks to be in great condition for the age. Thanks again for all your help. Take care and have a merry Christmas. Lonnie

Be careful about the comment made that the classical guitar shape is the same as the LG shape and similar cases. Classical guitars are 12 frets from the nut to the body while a LG is 14 frets from the nut to the body, so a classical guitar case could be too short for a LG.

What you are really looking for is a Concert Size guitar case. LG guitars are considered a Concert Size guitar size (as opposed to say a Dreadnaught Size guitar or a Jumbo Size guitar.

Hope this helps.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Be careful about the comment made that the classical guitar shape is the same as the LG shape and similar cases. Classical guitars are 12 frets from the nut to the body while a LG is 14 frets from the nut to the body, so a classical guitar case could be too short for a LG.

What you are really looking for is a Concert Size guitar case. LG guitars are considered a Concert Size guitar size (as opposed to say a Dreadnaught Size guitar or a Jumbo Size guitar.

Hope this helps.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Thanks for the information.

If you do get a new case, remember to keep the original. I owned a '57 ES-125 with the original "chipboard" case and I bought a new hard shell for it. When I sold the guitar, the shop wanted the original case and not the new one.

Thanks for the information. Not planning to sell, but can see where the original case could add value.

Archived