Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Montana gossip

Hogeye

ksdaddy. I know you are a moderator. So what is up with this Hogfish guy. Do you know him? What's his deal? He rolls in, name drops all these Gibson employees us regular folks are supposed to be impressed by and , purposely starts threads he knows is going to start controversy and fights and they cry's like a baby when people don't see it his way.

Yes, I know Hogfish, Hogleg, Hogjowl. Not going to defend him because he doesn't need me to do that for him.

As to him being abrasive, yep. He can be. But I also stood three feet from him when he made the statement about Henry: "He may be an ***hole, but he's MY ***hole." I kinda view Hogdog the same way. If you met him face to face and talked with him and realized the absolute wealth of information he carries around, the abrasiveness wouldn't be a big deal to put up with.

I'd shut this thread down but then people would question why.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I know Hogfish, Hogleg, Hogjowl. Not going to defend him because he doesn't need me to do that for him.

As to him being abrasive, yep. He can be. But I also stood three feet from him when he made the statement about Henry: "He may be an ***hole, but he's MY ***hole." I kinda view Hogdog the same way. If you met him face to face and talked with him and realized the absolute wealth of information he carries around, the abrasiveness wouldn't be a big deal to put up with.

He's a good source of information that you just have to tolerate his grouchiness. I'd be happy if people said that about me.

Agreed..

Most of you Gibson diehards.. seem to have issues with Valued Info.. None of us have any inside info of quanity made, dates of manufacture, , how there made,, or anything of the sort.. Hogeye knows more than all of us on this board knows.. and it seems most have a hard time with it..

Ive been collecting for along time.. Ive bought more Gibson guitars than most of you combined on this board.. and I still appreciate the fact that valued info I never knew of.. is added to my knowledge of the Gibson path.. as for the Folks that work at Gibson Montana , there the ones that gave there Labors of Love to provide you with your likes..

You must like them alot.. I know, I do.....

Thanks Slim... and tomorrow I am playing my AJ.... Some parts of life are real good.

I actually started playing Mandolin too. In our set I play three songs using it... Man of Constant Sorrow, Amie, and Atlantic City (Levon Helm style). One day... a Gibson Mandolin will be in my hands!

I ended up with another F4...

Most of you Gibson diehards.. seem to have issues with Valued Info.. None of us have any inside info of quanity made, dates of manufacture, , how there made,, or anything of the sort.. Hogeye knows more than all of us on this board knows.. and it seems most have a hard time with it..

Ive been collecting for along time.. Ive bought more Gibson guitars than most of you combined on this board.. and I still appreciate the fact that valued info I never knew of.. is added to my knowledge of the Gibson path.. as for the Folks that work at Gibson Montana , there the ones that gave there Labors of Love to provide you with your likes..

You must like them alot.. I know, I do.....

I know you don't like to talk about your collection but I know it is quite significant. You never cease to amaze me Slim.

Hope to see you soon

I know you don't like to talk about your collection but I know it is quite significant. You never cease to amaze me Slim.

Hope to see you soon

ya.. Im like a Hermit.. out of sight out of mind..

when it comes to these wood boxes . I can surely appreciate the Time and craftsman ship put into each one.. and Knowing some of those folks that were apart of these, makes them more special. I like venturing out of the box on occasion seeking out other makers Guitars and mandolins .. but i seem to go right back to where it all started.. The Gibsons and The Martins..

That was a good quote. Do you remember The best one of them all? We had a Q& A session at the very first Homecoming and a guy was grinding me in front of 40 or so folks. He was obsessed with how many windings should be on a tuner post and a lot of other useless questions. I walked over to him and said in a very stern voice "Just shut the hell up and play the damn thing". He got a panicked look on his face and I started laughing. Pretty soon we were all laughing. It set the tone for the whole "Homecoming" and from that day to today whenever someone asks a silly question the whole room shouts out " Just Shut the hell up and play the damn thing".

Now about that banjo on your office wall. That is way cool and you need to know I have one vey similar to it. Maybe sometime we can do "Dueling Banjos". How funny would that be?

I worry about the conceit of calling something a "useless" question, especially if the person asking it is a beginner on a genuine search for information. That the reply was, "Just shut the hell up" is also troubling. I've never really understood why some people take delight in being rude to strangers, even seeing that rudeness as something to boast about. We were all beginners and strangers once.

ya.. Im like a Hermit.. out of sight out of mind..

when it comes to these wood boxes . I can surely appreciate the Time and craftsman ship put into each one.. and Knowing some of those folks that were apart of these, makes them more special. I like venturing out of the box on occasion seeking out other makers Guitars and mandolins .. but i seem to go right back to where it all started.. The Gibsons and The Martins..

I bet many of those old boxes don't get played enough. You should share them around to fellow Calgarians slim! Playing only improves them ya know!

....Van is the guy that .... put the wonderful sunburst finishes on Gibson's.

Well, no question the Gibson teardrop burst is the tops. Here's some recent handiwork out of Montana I happened to snag....

son513-2.jpg

I gotta add, though, I got a great burst on a Guild 12 when they had somebody spraying down in Corona. Tough to beat this jumbo!

jib786.jpg

I understand the new owners were in Montana and gave the employees the pep talk and all things are going along pretty much as usual.

Good to hear!

We are going to have a pre Christmas get together as "Dave from Salt Lake" is coming up for a visit....

Huh. I'm in that area. Didn't know there was a celebrity here. msp_wink.gif

To me a "great sunurst" from another builder is a reference to how close they come to Gibson's standard. The Guild is a nice one, Martin's CEO7 looks like a mistake that should've been corrected, CEO8 a joke that isn't funny. Kopp's always look harsh to me. Cheers.

Archived