Gibson Brands Forums

L-48 with an intriguing logo. No serial or FON

Wsaiiv

Hello good folks,

I'm considering buying this L48 but fail to find a serial or FON on it. What put the doubt in my head is the logo - looks like a post 1947 one, but I have never seen an S like this one on an old archtop model.

Can any of you experts look at it please and tell me what you think? I will attach pictures of the guitar and another picture to explain what I think the S should be.

Thank you in advance!

post-97055-020596000 1544630298_thumb.jpg

post-97055-018593300 1544630321_thumb.jpg

post-97055-005418400 1544630379_thumb.jpg

post-97055-056436200 1544630492_thumb.jpg

You posted two images of Gibson logos, both of which look normal and correct. I'm not seeing any significant difference between the two, not even with regard to the shape of the "S". The angle of the first photo is slightly different, which may be causing the details of the "S" to appear slightly (barely) different. Other than that, I'm puzzled by your doubt.

Thanks Jim.

The closeup pocture is what I saw most of the L48 online to look like.

The pic with complete headstock is the one I am looking to buy.

Now regarding the S, mine doesn't have the little bars at both ends of the letter S, while most logos in the 50s 60s 70s had it.

Also with no Serial or FON, I'm more sceptical.

Does that make any sense?

Now regarding the S, mine doesn't have the little bars at both ends of the letter S, while most logos in the 50s 60s 70s had it.

I guess what I am saying is I never seen an S looking like that on a Gibson archtop from 50-70s. Maybe on newer LP...

post-97055-023804700 1544639469_thumb.jpg

Thanks for elaborating, Wsaiiv. I think you're wise to be careful these days, and I admire your attention to detail. That said, I think that we might see more similarity between the S's in your two photos if the first photo was a bit clearer, and from the same angle. There still might be a slight variance between the S's, but I'd say it's extremely minor and nothing to be too concerned about.

Also, on some of the "low end" models like the L-48, I think it's not too unusual for there to be no numbering inside the guitar (but be sure to look into the treble side f-hole also).

The guitar looks correct to me for a post-'47 L-48. There are at least two slight variations on the block logo over the years. Lack of an FON on an L-48 is not unusual. They were the entry-level archtop when introduced, and did not always get identifying numbers.

The one in the photos looks good, but be aware that the L-48 does not bring a lot of money these days. Most people after archtops are looking for one of the more upscale models, like the L-7. Check comparable prices before you buy.

Archived